Trying to understand whats going on

Command Ops: Battles From The Bulge takes the highly acclaimed Airborne Assault engine back to the West Front for the crucial engagements during the Ardennes Offensive. Test your command skills in the fiery crucible of Airborne Assault’s “pausable continuous time” uber-realistic game engine. It's up to you to develop the strategy, issue the orders, set the pace, and try to win the laurels of victory in the cold, shadowy Ardennes.
Command Ops: Highway to the Reich brings us to the setting of one of the most epic and controversial battles of World War II: Operation Market-Garden, covering every major engagement along Hell’s Highway, from the surprise capture of Joe’s Bridge by the Irish Guards a week before the offensive to the final battles on “The Island” south of Arnhem.

Moderators: Arjuna, Panther Paul

GBS

Trying to understand whats going on

Post by GBS »

While playing last night I paid close attention to the Stance and task designations on the unit information box to the left for various units. I recorded the various combos I noticed which are listed below:
Moving - Moving
Moving - Firing
Halted - Deployed
Halted - Firing
Moving - Deployed (?)
Waiting - Deployed
Halted - Taking Cover
Moving - Taking Cover
Retreating - Moving
Moving - Dug In (?)
Assaulting - Moving
Assaulting - Deployed
In Reserve - Dug In
Reorganizing - Deployed
Moving - Stopped (? Huh)
Moving - Entrenched (?)
Halted - Dug In
Waiting - Dug In
Assaulting - Dug In

These are not all but he ones I noticed. I have searched
the manual for explanations but can't find anything.
I'm trying to get a picture in my minds eye of what is happening. Some of these make perfect sense like Halted and Firing or Halted and Deployed but others like those with a (?) I just can't figure out whats happening.
How can a unit be Moving and Stopped or Moving and Entrenched. To me entrenched and Dug In are defensive stances so how can a unit be Assaulting yet Dug In?
I hope someone can answer these because I will certainly enhance my enjoyment immersion in this fine game.

"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Lieste

RE: Trying to understand whats going on

Post by Lieste »

As far as I know, these are order-action. So the unit is attempting to move or assault, but may have been "halted" by fire or threat of heavy fires from seen enemy, stopped to rest, deployed to fire heavy weapons at observed enemy, dug-in in contact with enemy forces etc... the order, and eventual 'task' of the unit remains to complete the movement, but it is not currently doing that.

Dug-in is a little more complex ~ while the first element to halt in a particular location takes the full 'dig-in' period, later arrivals can take advantage of existing works to get into cover much faster... This can reduce casualties dramatically, but will also sometimes halt/slow movement as the 'best' terrain is at the current location, and movement forward increases exposure.

Note that movement is the order type for an attack order for all portions up to the FUP and assault task to the final objective.

Read them as 'We are attempting to Move, and are...' 'We are halted by enemy presence, and will now...' etc.
GBS

RE: Trying to understand whats going on

Post by GBS »

Thank you thats very helpful.
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton

Return to “Command Ops Series”