Steam?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Velihopea

RE: Steam?

Post by Velihopea »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

Why is this issue cropping up again and again?

As you can see from # of posts of op's in these threads it's usually new players and new faces to the forum starting these threads. Reasons are probably the same as for me it was: Great game, but little visibility and poor availability
Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

What do you mean when you say "poor availability" for the title? One could reasonably suggest the visibility is bad, but availability is fine once you're aware of the title.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Bebop Cola

What do you mean when you say "poor availability" for the title? One could reasonably suggest the visibility is bad, but availability is fine once you're aware of the title.

I share Cola's position - I'm confused.

Once you know about DW - it's hardly a chore to track down a source and buy it. Once that's done, all that is required is a credit card. How is it lacking in availability?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Kordanor

Post by Kordanor »

Now that seems to be a chance. ^^

http://steamcommunity.com/greenlight/

What is Steam Greenlight? Steam Greenlight is a new system that enlists the community's help in picking some of the next games to be released on Steam.

I know of a game that should be here. What do I do? Go contact the game developer and suggest that they submit their game here for consideration.

So that way, the devs can see how big the interest is for their game on steam. :)
Kal Naar

Post by Kal Naar »

ORIGINAL: kaihonsou

The game has great potential and could have much better funding and support if it was on Steam, and also priced more competitively.

Out of all the Moo3 successors, this is it. So much could be improved and it would become the perfect game for alot of people. Throw it on steam and get the game out there!

Im sure this has been suggested before. I literally only found out about this game a few days ago, and im not clued up to the history of the development of it. Seriously though devs, your onto a winner here ;)

Honsou.

+1

Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Kal Naar

The game has great potential and could have much better funding and support if it was on Steam, and also priced more competitively.

Out of all the Moo3 successors, this is it. So much could be improved and it would become the perfect game for alot of people. Throw it on steam and get the game out there!

Im sure this has been suggested before. I literally only found out about this game a few days ago, and im not clued up to the history of the development of it. Seriously though devs, your onto a winner here ;)

Honsou.

+1

Which part of Eric's statement on this was unclear?
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Steam would certainly improve the exposure of the game and give it the attention it deserves, at the minute far too few gamers know of Distant Worlds and that needs to change before its' too late!
I've been beta testing myself for decades.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Bleek

Steam would certainly improve the exposure of the game and give it the attention it deserves, at the minute far too few gamers know of Distant Worlds and that needs to change before its' too late!

*sigh*

Did you miss the fact that Erik has already discussed Steam distribution and declined to enter into a contract with them?

Did you miss the fact that the details of revenue split with Steam is confidential - nobody has anything more than an educated guess as to what it involves. So your statement proclaiming the benefits of exposure is completely ignorant of the costs of that exposure?

Did you ever establish the efficacy of Steam distribution? How many people see an increase in revenue, profit and an improvement in their situation? If it's so great - then surely you can provide numeric proof to support your claim?
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

*sigh*

Did you read my post?

"Steam would certainly improve the exposure of the game and give it the attention it deserves"

I'm on about making it a known game, at the minute it's a very niche product because of the lack of marketing. I only found the game by chance and that was AFTER I looked for Galactic Civ alternatives.

I make no claims about revenue.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

So, basically your argument is - "public exposure of the game is more important than the business case that the cost of that exposure entails".

Brilliant! Such genius!
Kal Naar

Post by Kal Naar »

So, basically your argument is - "public exposure of the game is more important than the business case that the cost of that exposure entails".

Brilliant! Such genius!

What's wrong with the hostility here?

What you're saying is that the concept of marketing and creating to exposure for games is completly wrong because, it costs money...
Brilliant deduction! I'm numbed by your enlightenment...

Can it be the word "steam" that bothers everyone? Please feel free to change it for any other distribution/marketing system that can generate awareness.

Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

What you're saying is that the concept of marketing and creating to exposure for games is completly wrong because, it costs money...

Learn to read.

My position is that marketing expense with no business benefit is a -waste-.

Bleek, on the other hand, feels that marketing a product without any business case to justify the expense - is sensible. He specifically makes no claims about revenue - to him it is irrelevant.

Absolute business genius. I'm sure the lads at Matrix are preparing a job offer as we speak.

