Distant Worlds on Intel 4000 HD Graphics?

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

OxfordGuy3

Distant Worlds on Intel 4000 HD Graphics?

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Hi - I have a 2012 Macbook Air with Intel 4000 HD graphics, a 2.0Ghz i7 CPU and 8Gb RAM - should Distant Worlds and its expansions run okay on this (in Windows 7 via Bootcamp)? There's no demo, so I can't easily check... Thanks!
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Caesar_Augustus

RE: Distant Worlds on Intel 4000 HD Graphics?

Post by Caesar_Augustus »

You should have no problems whatsoever! On a MacBook Pro 2011 (with Parallels for Windows) and Intel i7 Core, 8 GB RAM, and HD 3000 graphics, the game runs just fine. [:)]

By the way, Spain, grand winner of the Euro 2012 Cup [:)] (and the Euro 2008 Cup [:D]... and the 2010 World Cup [:D]... and... [:D])
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Thank you Caesar_Augustus - much more helpful than the offensive reply I received on this topic in the main DW forum from jpwrunyan, I hope yours is more typical of the DW user community.

BTW you say you're that playing in on a Macbook Pro (and via Paralles - which is promising, as many games crawl under this), is this on the 13" version, as the 15" version has both integrated HD3000 graphcis *and* as a discrete graphic card for more more graphically intenseive applications, so would perform much better with games than the 13" version, which is perhaps more comparable to my Macbook Air? Thanks again
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Caesar_Augustus

Not at all, oxford_guy! I daresay rude comments are certainly NOT the norm in the DW forums; most people here are wonderful fellows [:)].

As to your question, I use both a MacBook Pro 13 and 15 inch, 2011 versions. True indeed, the 15 inch has discrete graphics, so gameplay should be better on paper than on the 13 inch model. Truthfully though, I haven't been able to tell the difference (but then again, I've really only played on the 15 inch model [:D]). The 13 inch version is more comparable to your MacBook Air, but since yours is a 2012 model, you have Intel HD 4000 (as compared to my HD 3000), which according to Apple, may mean a 60% increase in graphic performance. And not only that, mine are both i7 Sandy-bridge Core but yours is a newer Ivy-bridge i7 Core so you should be just flying through the galaxy! We both enjoy 8 GB Ram which is also very helpful, especially running Parallels.

Enjoy yourself and let us know how DW Legends "flies" in your MacBook "Air". [;)]
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Okay, thanks for clarifying. I was think of getting DW and the second expansion initially (which sounds like the more crucial one), then if I get on with that combination, then also getting DW Legends later.
Caesar_Augustus

DW Legends adds so much to DW! In any case, the original DW is quite enjoyable and the first expansion, Return of the Shakturi, adds several good features, including fighters. Legends just builds on all this to make an overall more richer experience. By the way, I should have mentioned that I play with Parallels on a 2 GB RAM dedicated, 1 GB Video RAM, all cores, virtual 32-bit Windows XP Professional platform. Windows Vista and Windows 7 use up more RAM, so playing on XP seems to free up resources that are better used for... playing! [:)]
Dracus

Post by Dracus »

Actually what that guy posted in that thread is called 'mac hate'. it is the same hate that mac users give pc users. What everyone seems to forget is that once apple started using intel inside thier systems, the mac in all but name became the pc. they both have basicly the same guts and you can load mac os on a pc or load windows on a mac.

the OS is what makes the difference and some games are not created for MAC OS which maeans that it may be a gamble if they will run under that os. Lucky you can use the same hardware and load a windows os as a dual boot or as a virtual and many times run the windows based game that way.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Indeed, I'm quite used to having to boot into Windows (usually via Bootcamp, unless its a game with a low-resource requirement, in which case I use VM Ware Fusion, which is similar to Parallels) to play a game. My original question was more about whether the hardware of my Macbook Air is capable of running DW, though I'd be surprised if it wasn't, as the 2012 Macbook Air is quite powerful compared to earlier iterations

BTW you can't easiy run Mac OS X on a "normal PC", though it is possible to hack one to do this (as I did on an old netbook I have), it works, but its not ideal.
oxenshtrudel

Post by oxenshtrudel »

You should not have any problem running the game. I have played since the original release on my 3 year old work computer with Intel integrated graphics. The game is based on .net framework and uses only 2D graphics so it's mainly CPU-based. And without DRM it is one of the few game I feel secure to install on a work computer.

