Quick Dummy question

Post bug reports and ask for help with issues here.

Moderator: rickier65

Yoozername

Quick Dummy question

Post by Yoozername »

Do I have to have some version of PCO already installed to update the game? Can I just DL the whole new patch AND game or is this just available to new buyers?

If I have to install an old version of PCO, then how do I get that again??

Thanks
rickier65

RE: Quick Dummy question

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: Yoozername

Do I have to have some version of PCO already installed to update the game? Can I just DL the whole new patch AND game or is this just available to new buyers?

If I have to install an old version of PCO, then how do I get that again??

Thanks

You can install the Release version of PCO and then install this latest patch. Or if you have a version of PCO already installed, you can install just the patch.

Thanks
rick
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

I took this to mean I should sign in under 'Members' and DL the Release version of PCO. After this I could install the update.

In any case, the game crashed. This is frustrating since it takes quite awhile to install the Release+Update and also the game turns take awhile. To finally get a game interesting and have it crash is disheartening.

I run:

PentD 3.4GHz
4GB DDR2 800
SATAII drive
Windows xp
1 GB 9400 vid card
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I took this to mean I should sign in under 'Members' and DL the Release version of PCO. After this I could install the update.

In any case, the game crashed. This is frustrating since it takes quite awhile to install the Release+Update and also the game turns take awhile. To finally get a game interesting and have it crash is disheartening.

I run:

PentD 3.4GHz
4GB DDR2 800
SATAII drive
Windows xp
1 GB 9400 vid card

When you installed the release version, make sure you allow the .NET and DirectX to both install completely. Don't reboot the system when you see the Windows message after it finishes installing .NET. Make sure you wait until the game is finished installing.

After you apply the patch, you might need to check the configuration from the main menu and make sure it is set to the proper resolution for your system.

thanks
Ricl
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I don't think you can get the full version from the members area.

Did you have Kharkov and upgrade it to Ostfront originally?
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: junk2drive

I don't think you can get the full version from the members area.

Did you have Kharkov and upgrade it to Ostfront originally?

I think I was able to download my registered copy of the release version from the Members area.

Thanks
Rick
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

I DL:
PCO setup release PL v32, dated 5/9/2011

I applied the patch right after

And I ran the demo the day before so I think my version is up to date as far as .NET

In any case, I will try and run small scenarios and see if it happens again.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

That should be correct. Check the configuration screen from the Game Menu before you click Play.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

Check it? Do you mean 'Check for Update'? It says I have the latest version.

Also, I see from DXDIAG that I am running DirectX 9 c

I haven't seen another crash with the 'report to windows' window opening but I did have a total system reboot while loading a scenario. But I suspect this to be heat related. I have a program 'Speedfan' that allows me to over-ride the fan settings and I rail them to 100% when running games. I had forgotten to set it and the system was probably running too hot. The game is CPU and memory intensive or so it appears.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Check it? Do you mean 'Check for Update'? It says I have the latest version.

Also, I see from DXDIAG that I am running DirectX 9 c

I haven't seen another crash with the 'report to windows' window opening but I did have a total system reboot while loading a scenario. But I suspect this to be heat related. I have a program 'Speedfan' that allows me to over-ride the fan settings and I rail them to 100% when running games. I had forgotten to set it and the system was probably running too hot. The game is CPU and memory intensive or so it appears.

Paul is referring to the configuration screen that you access from the very first Main menu in the game.

Is the game running for you now?

thanks
Rick
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

Neither the initial Main Menu or the Configuration Screen identify the game version (that I can see). Again, from the Main Menu, there is the 'Check for Update' choice. If one hits that, then they will be notified if they have the latest version.

If you hit 'Play', then you can hit 'Read Me' and it will ID the game as the release.

I found that the game is blocked from starting by a program 'System Guard' which comes with System Mechanic. This needs to be disabled to get the game to start. This is a separate issue than the other issues I have seen. namely, the crash to windows and the heat issue.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

Neither the initial Main Menu or the Configuration Screen identify the game version (that I can see). Again, from the Main Menu, there is the 'Check for Update' choice. If one hits that, then they will be notified if they have the latest version.

If you hit 'Play', then you can hit 'Read Me' and it will ID the game as the release.

I found that the game is blocked from starting by a program 'System Guard' which comes with System Mechanic. This needs to be disabled to get the game to start. This is a separate issue than the other issues I have seen. namely, the crash to windows and the heat issue.

The version number you see from the Game menu readme is not correct. If you look at the Game directory and view the Readme.rtf, or the what's new pdf you will see the version. The Readme.txt was not updated with the latest version number.

In the configuration screen, make sure your resolution is one that your system can use.

Thanks
rick
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

So...Hit Start at the bottom left of the Windows Screen, All Programs, Panzer Command Ostfront, select the PDF file 'What's New'

In any case. I have the game installed correctly.
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

Since I have maxxed the fans on the CPU and ICH chip (INTEL BTX MB with huge heat sink) to 100% and moved the computer near the AC vent on the floor, I have not seen the heat-shutdown issue again. I suppose I can also go into BIOS and see if I can raise the CPU temp limit. The CPU is a Pentium D 3.4 GHz which is a bit old but I got it for 10 bucks on ebay. I have monitored the temp on the CPU during startup of the game and loading a scenario and it will easily go from 34C to nearly 60C.

