Printer-friendly manual?

This forum is for official support and troubleshooting FAQs.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

TJD

Printer-friendly manual?

Post by TJD »

Greetings:

I just bought TOAW III and am wondering if a printer-friendly version of the manual is available somewhere.... I see only one manual version included, TOAW3-Manual-[EBOOK].pdf, and it clearly wasn't intended for print....

Thanks!

Best,

Tim
Curtis Lemay

RE: Printer-friendly manual?

Post by Curtis Lemay »

ORIGINAL: TJD

Greetings:

I just bought TOAW III and am wondering if a printer-friendly version of the manual is available somewhere.... I see only one manual version included, TOAW3-Manual-[EBOOK].pdf, and it clearly wasn't intended for print....

What's the problem with printing it?
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
Oberst_Klink

Post by Oberst_Klink »

Well... there's a function in Foxit Reader to switch/print it in text view; e.g. pure text that is; printer quality in draft mode and perhaps using a laser printer from the office, both pages to be printed and voila! 39 pages in less than 5min printed out, eco-mode...

Klink, Oberst

Attachments
Foxit.jpg
Foxit.jpg (143.34 KiB) Viewed 120 times
My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.
TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

The text of each page of the manual is overlaid on an image of aged brown lined paper with "Top Secret" watermarked on it. So printing the manual entails printing a huge number of useless images. Nice for a formally printed and bound manual but not so friendly for a home job. I tried to use Nitro to get rid of all but the in-line images but unfortunately the manual is not set-up very well and it's all or nothing. Many games come with a lo-graphics or "Lite" version that will avoid this sort of a problem.

Thanks,
Tim
TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Well... there's a function in Foxit Reader to switch/print it in text view; e.g. pure text that is;

That's great and thanks for the suggestion but I was hoping to preserve the in-line images. Just want to get rid of that background crap. You can generally get all the text from a pdf by putting it on continuous view and then selecting all and copying to clipboard. But the in-line images don't come along.

Best,

Tim
Panama

Post by Panama »

The text of each page of the manual is overlaid on an image of aged brown lined paper with "Top Secret" watermarked on it.

Thanks,
Tim

I'm scratching my head over that statement. I'm looking at a PDF manual for the game with a 2006 copyright and it's plain white background. Is there a more recent version available?
TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: Panama

I'm scratching my head over that statement. I'm looking at a PDF manual for the game with a 2006 copyright and it's plain white background. Is there a more recent version available?

Mine is 2007, for v. 3.1.0.9

Best,

Tim
Panama

Post by Panama »

I don't know how much difference there is in the contents of the manuals. The 'What's New' document might make an updated manual unnecessary. They must have gotten artsy in the latest one.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Mine is 2007, for v. 3.1.0.9

Best,

Tim

Tim,

I can email you a copy of the 2006 manual. It should not be different from the 2007 apart from the lack of a background image on the pages. Even zipped, though, it is a 7.8Mb download. Let me know if you want me to do this.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

I can email you a copy of the 2006 manual. It should not be different from the 2007 apart from the lack of a background image on the pages. Even zipped, though, it is a 7.8Mb download. Let me know if you want me to do this.

Best wishes,
Steve

Thanks, Steve, I'd like that. This is very kind of you. My address is landseye AT gmail DOT com

Best!

Tim
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Tim,

You have mail.

Best wishes,
Steve
Curtis Lemay

Post by Curtis Lemay »

I don't know how much difference there is in the contents of the manuals. The 'What's New' document might make an updated manual unnecessary. They must have gotten artsy in the latest one.

The only manual I'm aware of is the 2006 one. Someone else earlier was referencing a manual that didn't seem to have the same page numbering as that one, as well. This is puzzling.
My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site
TJD

Post by TJD »

The only manual I'm aware of is the 2006 one. Someone else earlier was referencing a manual that didn't seem to have the same page numbering as that one, as well. This is puzzling.

I downloaded the manual along with the big game update directly from the Matrix ftp server because the in-game updater was intolerably slow. Any chance the version difference might be due to that? They are different manuals; my version says 3.1.09 right on the cover, while the one Steve sent me does not. I wonder if the update I installed might have some differences too. That would not be good.

Best,

Tim
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

I downloaded the manual along with the big game update directly from the Matrix ftp server because the in-game updater was intolerably slow. Any chance the version difference might be due to that? They are different manuals; my version says 3.1.09 right on the cover, while the one Steve sent me does not. I wonder if the update I installed might have some differences too. That would not be good.

Best,

Tim

Bob,

My guess is that Matrix repackaged the game download after 3.1. If I remember correctly this would probably be somewhere around the time that they produced the printed manual for the physical shipment option.

Whether the 2007 manual includes the details of the 3.1 patch I do not know.

Tim,

The latest update to TOAW III is 3.4. This contains a what's new document that details all the changes to the game since the original release of TOAW III. You will need to print this off and refer to it as a supplement to the manual irrespective of whether the manual is the 2006 or 2007 version. There are bug fixes and there are improvements.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Steve
TJD

Post by TJD »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Tim,

The latest update to TOAW III is 3.4. This contains a what's new document that details all the changes to the game since the original release of TOAW III. You will need to print this off and refer to it as a supplement to the manual irrespective of whether the manual is the 2006 or 2007 version. There are bug fixes and there are improvements.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Steve

Thanks Steve, I've got the What's New on the printer already. Still working my way through these materials. I've been wargaming since forever and it's hard to believe I've overlooked TOAW until now.

Thanks again for your help!

Best,

Tim

Return to “TOAW III Support”