Japanese Aircraft Production: New Realities on Light Bombers

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Q-Ball

Japanese Aircraft Production: New Realities on Light Bombers

Post by Q-Ball »

I am playing DDC, and not sure if a patch was done or Da Babes is the reason, but you now have to pay PPs to convert IJA Light Bomber units to Medium Bombers. Alot, in fact, 75 for a 12 plane Chutai, and 100 for a 27 plane Sentai.

I'm not complaining about the rule, I like it, probably more realistic. But it does change a bit how you manage aircraft production.

Before this change, I would ramp-up Sally/Helen production, and phase out Light Bombers. They would disappear pretty quickly from the front, except for Training/China, and even then by end of 1942, they would only be used for training. I didn't produce a single one, turning off Sonia production day 1, and just using the stock of Mary/Ann/Sonia you start with.

Now, might have to use them long-term. What do others do with the LB units?

I think I'll probably bite the bullet and convert the Sentais, leaving some units for Training. I'll probably leave the 12-plane Chutais alone, and deploy them to China.

What about production?

--The ANN appears to be the best bomber, actually; heaviest bombload, best range.
--But you can't build it, so do you keep Sonia in production?

I still don't see building the IDA, or using it for other than training.

What is everyone doing with the Light Bomber units?
Commander Stormwolf

RE: Japanese Aircraft Production: New Realities on Light Bombers

Post by Commander Stormwolf »

use the light bmbr units for ASW training

btw, japanese aircraft production is totally wrong.. needs to be based on aluminum for AC, and steel for ships/tanks

right now developing a mod where you use a spreadsheet based on the AC weight
"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf
John 3rd

Post by John 3rd »

THAT sounds complicated.

Noticed the same thing regarding bombers. SUCKS. Does make you really think though about your PP options.

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.
Commander Stormwolf

okay let's play along a bit more..

better to save the HI points and use the "half price" light bmbrs for training

use up the starting engine pools

hitachi(early) for ida
ha-5 for topsy
ha-31 is okay for sonia,
but better to use for your ha-31 for dinah recon planes

use your hikari for B5N1 Kate

let the ki-27 nate factory keep running until you run out of kotobuki,
but convert the kotobuki factory right on dec 7, 1941 to Ha-35

convert all those obsolete engine types to Ha-35 and Ha-32

funny how it is easy to build lots of planes as the japanese, but you have nowhere to put them
so they sit and rot in the pools

that was to answer the question...[:)]

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

HERE BEGINS MY RANT [:)]

the production / research system gives me a big headache
no matter how well you do as japan, you will only have a few units on the map at any one time
and you will be overwhelmed come 1944/1945 no matter what basically

right now i'm playing a scenario 2 game, and it seems like a cartoon next to my mod

in a realistic game, a japanese player should never be asking "where am i going to put all these planes I have"[:-]
or "what ships do you cancel to have HI points for AC?" [:-]

but more like.. "i hope the allies don't cause a blockade and shut down my flow of duralumin for the aviation industry" [:(]

or "wow, i have done so well in 1942.. i managed to stockpile thousands of betties in my rear areas, the USN will have a nasty surprise" [:D]

planes and pilots were precious things for the japanese,
but they could re-size and rename their air units as they please.. after all they are just paper

and by the way,

nates were cheap (that's why they produced lots of them as trainers)

betty's empty weight is 6.7 tons, so they could build 4 zeroes, not 2 zeroes for the price of 1 betty, that's why the build so few of them
(and why they cancelled the G5N Liz, it cost 20.1 tons)

but in this game.. a 1.2 ton A5M claude costs the same as a 4.3 ton J7W shinden,
oh and you can melt down the shinano and use the "steel" to build planes with it [8|]

the 18 generic HI points per engine is totally ridiculous and incorrect

Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Light Bombers fly with full bombload from level 2 airfields. Maybe couple Sonias with Oscars (those with 2 x 250 kg bombs) and fly them from level 2 airfields in China on bombing missions? No need to develop airfields. 
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

I am playing DDC, and not sure if a patch was done or Da Babes is the reason, but you now have to pay PPs to convert IJA Light Bomber units to Medium Bombers. Alot, in fact, 75 for a 12 plane Chutai, and 100 for a 27 plane Sentai.

I'm not complaining about the rule, I like it, probably more realistic. But it does change a bit how you manage aircraft production.

Before this change, I would ramp-up Sally/Helen production, and phase out Light Bombers. They would disappear pretty quickly from the front, except for Training/China, and even then by end of 1942, they would only be used for training. I didn't produce a single one, turning off Sonia production day 1, and just using the stock of Mary/Ann/Sonia you start with.

I think I'll probably bite the bullet and convert the Sentais, leaving some units for Training. I'll probably leave the 12-plane Chutais alone, and deploy them to China.

What about production?

--The ANN appears to be the best bomber, actually; heaviest bombload, best range.

To answer your question Q-Ball, the cost to convert between aircraft types was added with the latest official patch (it was added in one of the beta patches long ago). Not sure exactly how the cost is figured, but if you choose to deviate from the official upgrade line, there is a PP cost based on the number of engines and/or aircraft type.

