Supply changes

The development team behind the award-winning games Decisive Campaigns: From Warsaw To Paris and Advanced Tactics is back with a new and improved game engine that focuses on the decisive year and theater of World War II! Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue simulates the German drive to Stalingrad and into the Caucasus of the summer of 1942, as well as its May preludes (2nd Kharkov offensive, Operation Trappenjagd) and also the Soviet winter counter-offensive (Operation Uranus) that ended with the encirclement of 6th Army in Stalingrad and the destruction of the axis minor armies. With many improvements including the PBEM++ system, this is a release to watch for wargamers!

Moderator: Vic

DBeves

Supply changes

Post by DBeves »

Vic - I know supply has changed - think I preffered the old system but can you clarify ?

It now seems that supply is routed to all units only from the supreme hq rather than going through their assigned headquarters first? As I say I think the old system was better but not sure I quite understand the impact. In the manual for WtP it says the AP numbers are from the source HQ - so presumably for WtP that would have been the immediate superior HQ of the unit. Now it seems the range is only counted from the Supreme HQ ? Surely that makes it more diffcult to supply as the ranges to units are inveitably longer from a single HQ than they were going from the many intermmediate HQs. I know we have resource centers etc but am I understanding this correctly ? Does that mean there is now no point doing a supply trace from any HQ other than the supreme HQ.

Sorry - bit unclear on this ...
sanderz

RE: Supply changes

Post by sanderz »

i was also wondering about this

and did i read somehwere that supreme HQ can't be moved?

also - how exactly does this bit work?

16.10.1. LOGISTICAL BONUS
Minor towns give a 10 supply movement AP bonus, medium towns give a 20 supply
movement AP bonus and a major town gives a 50 supply movement AP bonus.

does it add up all the towns in your own possession? wouldn't this lead to ridiculously long supply lines?

or

does it just count towns on route to each individual unit

or
what?

thanks
DBeves

Post by DBeves »

Mmmm ... well - just checked the supply trace and it now seems it ONLY traces from the superior HQ regardless of what other HQ is selected.

I really dont like this change to the model as it seems a retrograde step for the game as it lowers the importance of HQs. Also - I had presumed the air supply worked by dropping the supply on an HQ in a pocket and then it would distribute supplies in the pocket - given the rule change it would seem this cannot now work like this so - as the manual doesnt say so - I presume you have to actually drop it on each individual unit. I am aware its likely that Vic ran into some programming issues with the trace to hqs - but as I say - do feel its a retrograde step.
Kumppi

Post by Kumppi »

I'm not 100% sure, but it seems to work something like this.

Let's say OKH (which is where the supply trace always starts) is in a medium town. So that gives you a 20 supply movement AP bonus. Now if you start to count from that town going by rail hexes you only have to pay 1 AP until you reach the hex that is 21 rail hexes away from OKH. Now after that you have to pay 1 AP for each rail hex. If there is another town let's say 10 rail hexes away from OKH it does not give any bonuses to your supply movement, because that town is INSIDE your original supply movement bonus range. It's only after a supply movement bonus has ended that a town gives you another bonus and the size of that bonus is depended on size of the town.

I hope that makes some sense [:)]
Vic

Post by Vic »

Hi there DBeves,

Airsupply into a pocket is distributed to all units and HQs in the pocket. So just do an air supply mission on anairfield hex and you'll get some supplies to all units.

As for the supply routes. Yes its a simplification. I found a lot of people playing DC1 had problems wrapping their head around it since you could not show 1 layer on the map that would give the supply network for all units (since the supply state of a hex is different based on the command chain of a unit).

This is more straight forward.

I am sorry I did not make everything more complicated, there have been a number of design choices in which i made things a little bit easier. Also it was really a lot of calculations and slowed the game down quite much.

If you want you can do a public beta test with the old rules. Go to the editor => stngs => rulevars => select category 'supply' => set rulevar 887 to 0 (disabling easy supply/autoreinf rules)
This should work properly for supply, but has not been fully tested with replacement troops (which are also routed through HQs now). Any feedback is welcome, but playing with this option turned on falls outside regular game support, so no guarantees. Also expect a significant wait at startup of turn of like around minute when playing with this option turned on.

also... hi sanderz,
The logistical center bonus is only cumulative if the radius' of the bonus of the different towns do not overlap.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
DBeves

Post by DBeves »

ORIGINAL: Vic

Hi there DBeves,

Airsupply into a pocket is distributed to all units and HQs in the pocket. So just do an air supply mission on anairfield hex and you'll get some supplies to all units.

