Has anyone tried playing this on a Macbook Air (with Windows)?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

OxfordGuy3

Has anyone tried playing this on a Macbook Air (with Windows)?

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Hi - I have a 2012 Macbook Air and was wondering how well this game would perform on it (in Windows 7 via Bootcamp). The computer has integrated Intel 4000 HD graphics (which I think can use up to 512Mb of system RAM), a 2.0Ghz i7 dual core CPU and 8Gb RAM. Because there's no demo, I can't easily check out how well the game would run on this computer... Thanks!
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
jpwrunyan

RE: Has anyone tried playing this on a Macbook Air (with Windows)?

Post by jpwrunyan »

I thought people who buy macs only used their "computer" to do facebook and play angry birds. Why would you spend your parents' money on apple products if you wanted to run real software?

Sell your mac for half the money it cost and you can get a PC with the same level of hardware thereby obviating this issue.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

What an offensive reply, I hope this isn't typical of posters on this forum, hardly welcomes one to the community :-(

FYI I'm a project manager in my forties and bought (with my own salary) my Macbook Air mainly for work, as I have to travel alot (its light and has excellent battery life) and I much prefer the Mac OS X interface. I do like space 4x games (e.g. Masters of Orion II, Sins of a Solar Empire) and other strategy games, e.g. (Europa Universalis III, For the Glory, Crusader Kings II, Civ V), however, and most of these *do* run absolutely fine in Windows 7 via Bootcamp on my Macbook Air (its not like I'm trying to play fast FPS games), but as Distant Worlds does not have a demo *and* is very expensive if buying all expansions too (which sounds essential for the best playing experience), I thought I should check here first.

If this response is typical of the DW user community (I've never had a response like this on Paradox forums), though, I don't know that I will bother buying it, unless others here seem more helpful and less rude.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Thankfully I have received a more helpful reply from Caesar_Augustus in the tech forum, so my faith in the SW user community has been restored a little...
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

It would be nice if the misanthropes crawled back under their rocks, but I guess they're present in any forum. Don't let it turn you off of DW, it's a fantastic game!
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

Welcome to the forum oxford_guy.

Most of us are pretty friendly most of the time.

Given the games you mention playing and liking, I'm sure you will enjoy Distant Worlds. [:)]
Igard

Post by Igard »

Welcome oxford_guy. Shame that you got such a negative response, but we're mostly a good bunch around here.

Let us know how you get on. [:)]
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Igard

Welcome oxford_guy. Shame that you got such a negative response, but we're mostly a good bunch around here.

Let us know how you get on. [:)]

Thanks guys, and that Picard Era Star Trek mod sounds intriguing... I'm tempted to pick up DW and the first expansion (which I understand adds crucial user interface improvements, making the game much more playable), and then if I get on with that, picking up DW Legends.

BTW I never really got on with GalCiv 2, which seemed to lack atmosphere (and interesting ship combat), but loved MOO2, is DW nearer to the latter experience game play-wise than the former?
onomastikon

Post by onomastikon »

I was also one of the few that never enjoyed GC2. It's hard to say what DW is closer to, but it does feel different than GC2. Sadly, there's only one way to really see for yourself, and that way is expensive and without a demo. I believe, however, that DW is only one very comprehensive patch (or two quite comprehensive ones) away from being a truly excellent game.
Cauldyth

Post by Cauldyth »

Have you played any of the Paradox games, like the Europa Universalis series? It's like space 4X crossed with that. ;)
oxenshtrudel

Post by oxenshtrudel »

I would also say that empire building and game play is more like paradox titles than moo2 or galciv. It does however have much more of the exploring than those titles.

What I think stands out most of all though is the automation options. Most 4x games are fun in the beginning but once you get to a certain empire size most games turn to be more micromanagement chores than fun. This game can literally play itself and you can in great detail decide what parts you want to control yourself. There are also a detailed policy system that let you guide how the AI should control the parts that you delegate.

I usually start out with manually handling everything but let the AI take over more and more parts when my empire grows.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Cauldyth

Have you played any of the Paradox games, like the Europa Universalis series? It's like space 4X crossed with that. ;)

Hell yeah, Europa Universalis II/For the Glory are probably my favourite games ever (along with MOO2 and Baldur's Gate...)! :-)
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: oxenshtrudel

I would also say that empire building and game play is more like paradox titles than moo2 or galciv. It does however have much more of the exploring than those titles.

What I think stands out most of all though is the automation options. Most 4x games are fun in the beginning but once you get to a certain empire size most games turn to be more micromanagement chores than fun. This game can literally play itself and you can in great detail decide what parts you want to control yourself. There are also a detailed policy system that let you guide how the AI should control the parts that you delegate.

I usually start out with manually handling everything but let the AI take over more and more parts when my empire grows.

Okay, you guys are starting to really sell it to me... :-)
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: oxford_guy
What an offensive reply, I hope this isn't typical of posters on this forum, hardly welcomes one to the community :-(

Offensive or not, it is accurate and correct. As an IT guy, you should know that the manner of delivery of the information is of no importance compared to the information itself.
...but as Distant Worlds does not have a demo *and* is very expensive if buying all expansions too

DW's lack of a demo and their pricing is an ongoing issue of contention. I would applaud it if you were to post your views as a prospective consumer - with respect to the lack of a demo and pricing.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
oxenshtrudel

Post by oxenshtrudel »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

Offensive or not, it is accurate and correct. As an IT guy, you should know that the manner of delivery of the information is of no importance compared to the information itself.
...but as Distant Worlds does not have a demo *and* is very expensive if buying all expansions too

DW's lack of a demo and their pricing is an ongoing issue of contention. I would applaud it if you were to post your views as a prospective consumer - with respect to the lack of a demo and pricing.