As you have seen, to change your Sonias to Sallys (for example) you pay a PP cost based on aircraft type IIRC. While if you change from Oscars to Nicks, it is based on the number of engines (I think).

As to what you should build...hard to say. In the end you might be best off to leave the Sonia and Ida in production. While both are hopelessly outclassed, you are already producing them so you don't spend HI and supply converting factories. The Ida does have a camera, which makes it slightly better as a recon plane (and you can use it as a light bomber of course). I still try to convert over as many of the light bombers to mediums as practical, as they are just enough better to make it worth the cost.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Commander Stormwolf

Ida has an empty weight of 1.3 tons

when you understand that a small 9 cylinder radial is a lot cheaper to build than a 14 cylinder or 18 cylinder engine, you see
that the production system is wrong

http://lemairesoft.sytes.net:1945/weben ... html#18168

they build Idas, claudes, and nates throughout the war because they were cheap

they didn't build a lot of 2E and 4E because they were expensive
Captain Cruft

Post by Captain Cruft »

You can also pay PP to convert the light bombers to fighter bombers.
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Same penalty for the Allies. Single engine to two, or two engine to four costs. Actually a good change as the temptation was to create as many 4E air units as you could. Now it cost PPs. Not too many but enough when you consider that in late 44 I still have many units that need to be bought out and have no PPs in my pools to speak of. So converting aircraft is a low priority for me.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Mike Solli

Post by Mike Solli »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

What about production?

Hi Q-Ball. I've been thinking about this recently. Early in the game, PPs are at a premium. I can't afford any to convert any units from 1E to 2E. I've been making due with what I have in the pools. Idas and Sonias go to training and Ann and Mary for China and as ASW for the 3 & 5 Air Divisions. I'm getting to a point where my pools are dwindling though. Here's my potential solution:

The Mary uses the Kawasaki (early) engine. There's no need for it for anything else worthwhile and there are 85 in the pool. I'm toying with the idea of producing 85 Marys, for use in China until I can afford the PPs to change the units to 2E. The 3 and 5 Air Division 1 E units will use the Ann and Mary as ASW. The Mary's 5 hex range would be fine. I rarely use ASW over 2 hex range (range 4 for the Mary). I can use up some obsolete engines and have an effective airframe built for half cost.
Created by the amazing Dixie
Lcp Purcell

Post by Lcp Purcell »

I am doing my first run through in this incarnation of the game and I am finding the Sonias to be worthless with their 4x50kg bombs. I do have one squadron of 27 Ki-30 Ann's on ASW work, at least their single 250kg bomb can drive Allied subs back to the shipyards for repairs. The Sonias only upset the hull painters. plus the better range of the Ann, helps a lot. The main problem with the Ann is that would be one more engine factory which can't build something more useful.

Did you notice it is a lot cheaper to pull heavy bombers out of a restricted command then it is to convert lights to heavies.
Commander Stormwolf

use the sonias for ASW training

then convert them to something else one they are trained
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: Lcp Purcell

I am doing my first run through in this incarnation of the game and I am finding the Sonias to be worthless with their 4x50kg bombs. I do have one squadron of 27 Ki-30 Ann's on ASW work, at least their single 250kg bomb can drive Allied subs back to the shipyards for repairs. The Sonias only upset the hull painters. plus the better range of the Ann, helps a lot. The main problem with the Ann is that would be one more engine factory which can't build something more useful.

Did you notice it is a lot cheaper to pull heavy bombers out of a restricted command then it is to convert lights to heavies.

While the Sonias don't do much damage, they still spot the sub and harass it so it will be less effective at putting torpedoes into your ships. I'll grant you, the Ann is better, but the main purpose of ASW is to locate the sub and raise its DL. Any damage inflicted is just icing on the cake.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

The Mary uses the Kawasaki (early) engine. There's no need for it for anything else worthwhile and there are 85 in the pool. I'm toying with the idea of producing 85 Marys, for use in China until I can afford the PPs to change the units to 2E. The 3 and 5 Air Division 1 E units will use the Ann and Mary as ASW. The Mary's 5 hex range would be fine. I rarely use ASW over 2 hex range (range 4 for the Mary). I can use up some obsolete engines and have an effective airframe built for half cost.
I have the same thought Mike.
Pax
Kitakami

Post by Kitakami »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

ORIGINAL: Mike Solli

I have the same thought Mike.

+1

And in Reluctant Admiral (my current game) you have enough engine production at start to dedicate one of the smaller engine factories to build the Kawasaki (early). Not the perfect solution, but probably the most viable PP-wise.
Tenno Heika Banzai!
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

I'm surprised how much I see peeps using short ranged LBA as an ASW platform. I use anything short ranged on low sea search 1 to 2 thousand feet and the KI-48's on ASW to cover more area.

My light bombers are all in the rear with the gear on training or used in locations where I'm 100% certain allied fighters won't show up. Because their bomb load is light and they drop like flies the pay off is not worth the pain of helping allied fighter jocks gain points.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”