As for the supply routes. Yes its a simplification. I found a lot of people playing DC1 had problems wrapping their head around it since you could not show 1 layer on the map that would give the supply network for all units (since the supply state of a hex is different based on the command chain of a unit).

I am sorry I did not make everything more complicated, there have been a number of design choices in which i made things a little bit easier. Also it was really a lot of calculations and slowed the game down quite much.

If you want you can do a public beta test with the old rules. Go to the editor => stngs => rulevars => select category 'supply' => set rulevar 887 to 0 (disabling easy supply/autoreinf rules)
This should work properly for supply, but has not been fully tested with replacement troops (which are also routed through HQs now). Any feedback is welcome, but playing with this option turned on falls outside regular game support, so no guarantees. Also expect a significant wait at startup of turn of like around minute when playing with this option turned on.

also... hi sanderz,
The logistical center bonus is only cumulative if the radius' of the bonus of the different towns do not overlap.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Vic

Thanks Vic - I may give that a try ... So you can only airdrop supply to an airfield ? Manual doesnt explicitly say that ... so its considered landed supply rather than parachuted ?
Vic

Post by Vic »

@DBeves,

You do not lose any supplies if you drop on an airfield. If you try to deliver to a non-airfield hex it will be considered parachuted and you'll lose half the supplies dropped.

best,
Vic
Visit www.vrdesigns.net for the latest news, polls, screenshots and blogs on Shadow Empire, Decisive Campaigns and Advanced Tactics
DBeves

Post by DBeves »

@DBeves,

You do not lose any supplies if you drop on an airfield. If you try to deliver to a non-airfield hex it will be considered parachuted and you'll lose half the supplies dropped.

best,
Vic

Thanks Vic ... Fantastic Game ....
DBeves

Post by DBeves »

Hi there DBeves,

also... hi sanderz,

Hope this helps.

Best,
Vic

I tried this vic - and one thing I immediately noticed was that 11th army HQ eneded up with 5 stukas in it inventory of troops. one of its air units had requested the replacements but they seemed to get stuck in the HQ and not passed on. A turn later they were gone - passed to an air unit. It also got 100 romanian infentry which stayed with the HQ - so guess its not working with replacements

edit ... scrub the bit about the romanian infantry - seems they were passed on but to a corps hq within 11th army ... so it seems the replacements stop at the HQ then pass on down the chain in the following turns to end up where they should. That actually sounds kind of good to me - but I guess not how you envisaged it working ...
Tejszd

Post by Tejszd »

Definitely think the old supply option/rules sound better. Could you not show the supply route based on the individual unit selected or the unit on top of a stack in a hex?
DBeves

Post by DBeves »

ORIGINAL: Tejszd

Definitely think the old supply option/rules sound better. Could you not show the supply route based on the individual unit selected or the unit on top of a stack in a hex?
based on the individual unit selected

Personally I think vic scrubbed this method not so much due to the supply trace layer which was at best just an aide, but more due to the impact on the turn processing. It does take longer but personally its tolerable for me with it turned on. It takes longer but in a game this large I can wait a minute or so before I launch into a turn that may take hours to complete in the larger scenarios. I guess he thought people would notice and complain. Would be nice if the replacement system worked and we could have an optional rule to take the hit.
DBeves

Post by DBeves »

Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: DBeves

Hi there DBeves,

also... hi sanderz,

Hope this helps.

Best,
Vic

I tried this vic - and one thing I immediately noticed was that 11th army HQ eneded up with 5 stukas in it inventory of troops. one of its air units had requested the replacements but they seemed to get stuck in the HQ and not passed on. A turn later they were gone - passed to an air unit. It also got 100 romanian infentry which stayed with the HQ - so guess its not working with replacements

edit ... scrub the bit about the romanian infantry - seems they were passed on but to a corps hq within 11th army ... so it seems the replacements stop at the HQ then pass on down the chain in the following turns to end up where they should. That actually sounds kind of good to me - but I guess not how you envisaged it working ...

