(REL) Place Names Mod by Redmarkus

Post new scenarios and mods here to share with other gamers.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21, bcgames

Redmarkus5

RE: (REL) Place Names Mod by Redmarkus

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Been thinking about the typos, because I don't usually make many. Here's a possible explanation.

My trigger for developing this mod was Goran's map mod - I liked the concept, but I didn't like the large font or the fact that he was adding towns to the map that don't exist in the program.

So, it is possible that when I started my mod I had Goran's mod installed. I don't have time to check this now, but if anyone has Goran's mod installed and sees the same spelling errors as the ones in my mod, then that is the explanation.

Regardless, I am afraid that my work on WitE mods is over...
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

redmarkus,

This will always be a great mod. Thank-you for taking the time to produce it. I use it and am better off for it.

v/r

bcgames
WilliePete

Post by WilliePete »

where are the "no hex" versions of the mod? It looks like all the links posted above are the hex versions... Thanks!
- They That Sow The Wind, Shall Reap The Whirlwind -
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: WilliePete

where are the "no hex" versions of the mod? It looks like all the links posted above are the hex versions... Thanks!

Here you go - give it about 10 minutes before you DL as it's still uploading. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/29184871/WitE_Zoom2_NoGrid.zip

The Zip process got a bit screwed up on these files so you need to unzip all the way down.

There was very little demand for the now grid version.

There's a good WitE Wiki somewhere that has links to all mods.
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4
There's a good WitE Wiki somewhere that has links to all mods.

War in the East Wiki:
http://witewiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Cheers BC :)

When are you planning to bring your skills to the Decisive Campaigns CB forum? There's some serious modding opportunities over there too!
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

Been thinking about the typos, because I don't usually make many. Here's a possible explanation.

My trigger for developing this mod was Goran's map mod - I liked the concept, but I didn't like the large font or the fact that he was adding towns to the map that don't exist in the program.

So, it is possible that when I started my mod I had Goran's mod installed. I don't have time to check this now, but if anyone has Goran's mod installed and sees the same spelling errors as the ones in my mod, then that is the explanation.

I think that must be it, because Gorans mod used the German transcriptions of the place names. Sad to hear there will be no more improvements, but it is still a great mod. And I agree with you, the place names should have been in the game from the beginning.
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
bcgames

Post by bcgames »

When are you planning to bring your skills to the Decisive Campaigns CB forum? There's some serious modding opportunities over there too!
Thanks for the invite redmarkus4!

As usual, I see that you are quite active over there at the DCCB forum, and generous as always with your efforts to advance another good game. I hope to join you there soon.
Apollo11

Post by Apollo11 »

Hi all,
ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas

I think that must be it, because Gorans mod used the German transcriptions of the place names. Sad to hear there will be no more improvements, but it is still a great mod. And I agree with you, the place names should have been in the game from the beginning.

Fredrik, I still use redmarkus4 map mod (even with imperfections)! [:)]

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

ORIGINAL: Apollo11

Fredrik, I still use redmarkus4 map mod (even with imperfections)! [:)]

Me too!
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

redmarcus4 -

Very recently took a break from WitP AE to play and learn WitE. There are advantages to letting some time go by before playing a game. Your map mods is one of them. It is absolutely First Class and professionally done.

I am very humbled by the quality of your work - and can only suspect the time and effort it took to produce this mod.

Thank You again.

Mac
LAV-25 2147
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Thanks Mac and sorry for the tardy response. I rarely visit here I'm afraid... :(
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: bcgames
Thanks for the invite redmarkus4!

As usual, I see that you are quite active over there at the DCCB forum, and generous as always with your efforts to advance another good game. I hope to join you there soon.

I'm still waiting ;)
OddBall2

Post by OddBall2 »

Oh crap what did I do. I tried to add the city names which pretty muched worked really well till I scrolled across the Balkens and it is all messed up. What did i do wrong. I kinda cheated because I do not know how to "zip" a file. I created a new file and called it the correct name. I dragged the old Tga files into the new folder. Then clicked on the new Tga download. Highlighted all files and dragged then from one window to the other. I did notice there was not a 1Tga or 2Tga. Can someone help me Please???
Michael J. Keohane
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: OddBall2

Oh crap what did I do. I tried to add the city names which pretty muched worked really well till I scrolled across the Balkens and it is all messed up. What did i do wrong. I kinda cheated because I do not know how to "zip" a file. I created a new file and called it the correct name. I dragged the old Tga files into the new folder. Then clicked on the new Tga download. Highlighted all files and dragged then from one window to the other. I did notice there was not a 1Tga or 2Tga. Can someone help me Please???

