Legends: Shipset Limit ?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Jounk33

Legends: Shipset Limit ?

Post by Jounk33 »

Hi,
I've costumize 10 new species and I want to give them new Shipsets.
In the moddigguide; I've read, it is possible to make comletely new shipset families.
So I've startet to make 10 new sets, call them "Family22" till "family31".
But every time I'am start with a new race an new game, there comes an errorreport, an the game will not start.

I've give a new race an vanilla shipset "family0" start with this race, and the game starts.
So, I think, it is not possible to make new shipset families. I've testet with a vanilla race too, give them a new shipset "family 23" and even too, the game will not start with this race.

The question: has anyone expierience with more than 21 shipsets ? is there a other way to make more than 22 shipsets ?
Jon Micheelsen

RE: Legends: Shipset Limit ?

Post by Jon Micheelsen »

A few questions.

Are you adding the Family folders to the ShipImages in the Customization folder? If you add them to the images/units/ships folder you're gonna have trouble.

Naming them family(next after highest number) is the correct way to do it. If you skip a number - double check you haven't done so by accident - you have a problem. I don't think there is a limit to ship sets - though I may be wrong - however adding up to 31 in total should not be a problem.

On race modding. If you mod a race, do it in the customization/races folder - AND - you MUST have ALL race txt files in it - including the ones you haven't modded. I say this, because I think you're problem might not be with the ship family files, but there.
Jounk33

Post by Jounk33 »

Distant Worlds/Customization/Jounks Species/shipImages
There I put my new shipsets. And yes, family21 is the last vanilla Shipset, and I create folder from "family22 till family31" there is a path from family0 till family31, there is no lost number . And all are in the folder "Customization/Jounks Species/shipImages"

And I have all racefiles in the folder "Customization/Jounks Species/races" And there is no problem with the new species. Because, when I give a new species an old shipset family, the game starts normaly with the new species.

If you want to check it, I can give you an download-link.
Do you have make a mod with more than 22 shipsets ?
Jon Micheelsen

Post by Jon Micheelsen »

I recently found out, that not all png types are functional in the game. What program did you use for saving the png ship files? I've used an old version of Paint Shop Pro, and it was no problem. However the png format this site: http://imagesplitter.net/ spits out needs to be loaded and resaved in PSP to work. Try and see if there are some settings you can change when saving your ship images in the program you used to make them.

Otherwise throw up a link and I'll have a look.
Jon Micheelsen

Post by Jon Micheelsen »

I recently found out, that not all png types are functional in the game. What program did you use for saving the png ship files? I've used an old version of Paint Shop Pro, and it was no problem. However the png format this site: http://imagesplitter.net/ spits out needs to be loaded and resaved in PSP to work. Try and see if there are some settings you can change when saving your ship images in the program you used to make them.

Otherwise throw up a link and I'll have a look.
Jounk33

Post by Jounk33 »

I've got it [:)]
It was the folder "other" I've just put it in my "Distant Worlds/Customization/Jounks Species/shipImages" and all works fine.
For all other with the same problem:
you need not only a numeric serie from family0 to your last family folder, you need the "other" folder too in your shipImages folder !

Thank you Jon Micheelsen
WoodMan

Post by WoodMan »

There is a shipset limit of 50 I think [;)]
"My body may be confined to this chair, but my mind is free to explore the universe" - Stephen Hawking
ehsumrell1

Post by ehsumrell1 »

Correct Woodman. 50 is the limit. [:)]
Shields are useless in "The Briar Patch"...

Return to “Design and Modding”