Steam business deals are confidential - you don't know their revenue split, you don't know what further obligations they place on the developer/publisher. And yet, despite your ignorance of the facts which are required to make any sort of business decision - you advocate Steam despite the fact that Erik has already dealt with them and declined to enter into a business relationship? It's not "steam" that bothers me. It's ignorant statements which bother me.
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

I use Steam when I have to, when it is convenient or when the price is too good to bypass.
Matrix does not use Steam. So i buy their products direct or, on occasion from other retail outlets.
I really like to have my own disc for a game but will do without if there is no option.
Why does every second jackass think the people at Matrix have not yet thought of using Steam or some other venue?
When these representatives of jackassery post do they imagine somebody here reads it and thinks:
"Hmmm what a great idea Uknown Jackass had!!! I think I shall use Steam for all future distribution!!!"
I mean, really, ....... save your energy and mine.
cheers
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

Learn to read.

My position is that marketing expense with no business benefit is a -waste-.

Bleek, on the other hand, feels that marketing a product without any business case to justify the expense - is sensible. He specifically makes no claims about revenue - to him it is irrelevant.

Absolute business genius. I'm sure the lads at Matrix are preparing a job offer as we speak.

Steam business deals are confidential - you don't know their revenue split, you don't know what further obligations they place on the developer/publisher. And yet, despite your ignorance of the facts which are required to make any sort of business decision - you advocate Steam despite the fact that Erik has already dealt with them and declined to enter into a business relationship? It's not "steam" that bothers me. It's ignorant statements which bother me.

Oh dear, how old are you?

At what point did I say it revenue was irrelevant?

You're making it up as you go along, reading things out of content and twisting words to suit your agenda.

Grow up.

And can I just say, on what authority are you to condescend me in such a way, you know nothing about me or my business acumen. Clearly.
Kordanor

Post by Kordanor »

Just stop arguing with him. Better for your heart. Learnt that already. ^^
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Please keep it civil everyone.

Our interest and our job as the publishers of Distant Worlds is to maximize profit for everyone involved, so that we and Elliot can keep making games for a long time to come. While we have a lot of experience with strategy games and both mainstream and niche markets, we are always exploring new opportunities and keeping an open mind as well.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

I really wonder if the random hostility from a handful of posters in this forum does more to drive away potential new customers than the non-discounted price does.

[&:]
Bleek

Post by Bleek »

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

I really wonder if the random hostility from a handful of posters in this forum does more to drive away potential new customers than the non-discounted price does.

[&:]

Quite.

I don't frequent these forums often but some of the comments leave a lot to be desired.

Distant Worlds needs higher acclaim and wider recognition than it gets and before it grows old, that should be the main argument here.
kaihonsou

Post by kaihonsou »

Some people trying to help and get completely shot down. Its not a pleasant form of fanboyism, almost as if some people would hate it if DS became more popular. DayZ has the same problem.

You will have someone else mentioning Steam again at some point. I never new about DS till a week before I made this thread, and after trying to find where I could buy it to no avail I made this post about steam. I, and most others did not know there are expensive terms with steam and the other reasons why its not on there.

This forum has its share of elitist assholes. Im sure they feel very strongly that its "their" game and all these suggestions are from jackasses. EVERY SINGLE NEW PERSON will read the top few forums and eventually this thread, and what conclusion do you think they will come to after reading some of these comments? Dare they try and help the developer because we know a tiny loud minority don't want it.

I wont be coming back. Thanks for the discussion and for some of the helpful people on this forum for explaining why its not on steam. I wish the developer, and publisher all the best.

Kai.
BTJ

Post by BTJ »

[...]

This forum has its share of elitist assholes. Im sure they feel very strongly that its "their" game and all these suggestions are from jackasses. EVERY SINGLE NEW PERSON will read the top few forums and eventually this thread, and what conclusion do you think they will come to after reading some of these comments? Dare they try and help the developer because we know a tiny loud minority don't want it.

I wont be coming back. Thanks for the discussion and for some of the helpful people on this forum for explaining why its not on steam. I wish the developer, and publisher all the best.

Kai.

While I do think that there are forum members around who have serious problems with their communication skills and social competency, I have not yet met somebody claiming that DW is "his" game and was implying that DW should not be brought to broader attention, i.e. perceiving themselves as member of an elitist group. That would also be completely ridiculous as we are talking about a computer game here.

However, the bottom line of your statement is completely correct. These forums have become a very sad place. The top threads are about non-game related topics and the quality of communication is in a bad state. Not very inviting atmosphere for potential customers...

This has been different: strategy discussion took place, AAR were posted, people were mostly nice to each other. I hope when the new expansion comes out that this place will be more alive again...

Return to “General Discussion”