Hey there.

I'm not sure exactly what went wrong from your description, but here's how to fix it:

Firstly, to restore your game to Vanilla (i.e. no place names).

1. Find your saved game folder. It should be here: C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\save
2. Copy that Save folder (or open it and just copy the particular saves you don't want to potentially lose.)
3. Paste what you've copied somewhere, for example to a folder on your desktop or in My Documents. This is your backup.
4. Now install the game again and patch it.
5. Go and look in the Save folder again. Your old saves should still be there, but if they are not, past them back in from the folder you backed up.

Optionally, now you can try to install the Place Names Mod again.

1. Download 7-zip free here and install it: http://www.7-zip.org/
2. Go to the first Place Names Zip file in Windows explorer and right click on the zipped folder - don't open the folder, just right click on it.
3. Choose '7-zip' from the menu that opens up and then select the option 'Extract to here'.
4. You should now see a bunch of graphics files. You have just unzipped your first Zip file! Go treat yourself to a beer! Next, select all of the unzipped graphics files and, with them selected, right click again, then choose 'Cut'.
5. Now navigate to your Art folder: C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\Art
6. Paste the graphics files you just 'Cut' into the relevant Zoom folder. (If you unzipped them from Zoom2 then paste them into Zoom2, etc.)
7. Repeat that process for each Zip file.

Now, run the game and you should see the place names in the correct places. If you don't I can't explain why not.
OddBall2

Post by OddBall2 »

Thank you redmarkus4, did exactly what you said and it works fine. Appreciate it.
Michael J. Keohane
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: OddBall2

Thank you redmarkus4, did exactly what you said and it works fine. Appreciate it.

Good. Hope you enjoy the Mod :)
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

I received a request to re-upload the files as my old Dropbox links have died.

ZIP FILE IS UPLOADING NOW (12.15 GMT ON 23 JAN 2016) AND WILL TAKE A FEW HOURS! SLOW CONNECTION!!! PLEASE WAIT UNTIL ABOUT 16.00 GMT BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO DOWNLOAD.

The new link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/fwubmgw7wf2q4 ... d.zip?dl=0

UPDATED BELOW WITH EXPANDED INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS BY OMAT

ORIGINAL TEXT

This is the new thread for what was originally called "My Version of the Frontline Mod."

Special thanks to GoranW for his inspirational Front-line Mod and to Red Lancer for graciously providing his huge table of cities, towns and values.

The mod name has changed and I wanted to start a new page with the release of Version 1.0

SPECIAL NOTE - Installing this mod only changes the graphics you see on the map. It will not affect your game in any other way. Saved games will run exactly as they should and no changes to hex values types, MPs, CVs or anything else are made by this map mod.

KEY FEATURES OF THE MOD

1. All SU and German town names (excluding SE Europe) are now visible at Zoom levels 1-3. The names are spelled as per the game, with no relocation of towns etc. A few typos have been reported, but most 'errors' are a reflection of the spelling used in the game.

2. Icons added for factories and resources. It's 1 icon per hex, so you need to check for multiple factories and/or resources by drilling down as before.

3. Port icons and shipping lanes added to remind players that supply and evacuation may occur through those routes.

4. Some illustrations and notes have been added in the Baltic and Black Sea to highlight the naval aspects of the campaign.

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS

1) First, backup your Zoom2 map FOLDER. Normally you can find it at:

C:\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\Art\Zoom2

or

C:\Program Files\Matrix Games\Gary Grigsby's War in the East\Dat\Art\Zoom2

or wherever you chose to install the game...

Copy the whole Zoom2 folder and save that copy somewhere else (e.g. on your desktop).

Then extract the modded Zoom2 files to your original Zoom2 folder inside the game and overwrite the original images.

Now do the same for the Zoom4 folder and files: copy, backup and the unzip and overwrite.

These are just graphic files. They only change the map by adding place names and do not affect anything else in the game. Saved games can be safely continued.
comsubpac

Post by comsubpac »

the new link is dead too. Could you please reupload your great mod?
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: comsubpac

the new link is dead too. Could you please reupload your great mod?

Damn! I changed my Dropbox folder structure to optimize it and didn't realise that would kill the link. OP updated and here's the new link again: https://www.dropbox.com/s/rjv98douz6wjp ... d.zip?dl=0

Uploading now (0700 UK on 14 Feb) so give it a while...

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”