Pride of Nations

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

michael1776

Pride of Nations

Post by michael1776 »

Does anyone have any experience with this game? I am very interested in getting this, and would like an honest review, if possible. I love the subject, and this seems to be the best game on the period. Won't even look at Victoria 2. Haven't been a big fan of anything that Paradox puts out. Also looking at Napoleon's Campaigns. Both games look like great extensions of the Age engine.

Thanks in advance.

MJ

Current Games:
Gary Grigsby's War Between the States
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
sullafelix

RE: Pride of Nations

Post by sullafelix »

Most people will tell you to head toward Napoleon's Campaigns which is an excellent ageod game.

PON is an incerdibly complex game where warfare is really secondary. Even the Ageod programmers thought they bit off a bit too much to chew.PON is more like getting involved with War in the Pacific than just playing a game.I do like the scenarios in PON which are warfare oriented than the full game.

Also, unless it is over Ageod is having a 50% of sale.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

Cuz of the player reviews that came out when PoN was released i never got to play that. That said i have no idea how that have been improved since so ill make no recommendations about that.
NCP is sorta different than most of AGEODs other titles in that there is no production or similar in it. U play the different campaigns and that only. So its sorta a operational game only. That might appeale to some, while turning away others.
Having all the other AGEODs athena games, but PoN and loved them. NCP is by far the worst of the bunch, IMO. While i certainly fall in the category that preferes having the strategic aspects in, i wont say that is the main reason for my dislike of NCP.

First IMO the combat engine many times does a very poor job of recreating plausible results of nappy age battles. I could mention alot of stuff here, but ill leave it at that.
Design decisions both on what seems small stuff like what size of units on one side vs on size on the other side. Problem is that many of this design decisions play right into the weekness of the combat engine, making the problems even more absurt at times.
Also design decision on the parameters on the campaigns them selfs, making no sense to ppl with a rudimentry understanding of those campaigns.
Since its an operational game getting this stuff right, is of paramount importance IMO. The game stand or falls with it and in this case falls.

Any how if u a big Napoleon fan and wants to unimpeded run around wacking every ones behind be it 1805 or 1813 i think u will find the game fun.

Hope it helps,

Rasmus
RockKahn

Post by RockKahn »

I can't help you with a review, but I picked up PoN last Christmas during all the sales on Gamer's Gate for $1.57 (download). I just couldn't pass it up.

I've only played the tutorial. It seemed very complex when it comes to managing economies and stuff.

Edit: You might want to look for demos. I believe I played Rise of Prussia demo awhile back. It was fun. I don't know if there's a PoN demo or not.
I don't write Universal Law. I just live by it.
Bamilus

Post by Bamilus »

ORIGINAL: RockKahn

I can't help you with a review, but I picked up PoN last Christmas during all the sales on Gamer's Gate for $1.57 (download). I just couldn't pass it up.

I've only played the tutorial. It seemed very complex when it comes to managing economies and stuff.

Edit: You might want to look for demos. I believe I played Rise of Prussia demo awhile back. It was fun. I don't know if there's a PoN demo or not.

I did the same thing (bought it for 1.57). Haven't played it much but I probably will because I hear they are working on 1.03 patch and now that the new Napoleon game is wholly in Paradox's hands I think PoN will start to see a bit more attention.

Wholly ambitious game, however!
Paradox Interactive Forum Refugee
radic202

Post by radic202 »

One of the most complicated Strategic Games I have ever played, took me not hours but weeks to finally get an understanding of it. And as mentioned the Napoleonic Campaigns is one of the best. Good luck and enjoy the complexity of the game but very rewarding. You can Download the Demo if you want to give it a try before purchasing it.
It is much harder to think about doing something than actually doing it!
michael1776

Post by michael1776 »

I dove right in and decided to get both. PON seems extremely complex, which is appealing. NAP's Campaigns seems slightly more casual. I am sure that is an understatement. On a side note...I finally reached 100 posts. And it only took me four years...

Thanks everyone,
MJ

Current Games:
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
parusski

Post by parusski »

On a side note...I finally reached 100 posts

Let's hope the next 100 posts take only 4 weeks.

I like PON a lot. It is a very difficult game to learn, but so worth it in the end.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

I have had PON since it was released but still haven't played it.

Liked the idea of it, turn based, interesting era, not just a war focus but I think it is just too big/complex a game to be fun. The campaign game is 1680 turns long - that means that if I play 2 turns a day every day without a break it will be about two and a half years before I finish it !

The smaller scenarios 10-100 turns I might have ago at.