I read on your other thread that you like similar kind of strategy games so I think you should give this a try. I still enjoy playing this almost every day while commuting to work even after beta-testing two expansions. I would also recommend to buy both expansions since they both give significant improvements to the main game.

Btw, I just got a new work computer today with Intel 4000 HD graphics so I can tell you tomorrow if I got it to work. [;)]
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: oxenshtrudel

You should not have any problem running the game. I have played since the original release on my 3 year old work computer with Intel integrated graphics. The game is based on .net framework and uses only 2D graphics so it's mainly CPU-based. And without DRM it is one of the few game I feel secure to install on a work computer.

I read on your other thread that you like similar kind of strategy games so I think you should give this a try. I still enjoy playing this almost every day while commuting to work even after beta-testing two expansions. I would also recommend to buy both expansions since they both give significant improvements to the main game.

Btw, I just got a new work computer today with Intel 4000 HD graphics so I can tell you tomorrow if I got it to work. [;)]

That would be fantastic, thanks! :-)
oxenshtrudel

Post by oxenshtrudel »

Installed and it seems to work fine with 4000 HD (core i7-3520M) graphics on windows 7 64-bit. I will test it more on the bus but I don't think I will run into any problems since loading a saved game and running it worked.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: oxenshtrudel

Installed and it seems to work fine with 4000 HD (core i7-3520M) graphics on windows 7 64-bit. I will test it more on the bus but I don't think I will run into any problems since loading a saved game and running it worked.

Great stuff! :-)
oxenshtrudel

Post by oxenshtrudel »

Still no glitches. Have played for about 1,5 hours...
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Thanks for the update
kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

Old thread but one of the few (only) I found on topic so perhaps I can get the gamers above to comment...

MacBook 15", High Sierra OS, running Parallels with new Win10 install. Can not seem to get DW to run. Know Win10 has some issues so insured I could get DW to run under Win10 using an older PC laptop, got it running on the PC but no joy in using the same settings under Parallels.

Any help or advice?

Thanks. Kevin
MacBook Pro / WITP-AE running in Parallels v15.x
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

DW does require components that are built into Windows as part of Internet Explorer and Media Player. Do you have those as part of your Parallels Windows 10 installation? I know Parallels is a virtual environment and we have not tested DW on it or officially support it, although others have gotten it working there, but does it generally support .NET out of the box?
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

Thank you for jumping in Erik. An update... figured having two variables (Mac/Parallels and Win10) here was not a good idea so bit the bullet and bought a copy of Win7 I could install in Parallels. So setup now is Mac/Parallels and Win7 Pro. At this point Win7 is virgin install plus the about 200 updates MS had on line for it as of today.

Install of DW-Universal went fine, it pulled & installed the .net and other utility at the end of the game install. Also installed the small DW-U update.

Symptom is much like I saw previously, the game flash pops up for a few seconds than goes away without the game starting.
kbfchicago

Post by kbfchicago »

Update. Ran DXSETUP in the "redist." folder and game has started. Will update after I run few turns to confirm all is well.

Summary to this point:
Parallels (v13) install on MacBook Pro
WIn7 Pro running in Parallels (updated with current patches)
Standard DW-U install, installed the net and other add on required at end of install
updated DW-U with the one update
Ran DXSETP, I also set the "run as administrator" (early when it was not working, have not yet backed it out) for the DW-U application

Return to “Tech Support”