Return to Smolensk and Beyond, IdahoNY vs Scar

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

Seminole

RE: Sep 1945 Endgame in sight

Post by Seminole »

the fact that the newer model planes were not being used was also painful.

I believe the AI makes upgrades based on available pool for the current airframe, and whether the air group is under half strength.
But I think the AI aircraft upgrading can be a little flaky, so I usually turn it off.

e.g. from event log of my last MP server game:

220 DBAP air group upgraded planes from DB-3B to IL-4 Turn 002 6-26-1941 Soviet
220 DBAP air group changed planes from IL-4 to DB-3B Turn 010 8-21-1941 Soviet
220 DBAP air group upgraded planes from DB-3B to IL-4 Turn 013 9-11-1941 Soviet
220 DBAP air group changed planes from IL-4 to DB-3B Turn 016 10-2-1941 Soviet
220 DBAP air group upgraded planes from DB-3B to IL-4 Turn 021 11-6-1941 Soviet

228 DBAP air group changed planes from IL-4 to DB-3B Turn 002 6-26-1941 Soviet
228 DBAP air group upgraded planes from DB-3B to IL-4 Turn 007 7-31-1941 Soviet
228 DBAP air group changed planes from IL-4 to DB-3B Turn 017 10-9-1941 Soviet

242 BAP air group changed planes from Pe-2 to DB-3B Turn 002 6-26-1941 Soviet
242 BAP air group upgraded planes from DB-3B to IL-4 Turn 006 7-24-1941 Soviet
242 BAP air group changed planes from IL-4 to DB-3B Turn 011 8-28-1941 Soviet
242 BAP air group upgraded planes from DB-3B to IL-4 Turn 018 10-16-1941 Soviet

321 BAP air group changed planes from Pe-2 to DB-3B Turn 002 6-26-1941 Soviet
321 BAP air group upgraded planes from DB-3B to IL-4 Turn 004 7-10-1941 Soviet
321 BAP air group changed planes from IL-4 to DB-3B Turn 014 9-18-1941 Soviet
321 BAP air group upgraded planes from DB-3B to IL-4 Turn 015 9-25-1941 Soviet

53 DBAP air group upgraded planes from DB-3B to IL-4 Turn 005 7-17-1941 Soviet
53 DBAP air group changed planes from IL-4 to DB-3B Turn 015 9-25-1941 Soviet
53 DBAP air group upgraded planes from DB-3B to IL-4 Turn 020 10-30-1941 Soviet

90 DBAP air group changed planes from IL-4 to DB-3B Turn 010 8-21-1941 Soviet
90 DBAP air group upgraded planes from DB-3B to IL-4 Turn 011 8-28-1941 Soviet
90 DBAP air group changed planes from IL-4 to DB-3B Turn 014 9-18-1941 Soviet
90 DBAP air group upgraded planes from DB-3B to IL-4 Turn 019 10-23-1941 Soviet

96 DBAP air group changed planes from IL-4 to DB-3B Turn 011 8-28-1941 Soviet
96 DBAP air group upgraded planes from DB-3B to IL-4 Turn 012 9-4-1941 Soviet
96 DBAP air group changed planes from IL-4 to DB-3B Turn 015 9-25-1941 Soviet
"War is never a technical problem only, and if in pursuing technical solutions you neglect the psychological and the political, then the best technical solutions will be worthless." - Hermann Balck
Peltonx

Post by Peltonx »

Grats to you both [&o]
Beta Tester WitW & WitE
IdahoNYer

RE: Endgame

Post by IdahoNYer »

Thanks guys!

As per a request, here are the German final production numbers. First the industry - never had any shortages in manpower or armaments.

Attachments
endgame6.jpg
endgame6.jpg (273.92 KiB) Viewed 671 times
IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

Aircraft were always plentiful, no shortages. Aircraft production continued to the bitter end

Attachments
endgame7.jpg
endgame7.jpg (267.09 KiB) Viewed 671 times
IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

Panzer production ceased in April '45. Had plenty of panzers up to that point. All panzer divs were pretty much up to full strength during all months of the war prior to Apr '45. They got beat up occasionally, but if allowed to pull back and refit, they could get to 100%.

I understand the Panther D production has been fixed - I had plenty of Panther Ds produced!

Attachments
endgame8.jpg
endgame8.jpg (262.7 KiB) Viewed 671 times
IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

and lastly the infantry. Had a harder time getting infantry divisions up to full strength - even when pulled back to refit, despite never seeing a shortage of rifle squads in the pool

Attachments
endgame9.jpg
endgame9.jpg (306.14 KiB) Viewed 671 times
Walloc

Post by Walloc »

ORIGINAL: IdahoNYer

Thanks guys!

As per a request, here are the German final production numbers. First the industry - never had any shortages in manpower or armaments.

Thx Ed.

Kind regards,

Rasmus
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

In looking at the achtungpanzer website, they had total jagdpanther production estimated at 415. These game production figures show 4 times that # built. I wonder what was up with that?
janh

Post by janh »

First, hats off to both of you. This was my favorite AAR thus far, and for a good reason. You both played a very interesting game, and it was as much fun to watch the Soviet hordes to rush forward and push the Germans occasionally to the breaking point, as it was fun to watch how a German player can organize a defense and counterattack, saving some cut-off units or punishing the Red hordes. Lastly, this ARR also had a great style, it often read like the summary of a Wehrmacht's situation report.

I hope there will be more, maybe a 1942 or 43 GC start to compare what difference a historical 41 would now make? Or another GC with swapped roles?