IOLO software, System Mechanic, includes a watch-dog program System Guard. This will stop the game from launching and I am wondering why? Typically this means the software is trying to change something on the computer. I have to turn off this program to start the game.

Otherwise, the game runs but loading times on the scenarios is slow. As an example, The Biggest and the Baddest takes upwards of 8-9 minutes to load.

Since I have about the fastest CPU my MB can handle, and have maxxed the memory to 4 GB at 800MHz (also the max), I am wondering if I get another SSD drive for this computer might be a good way to improve load times etc. Presently I have a SATA II non-SSD hard-drive. I have another computer for my business and it has a SSD drive on it and it is a great improvement.

The game runs alright other than the listed issues above. I did not like the use of the wheel mouse button to pan and tilt and switched that to a side button on the mouse. This works very well. I may use another button on the mouse to turn the trees on/off as these trees get in the way of seeing units etc.

I was thinking of doing a AAR of one of my favorite scenarios using screen-shots and short video.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I'm glad you got it working.

The game does read things from the registry when it starts. It may write configuration settings to the registry, I'm not sure. But that might be what your watch dog program is detecting.

A faster hard drive might help, but it might also be something else in the system that is creating a bottleneck. I have a Dual core i-3 running at 2.9 Mghz with a 5400 rpm dirve and the Biggeest and Baddest load at about 2 minutes. Maybe your system watchdog is also monitoring data loading?

thanks!

rick
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

The System Guard can be shut off for a minute. This allows the game to start. But I tried to run the tutorial to check the mortar test that Mobius did, and the game crashed to Windows. I can try totally disabling the System Guard but I think a definitive answer as to what the game is doing might be helpful.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

The System Guard can be shut off for a minute. This allows the game to start. But I tried to run the tutorial to check the mortar test that Mobius did, and the game crashed to Windows. I can try totally disabling the System Guard but I think a definitive answer as to what the game is doing might be helpful.

I thought i did answer. I'm fairly sure it's not writing to the registry during play.

thanks
Rick
Yoozername

Post by Yoozername »

I have installed the game on the following on separate Windows XP SP3 computers:

Pentium D 3.4GHz 800FSB, 4 GB DDR2 800MHz mem, SATAII HD, 1 GB 9400 vid, Gateway MB no over-clocking, BTX style

and also...

Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.1GHz slightly overclocked to 2.3), 1066FSB, 2 GB DDR2 Corsair mem (4-4-4-12), SATAII (SSD), 256meg 7600 vid, BIOSTAR MB G41-M7

Clearly the SSD drive computer loads much faster. Neither system is running System Guard and have the same AntiVirus, etc. As an example, Big$Baddest loads in about 4 minutes.

I may swap the Pentium D into SSD computer since I suspect faster CPU combined with SSD may be even better. I use the SSD as the swap file in Windows also. The operating system is on a Barracuda 250 GB drive in the 'SSD' system and I put software and games onto the SSD.

I would like to build a Dual Core 8500 system and use a 775 cpu board with DDR3 memory since its cheap. But I wonder what effect large amounts of memory helps the game?

The game runs fine on both systems though there is an occasional crash that is getting rarer.
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

I have installed the game on the following on separate Windows XP SP3 computers:

Pentium D 3.4GHz 800FSB, 4 GB DDR2 800MHz mem, SATAII HD, 1 GB 9400 vid, Gateway MB no over-clocking, BTX style

and also...

Core 2 Duo 6400 (2.1GHz slightly overclocked to 2.3), 1066FSB, 2 GB DDR2 Corsair mem (4-4-4-12), SATAII (SSD), 256meg 7600 vid, BIOSTAR MB G41-M7

Clearly the SSD drive computer loads much faster. Neither system is running System Guard and have the same AntiVirus, etc. As an example, Big$Baddest loads in about 4 minutes.

I may swap the Pentium D into SSD computer since I suspect faster CPU combined with SSD may be even better. I use the SSD as the swap file in Windows also. The operating system is on a Barracuda 250 GB drive in the 'SSD' system and I put software and games onto the SSD.

I would like to build a Dual Core 8500 system and use a 775 cpu board with DDR3 memory since its cheap. But I wonder what effect large amounts of memory helps the game?

The game runs fine on both systems though there is an occasional crash that is getting rarer.

Sounds like pretty fair specs. I've been looking at those SSDS, they sound like they really speed up the disk access. To get an idea of memory uses in the game, you can load one of the larger scenarios and press F1. this should display information on both memory usage and video usage.

Thanks!
rick
Stridor

Post by Stridor »

It is recommended not to use SSD as swap as it potentially wears the drive too fast.

DDR is cheap these days and you are much better putting in say 16-32GB and then using no swap at all.

As the game is very CPU dependent the best specs are:

A very quick multi core CPU the more cores the better (up to 8). This will improve scenario load speed as the biggest issue facing scenario loading is building the OCT index tree and that takes CPU muscle. I recoded it to take advantage of multiple CPU threads (8). I also improved the SIM code to make use of multi-core.

The GPU is not so important as most of the graphics pipe predates shaders. There are some, but fill rate is still the most important GPU param. Any modern mid range card will be fine. I was in the process of "shading the pipe" especially in respect to grass and water, but left before I could finish.

As PCO is a 32 Bit proc it really won't use any more than 4GB, but given the cheap price of memory these days you may as well buy in the 16-32GB range.

A SSD is pretty much the standard these days.

Regards

S.

Return to “Tech Support”