I do really like the AGE engine games and have all of them and I would rank them as follows (mainly but not solely based on my interest in the period/campaigns they are portraying)

1. Birth of America 2
2. Revolution Under Siege
3. American Civil War
4. Napoleon's Campaigns
5. Rise of Prussia
6. Pride of Nations

And I have high hopes for Alea Jacta Est - if it lives upto expectations it may knock BoA2 off the top slot.
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
parusski

Post by parusski »

Wolfe, I did the same thing with Gary Grigsby's War Between the States. It was about 18 months or so before I actually invested the time to learn to play that delightful game. Once I kept going back to PON daily for a couple weeks it did become fun.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Lützow

Post by Lützow »

I usually enjoy grognard titles and consider figuring out how an engine works as part of the game. But even with this attitude I threw in on PoN. This one was too cumbersome to learn and on top of it not entertaining.
parusski

Post by parusski »

ORIGINAL: Lützow

I usually enjoy grognard titles and consider figuring out how an engine works as part of the game. But even with this attitude I threw in on PoN. This one was too cumbersome to learn and on top of it not entertaining.

I understand.

I forgot to mention that the most helpful way to learn this game is to follow an AAR. Especially the France AAR by montgomeryjlion.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

It's a good game, but there are many turns where you might not do anything. That is a turn off to a lot of people. Well, you can probably find something to tweak.

I'm actually playing a Prussia game right now and just kind of thrashing around, but I at least have the economy doing fairly decently. I'm not to any kind of unification of German, yet, because I'm only in 1860 which, I believe, was before many of the events that led to unification.

It's fun to me, but if you are looking for a game where you move around armies or corps of armies every turn, then it is probably not for you. Because there will be many turns that you are at peace.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
TRAINZ

Post by TRAINZ »

I bought it when it first came out. It seemed o.k. at first and in difficult to understand. The part that turned me off however was that very few countries could colonize and Germany was not one of them. Maybe this has changed with updates. If you want to play as Great Britain or France and you can get the hang of all the economy stuff then the colonizing aspect would probably be entertaining.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Gents -

I, too, bought PON and other AGEOD games during the 2011 summer sale. PON had an immediate appeal as my preference is for empire building games that are heavy on detail and strategy. PON has not let me down. While not an highly experienced PON player - WitP AE takes precedence - I have invested the time and effort to read and study the rules and learn the game. After several years of immersion with WitP AE, PON - in comparison - does not seem particularly difficult to learn. However, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder".

michael1776, PON seems well designed and very reasonably priced. Do hope that you take the plunge and give it a go.

Hope that this helps,

Mac

LAV-25 2147
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: CaptainConflict

I bought it when it first came out. It seemed o.k. at first and in difficult to understand. The part that turned me off however was that very few countries could colonize and Germany was not one of them. Maybe this has changed with updates. If you want to play as Great Britain or France and you can get the hang of all the economy stuff then the colonizing aspect would probably be entertaining.

CaptainConflict -

There is a preference setting that allows the player to disable the historical "Spheres of Influence" (which limits each country to it's historical areas of interest) aspect of the game. I have only played the USA which has access to the full range of colonial actions immediately; Germany may have to wait for reunification before setting out to build an empire.

There is a new beta patch out. Please stick with it; I suspect that Germany is a particularly challenging nation to play.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan
I have only played the USA which has access to the full range of colonial actions immediately; Germany may have to wait for reunification before setting out to build an empire.

Must admit I've only played as ol' Blighty, but I remember reading somewhere you do have to unite Germany before full colonization options are available. Nice historical touch really.

PoN is actually a very good game (much better than Vicky 2), although a little too slow paced for my taste and available time these days. It was always a real labour of love at AGEOD, and it shows. It should be a 'must buy' if only because at some point in every sale at Steam or GG you can pick it up for next to nothing. Same with the equally excellent Revolution under Siege.
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

ORIGINAL: Hertston
ORIGINAL: Mac Linehan
I have only played the USA which has access to the full range of colonial actions immediately; Germany may have to wait for reunification before setting out to build an empire.

Must admit I've only played as ol' Blighty, but I remember reading somewhere you do have to unite Germany before full colonization options are available. Nice historical touch really.

PoN is actually a very good game (much better than Vicky 2), although a little too slow paced for my taste and available time these days. It was always a real labour of love at AGEOD, and it shows. It should be a 'must buy' if only because at some point in every sale at Steam or GG you can pick it up for next to nothing. Same with the equally excellent Revolution under Siege.

Herston -

Bought and then played RUS for a short period of time (no reflection on the game). Must agree that both are excellent products; I will eventually play both of them.

Mac

LAV-25 2147
michael1776

Post by michael1776 »

Well I have to say that even though I haven't had much time to play it I am enjoying it. It does have a pretty good learning curve, especially if you can't sit in front of the PC for more than a few minutes at a time. But I do like it. I have to say that out of all the games that I own the Ageod games are the most satisfying. It's a great engine, and the attention to detail that they put into the games is amazing. I would love to see what they could do with a grand strategic game set in WWII. I think this may be slightly beyond the capabilities of the game engine however.

MJ
Current Games:
Panzer Corps
Battle Academy
Forge of Freedom
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

There is a new patch out 1.3 I believe.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7