I'd really also like to hear the opinions of both of you, where the present engine resides in terms of balance, or what you think isn't caught well with the rules or mechanics we have. Maybe some "constructive criticism" could still make it into WitW, or at least influence the future development of this series.
ORIGINAL: Scar23
There were lots of refit "bugs/issues' but these could have been caused by our patching as we went.

Would you mind positing your production and OOB screens as well? Looking at the overall casualties, 11M Russian and 5M German, it sounds like the fighting was a bit less. Could you in retrospect have pushed the Germans harder in the past years? Or were the manpower losses in 41 too crippling in the long run?
I don’t believe the supply model works at all. Both sides can launch broad attacks, all across the map, and all at once. No need to focus or worry about supplying multiple areas while on the attack. This seems too basic for a game with this much detail. I should be husbanding my supply resources, as should the Germans at some point.

Yeah, I think no one would argue with that point any longer. Even if it presently would skew the whole production model away from the numbers based on research, I would favor toning down the supply production across the board for both sides. Make it artificially scarce, basically. And then also increase the penalties for supply flow forward, maybe add a penalty rule that affects an attacker more so than a defender: add a reduction in the supply phase for say Panzers/Mech/Armor that end the turn below 10 MP, and Infantry below 6 MP or so. Something that after 2 or 3 turns pushing forward will require at least 1 turn pause.
I think isolated units fold too quickly. The reduction to their CV should be linked to supply better. A 12-15 CV unit with 80% supplies will go to 1 CV as soon as isolated, if it still has enough supplies on hand to continue to fight effectively there should be a drop to moral for being isolated, but if they have the supplies there should not be such a big drop in CV. Now if it is attacked, and burns through its supply, I could see the drastic reduction… so multiple attacks on an isolated unit would cause use of supply, thus reducing its CV. I don't see how a Stalingrad encirclement could ever be simulated by the game, as it would never hold out more than a turn or two unless it was level 4 entrenched in a city. Then maybe two turns.

Nothing to add here either, I think the community generally agrees with that. This would also greatly lower OP-Tempo, hence not going overboard with any other penalties, and it would make pockets last "much more realistically" longer. Maybe increase "wastage" so that the CV drops 30% per turn by depleting supply quicker? In the end, imagine if the Lvov pocket lived for 3-4 turns -- and left the pockets units enough strength to inflict some more casualties until they are gone; it would do a lot to make the Lvov fighting more credible, not purely an I-Go-U-Go artifact.
Something still seems wrong with the entrenchments. At times our game seemed to be too attritional. Maybe tie entrenchments to Action points or something. I know the Russians need the entrenchments to hope to stand against the Germans early on (and this could be fixed by making the Russians a little better so they would not rely so heavily on entrenchments, but most of their units are 1-3 CVs, put 25-30 CVs in a level 3 entrenchment and it’s not possible to successfully assault the hex. I was losing 6-8k in men on assaults for no real gain, even if I won the hex…there was another level 2-3 entrenchment behind the first one.

Obviously the Soviet fort spam is done for, but now the Germans in the later years have the APs, often the manpower, and always the construction units to create quite a few eastwalls. I am not sure where the problem here really is, i.e. is it because your Army was not growing strong enough, quick enough anymore to overcome those fort lines (i.e. your offensive potential was effectively robbed in 41/42), or whether it was just to easy for the Germans to erect them. The balance in this game seems to hinge on a very narrow line, and of course your Army being weaker resulted in Axis defense being stronger, Axis losses lower, and more manpower for more fort zones being available. Maybe the balance in this aspect as much as in a few others should be more forgiving?

BTW, the Axis material pools are impressive, especially manpower and no question, also planes. Imagine this were a "War in Europe" game where you'd have these spares now available in the West or South...
notenome

Post by notenome »

I've advocated that an isolated unit should have to make a morale/xp check. If it passes both it experiences no CV reduction. It would still loose morale every turn, making the checks harder to pass, and have increased attrition. This would make high xp/morale units much hardier.
notenome

Post by notenome »

I've advocated that an isolated unit should have to make a morale/xp check. If it passes both it experiences no CV reduction. It would still loose morale every turn, making the checks harder to pass, and have increased attrition. This would make high xp/morale units much hardier.
Schmart

Post by Schmart »

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

In looking at the achtungpanzer website, they had total jagdpanther production estimated at 415. These game production figures show 4 times that # built. I wonder what was up with that?

There were some changes made to vehicle production over the course of various patches. However, as these are data changes, they only take effect when starting a new game. As this game has been going on for a very long time, they wouldn't have taken effect in this game.

I'm pretty sure the Jagdpanther was one of those changes. I know for sure that Panther D production was reduced by about 75% IIRC. A total of about 850 Panther Ds were built historically, but we can see in this game that 1722 were built. After the 80% production modifier and vehicles arriving via unit reinforcements, Panther D production should be about 25% of what it was in this game (1722 x 25% = 430).
Schmart

Post by Schmart »

Idaho, would it be possible to post some shots of the aircraft, vehicle, and gun/squad losses as well?

It would also be interesting for Scar to post some shots of Soviet production and losses.
Schmart

Post by Schmart »

Interesting to see from the production screens how some equipment and troops were produced but few (sometimes none) appear to have been used by units. The upgrade path or equipment distribution system could probably use some tweaking.
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Hmmmm, the Axis *can* win.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Silence, ye wretched Soviet--o-phile. [:-]
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

Silence, ye wretched Soviet--o-phile. [:-]

Heyyyyyy......[:D]
Ketza

Post by Ketza »

I make a motion to move this AAR to the top with Tarhunnas.

It is a well deserved spot!
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

Seconded!
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Third!!

Return to “After Action Reports”