Hi,

Actually this is intended behaviour with the Easy Supply/Replacement rule switched off. There is supposed to be a delay as the replacements trickle down the chain of command.

Best,
Vic
DBeves

Post by DBeves »

ORIGINAL: DBeves

Hi there DBeves,

also... hi sanderz,

Hope this helps.

Best,
Vic

Hi,

Actually this is intended behaviour with the Easy Supply/Replacement rule switched off. There is supposed to be a delay as the replacements trickle down the chain of command.

Best,
Vic

Right ok Vic ... as I said - that sounds more sensible to me....will try a bit more with it.
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

This thread is helpful, but I would love a bit more detail about how the APs for supply movement are calculated. In the starting Kharkov scenario as Germany, I can't understand why some AP costs are 9, some are 1, some are 53, etc. The terrain movement costs don't seem to add up right, even accounting for the "structural" bonuses from cities en route.

Does a city with 2000 structural points "subtract" 20 APs from the route? 1000 structural points subtracts 10 APs? Does this subtraction happen only once per city en route, as long as the supply passes through that city? If the total AP cost is 5 and the supply route then reaches a city with a -20 AP bonus, is the count reset to 0, or 1, or -15?

Also, it seems that every route to a unit is traced through its immediate HQ, even though that HQ no longer plays a role in distributing supply. Am I mistaken about that?
Vic

Post by Vic »

ORIGINAL: Grotius

This thread is helpful, but I would love a bit more detail about how the APs for supply movement are calculated. In the starting Kharkov scenario as Germany, I can't understand why some AP costs are 9, some are 1, some are 53, etc. The terrain movement costs don't seem to add up right, even accounting for the "structural" bonuses from cities en route.

Does a city with 2000 structural points "subtract" 20 APs from the route? 1000 structural points subtracts 10 APs? Does this subtraction happen only once per city en route, as long as the supply passes through that city? If the total AP cost is 5 and the supply route then reaches a city with a -20 AP bonus, is the count reset to 0, or 1, or -15?

Also, it seems that every route to a unit is traced through its immediate HQ, even though that HQ no longer plays a role in distributing supply. Am I mistaken about that?

the logistical bonus is not subtracted, but will result in free AP points for the hexes still to be traveled (except the 1st AP point out of the city).

best,
Vic
Grotius

Post by Grotius »

Ah, OK, that helps some. Thanks!

So after leaving a town with logistical bonus of 10, the first rail hex traveled would cost 1 AP, and there would be no additional cost until the 11th AP expended. So, if traveling entirely along rail with no other cities, the 11th or 12th hex would start to incur AP costs again. Is that about right?
Vic

Post by Vic »

@Grotius: yes it is :)
balto

Post by balto »

Whoa, can I piggy back off of that example using different words?

1) If it takes you 100AP for Supply to reach a 2000 structural city, what is the first hex out of the city.., 100? Then after 20 more AP, it becomes 101?

2) Same situation as (1), but the City gets attacked and suffers 1000 damage. After this attack, the city's structure is 1000. Are the free AP for Supply now only 10?

3) If this is still correct, then a unit in situation (1) was 20 Supply away from the town (thus having a Supply of 100). The town gets attacked and is now down to 1000 Structure (which only now gives a bonus of 10). Is that unit's Supply AP now go from 100 to 110 due to the structure damage to the city?

Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

1) If it takes you 100AP for Supply to reach a 2000 structural city, what is the first hex out of the city.., 100? Then after 20 more AP, it becomes 101?

No, I think that in the first rail hex out of the city you still pay one (101), then you will not pay for other 20 hexes (supply movement bonus), finally from 22nd hex forward you will pay again.
2) Same situation as (1), but the City gets attacked and suffers 1000 damage. After this attack, the city's structure is 1000. Are the free AP for Supply now only 10?

3) If this is still correct, then a unit in situation (1) was 20 Supply away from the town (thus having a Supply of 100). The town gets attacked and is now down to 1000 Structure (which only now gives a bonus of 10). Is that unit's Supply AP now go from 100 to 110 due to the structure damage to the city?

I don't know, reading 16.10.2 I would say no bonus until all damages are repaired but I'm not sure.
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]

Return to “Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue”