New Race Idea

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Vantose

New Race Idea

Post by Vantose »

Hay guys
I was wondering if any one would be willing to put together a race idea I had. I been playing alot of distant worlds and theirs a part of the game I feel no races really put to use. Enslave, no races get any kind of real bonuses or even uses it much in any way.

I been wondering if it was possible to put race bonuses for enslavement? The race would have some thing like + happiness for each race they enslave, + growth rate for races you enslave. Maybe a bonus to making named characters from the enslaved races.

It just seems odd that using enslave has so many negative effects and very few bonuses for it. Would their be a way to add these bonuses to a race trait or even add some different ones that give special effects to a race that uses enslave?

If you guys have any other idea's on what could be done for such a race or maybe would like to do the coding for it feel free to post. [:D]
Bebop Cola

RE: New Race Idea

Post by Bebop Cola »

The modding guide is here. You could probably use that to see if it is something that can be modded and how to do it.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

I thought about that, but if you do that, then I think one opens a huge issue in the game.
There will be races that do so, and some very offended.

AND how are the slaves treated in the game? A commodity (which is insulting) or some abstract concept... is rebellion possible? Will some other race go to war if people are enslaved?

I thought alot about it because in SW, the Trandoshans are slavers.

And be careful, it might open an issue on these boards.

* By the way *
I do not want to stop your creativity... it is an interesting idea. Again I thought about it concerning the Trandoshans.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
Vantose

Post by Vantose »

What I would like to do with them is all their bonuses come from enslaving races or from waring with others. make them some what like the old Romans where slaves can join the army or government to ear their freedom. Also they are a very military race they believe in conquest not trade.

One of the main this will be making it where enslaving races only halves the races growth rate not stop it. That way the slaves keep expending to other planets. They should get a half bonus from their race for troop officers and fleet officers and a half bonus to gaining them from enslaved races, Colony leaders should always be human but science and spies should get half and half. Starting out they should start with one race enslaves on their home world and a human spy and an enslaved spy. Also one Scientist from the race enslaved.

Starting world Desert
Default Reproduction Rate 25%

Starting Random enslaved races
Kiadian
Mortalen
Securan
Shandar
Teekan
Atuuk
Zenox
Human

Other bonuses I was thinking about.

Characteristics
very Aggressive
Slightly cautious
Slightly unfriendly
quite intelligent
Very Dependable

Bonuses
Warrior Class troop maintenance -15%
Fierce Rivalry lower war weariness 20%
Cunning spies 15% better spies

Resource Bonuses
slaves on a world give +5 happiness per race of slave
Slaves on a world give +3% shipbuilding per races of slaves
Slaves give +3% Recruitment rate per race
+2% troop recruitment and +2% Fleet shipbuilding for each race you are at war with

Characters
more likely to generate Troop and fleet characters 45%
more likely to generate Agent 35%
more likely to generate Scientist 20%
less likely to generate ambassador -25%

Other
Able to learn new tec's from enslaved races
+20 migration rate for main race
+12 migration rate for humanoid
+5% migration rate for other enslaved races

Well heres my starting idea's for the race I would like to see. Any one have any suggestions on how to go about making bonuses on enslaved races? Wouldn't mind hearing any other idea's on it either.
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

First thing check the modding guide, several of the things you mention can't be done.
Also your race is way too powerful, you can't have a race that powerful for good gameplay because it means they will dominate games too much but more importantly if you start near them you can usually outwit the AI early game to beat them and then you will have all the bonuses that race gives making the game too easy.

I was thinking about doing a competition for ideas for another race for my Distant Worlds Extended mod and let people pick the best to add to it.
Going to release the mod probably tomorrow as I am really happy with the balance, just got to write up the race backgrounds properly now rather than them being in my head.
Vantose

Post by Vantose »

How about a little constructive help, rather then just saying it wont work maybe suggest what would make it work lol.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

I'm not sure the AI even uses slavery at all in the most recent patches. Can anyone confirm? When DW was first launched I remember seeing penal colonies, but since the patch that made it so the Players race never did that unless you specifically went into the options and enabled it I haven't seen the AI use it either. Could just b a coincidence. Let me know, it would be useful for me to know too!
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Haree78

Post by Haree78 »

ORIGINAL: Vantose

How about a little constructive help, rather then just saying it wont work maybe suggest what would make it work lol.

The constructive help was to read the modding guide. I'm sorry I couldn't be more constructive but I would just be regurgitating what is in the modding guide if I did, I only have so much time in my life to dedicate to answering questions from forum users.

If this helps any:
ORIGINAL: Vantose

Starting world Desert
Default Reproduction Rate 25%

Starting Random enslaved races
Kiadian
Mortalen
Securan
Shandar
Teekan
Atuuk
Zenox
Human

Other bonuses I was thinking about.

Characteristics
very Aggressive
Slightly cautious
Slightly unfriendly
quite intelligent
Very Dependable

Bonuses
Warrior Class troop maintenance -15%
Fierce Rivalry lower war weariness 20%
Cunning spies 15% better spies

Resource Bonuses
slaves on a world give +5 happiness per race of slave
Slaves on a world give +3% shipbuilding per races of slaves
Slaves give +3% Recruitment rate per race
+2% troop recruitment and +2% Fleet shipbuilding for each race you are at war with

Characters
more likely to generate Troop and fleet characters 45%
more likely to generate Agent 35%
more likely to generate Scientist 20%
less likely to generate ambassador -25%

Other
Able to learn new tec's from enslaved races
+20 migration rate for main race
+12 migration rate for humanoid
+5% migration rate for other enslaved races

Well heres my starting idea's for the race I would like to see. Any one have any suggestions on how to go about making bonuses on enslaved races? Wouldn't mind hearing any other idea's on it either.

Woodman, the Keskudons always enslave no problem. I think it's down to the policy files.
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

Okay, I know Eliott made a change so that the players Empire would never use slavery *unless* the player specifically set that in the policy options in-game. I guess the way he employed this was by changing all of the default races policy files to Assimilate all. That would explain why AI isn't using enslave. I might take a peek into those and set a few, Boskara for example, back to enslave.
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
Vantose

Post by Vantose »

Well I must be an idiot I have spent weeks trying to open the mod file and nothing I have on my computer will open the thing. Not even IE or foxfire. Not that it matters much, I have tried to read mod teaching posts before and its like reading gibberish. Most people who does that stuff has programing and computer classes.
ASHBERY76

Post by ASHBERY76 »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

I'm not sure the AI even uses slavery at all in the most recent patches. Can anyone confirm? When DW was first launched I remember seeing penal colonies, but since the patch that made it so the Players race never did that unless you specifically went into the options and enabled it I haven't seen the AI use it either. Could just b a coincidence. Let me know, it would be useful for me to know too!

The policy files have not changed.Races like the Dhayut still use the enslave in the policy set up.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

Diplomacy should take a huge hit for slavery...
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

ORIGINAL: WoodMan

Yes Woodman, I've just finished a game where an independent planet's race became an empire and
one of the two colony planets in the system became a Penal Colony. I've been testing Legends
1.7.0.15 and it has happened both as I stated and also with an AI race that I was conquering. [:)]

{ Although in response to the OP, I believe that a 'slave' race could be fashioned (modded) if
tweaked correctly. And probably would be using Corporate Nationalism as the best matching government.
- Just my opinion though! )
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

Return to “Design and Modding”