Volokonovka DLC

Achtung Panzer:Operation Star is an Eastern Front wargame with solid graphics and sprawling battlefields that really emphasize the scope of WWII tank combat. The gameplay is a remarkably realistic turn-based and real-time operational/tactical hybrid wargame that continues the series begun by the acclaimed Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943.
jonny211

Volokonovka DLC

Post by jonny211 »

Hi all,

Apologies if I've spelt the subject title incorrectly.... I was wondering what others opening moves are for the Russians. I've played the Russian side a few times and pull back the 76mm and a couple of platoons and let the dug in troops die a heroes death in the village.

Trouble is that once again the Germans can be beaten off (I hold at the Watering Station) but I lose on points. I suspect that the village is impossible to hold, the T34 and KV1 tanks arrive too late and need ammo and fuel so must hang back in the range of the logistics platoon or be lost.

Your thoughts on how to beat the Germans (on points anyway).

Cheers.

Jon
wodin

RE: Volokonovka DLC

Post by wodin »

Played this as the Germans and got a minor victory. The Germans have hardly any Tanks. I think three light tanks and four marderIII's or the other way around. The Russians have loads of them. After I had tow of each left with no ammo and the Russians counter attacked with about four or five platoons of tanks..bad news allround. Watching a T34 and KV 1 nearly wiping out a platoon is heartbreaking. I managed to finally take them out after losing one and a half platoons.

If the Russains have the same troops as they do as the AI then Tanks are your assets
jonny211

Post by jonny211 »

I've not tried the German side, but it sounds similar to the Russians... they only get 2xT34 and 2xKV1 versus twice as many Marder-II's and a few PanzerJaegers. The Germans also get field guns and paks galore.

I'm going to have to learn the campaignh editor I think and try something a bit more balanced or at least give the Russian more fuel to manoever.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

There are also some settings options for how strong your AI opponent will be and whether it is limited to historical unit options, I think.

In the editor, units in the force pool can be flagged as 'historical' or not, so I am guessing that you've been playing an AI with the non-historical setting.

There is also a battle difficulty setting - try taking that down a notch.

Reducing one or more of those settings is going to reduce the strength of the AI, I'm sure, without the pain of trying to edit the scenario which is not pretty.
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
wodin

Post by wodin »

I limit to historical.
jonny211

Post by jonny211 »

Checked the settings and I was playing with historical units... oh dear.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: jonny211

Checked the settings and I was playing with historical units... oh dear.

OK, well all I can suggest is practice and the use of realistic tactics. The rewards this. I win most battles vs. the AI now, or at least I get a draw, although there are some there the T34s just overrun me.

Hide your infantry well and tell them to hold fire - otherwise they tend to shoot at tank commanders and give themselves away. Try to position your AT guns and any SPGs you have so that they get a chance at a flank shot - it's the only chance they have.
jonny211

Post by jonny211 »

Aye I've been practising away at the same campaign, it's great to catch a herd of infantry, field guns and Panzerjaegers in the open with 2 xKV1's coming over the hill on their flank. I must've both held and asaulted the first village over a dozen times on both sides and loved every minute of it, and also defended the watering station with immobile tanks, ragtag platoons and conscripts... just a shame the campaign ends on a points loss.

Incidentally the campaign editor seems familiar, a bit like the Steel Fury one... so with any luck I should be able to knock something a bit more balanced up or at least pit armour against armour.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: jonny211

Incidentally the campaign editor seems familiar, a bit like the Steel Fury one... so with any luck I should be able to knock something a bit more balanced up or at least pit armour against armour.

Looking forward to that! Let me know if you need an annoying (but constructive) tester. I tried to edit one but I got lost about halfway through.
jonny211

Post by jonny211 »

I've got the editor working after a few false starts and can create scenarios, if you want to try one out send me a pm. I've found with the Volokonvka map it's much smaller than I first thought and vehicles can move from one end to the other in a couple of turns, so the scenarios seem to be limited to a few set battles with little room to maneuver which isn't much fun if you're defending... we could do with a larger 'square' version of the map.

In any case T60/70's vs early panzers 3's and 2's is more fun than instakill marders and T34's IMHO!
jonny211

Post by jonny211 »

Hi all,

I've put up the first version of my scenario using the Volokonovka map, the link is in the mods section.

Happy playing!

Jon

Return to “Achtung Panzer Operation Star”