Well as an IT-guy who dislikes Apple I would say that the information was nether accurate or correct. He stated that he is employed hence his parents didn't pay for his computer. There are also quite a lot of real software available on the Apple platform. There is quite a lot of server/professional software that run butter on Mac/Linux than on windows.

I also doubt that Apple is twice as expensive as similar PC-products. Was a while since I locked but I think the premium is more in 10-30% range.

On the pricing you might have a point that it might be time for releasing a package with all DLC:s included. Let's hope that it will come with the next expansion/version.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Well as an IT-guy who dislikes Apple I would say that the information was nether accurate or correct. He stated that he is employed hence his parents didn't pay for his computer. There are also quite a lot of real software available on the Apple platform. There is quite a lot of server/professional software that run butter on Mac/Linux than on windows.

Quite - Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac is polished, Merlin is as powerful as Microsoft Project (and compatible with it) and much nicer to use, Adobe Photoshop runs great (and I bet more professional Photographers and Designers use Macs than PCs...), and Ableton Live (music production software) is more stable on a Mac. I'm not "anti-PC", choice of operating system is personal preference, I just happen to prefer the Mac environment, but its wrong to imply that a Mac is not a "professional" platform or used as such by many.
I also doubt that Apple is twice as expensive as similar PC-products. Was a while since I locked but I think the premium is more in 10-30% range.

Actually even less for me, as I work for a department that is associated with Oxford University, so get an educational discount (this does apply to staff as well as students)
On the pricing you might have a point that it might be time for releasing a package with all DLC:s included. Let's hope that it will come with the next expansion/version.

I don't mind paying a fair price for a good product, but without a demo its a bit of a leap into the unknown, especially as some have said the game is not really playable without at least the first expansion...
oxenshtrudel

Post by oxenshtrudel »

I don't mind paying a fair price for a good product, but without a demo its a bit of a leap into the unknown, especially as some have said the game is not really playable without at least the first expansion...

I wouldn't say that the main game is unplayable and there are other ways to try out the game even though we don't speak about them in this forum. Each expansion adds quite a bit of features that enhances the game play a lot but it's the main game that got me hooked about two years ago. With the list of games you listed (MOO2, SIOSE, EU3, CK2, CIV5) I think this game fits rather good in the same genre. I currently swap between CK2, CIV5 with epansion and SIOSE rebelion at home but while commuting I still play distant world since it is very playable even on non-gaming oriented computer and I really still enjoy it even though I have spent hundreds of hours with different versions/expansions.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

...the information was nether accurate or correct. He stated that he is employed hence his parents didn't pay for his computer.

Incorrect. The information at the time of the post didn't present that information.
There are also quite a lot of real software available on the Apple platform. There is quite a lot of server/professional software that run butter on Mac/Linux than on windows.

"Lot" is a relative term. You have a "lot" of money compared to a beggar, but not a "lot" of money compared to Warren Buffet. In this case, the points of comparison - as you state - are based on availability of software for the OS'.

What's the software market share of Mac OS? Three percent? That's a "lot"?

Unfair comparison. Compare "best price" for a Mac with the "best price" for an equivalent PC (based on technical specs). You'll find that the price is far closer to double, than your claim of "10-30%". You're cherry-picking your information - taking the most expensive PCs on the market and comparing them to Macs.

Agreed.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
oxenshtrudel

Post by oxenshtrudel »

...the information was nether accurate or correct. He stated that he is employed hence his parents didn't pay for his computer.

Incorrect. The information at the time of the post didn't present that information.

Unawareness doesn't make something accurate or correct. The first reply was based on presumptions that was incorrect in this case.
There are also quite a lot of real software available on the Apple platform. There is quite a lot of server/professional software that run butter on Mac/Linux than on windows.

"Lot" is a relative term. You have a "lot" of money compared to a beggar, but not a "lot" of money compared to Warren Buffet. In this case, the points of comparison - as you state - are based on availability of software for the OS'.

What's the software market share of Mac OS? Three percent? That's a "lot"?
I wasn't talking about market share. I was talking about the existence of professional software for the OS.

There are a lot of valid arguments for choosing either PC or Mac as a professional and I know quite a number of software developer who prefers using Mac even though I know more that prefers windows. The debate of which platform is the best or best value can go on forever. In the end it's mostly a matter of personal preference for either side.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

Unawareness doesn't make something accurate or correct. The first reply was based on presumptions that was incorrect in this case.

I was referring to his statement on the relative prices of PCs to Macs, not his supposition on the income source of oxford_guy.
I wasn't talking about market share. I was talking about the existence of professional software for the OS.

There are a lot of valid arguments for choosing either PC or Mac as a professional and I know quite a number of software developer who prefers using Mac even though I know more that prefers windows. The debate of which platform is the best or best value can go on forever. In the end it's mostly a matter of personal preference for either side.

You used the term, "lot", which I reiterate is comparative. A "lot" of software for a Mac compared to a PC. That it exists I do not disagree. But to present Mac software choices as bountiful - "a lot" - in comparison to PCs is absurd.

The preference of developers is irrelevant. Your statement was on the availability of software choices.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”