Comparison - Mohawk v Oscar/Zeke

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

LoBaron

RE: Comparison - Mohawk v Oscar/Zeke

Post by LoBaron »

ORIGINAL: mdiehl
True, information is lost over time.

Well, yes, but information is also gained, in a sense, over time, at least in the short run.

Consider Samuel Eliot Morrison's stuff. Most of it was researched from 1944 through 1950 by a huge staff. In the interim between the research/publication of the volumes, alot of new primary source material has been uncovered. So, while the information was always there (and potentially slowly being lost), it was never available in any form in the west until much more recently.

Your habit of quoting part of another persons post, removing the originator from the quote, and then repeating the rest of the post as if you would present new
information is one of the reasons I dislike you mdiehl.

You sometimes have really interesting contributions to a topic, but you sadly ruin the value of those contributions by such a behaviour.
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

Your habit of quoting part of another persons post, removing the originator from the quote, and then repeating the rest of the post as if you would present new information is one of the reasons I dislike you mdiehl.

I was not aware that I had done anything like that, even once. If you have a recent example, please PM it to me. It does not seem to me that I did anything like that in this thread. But it is possible that I overlooked something. Thanks in advance. -- mdiehl
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

[:D][:D][:D]

Are you fucking serious, mdiehl? [:D][:D]
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

Are you ****ing serious, mdiehl?

Is this a rhetorical question?
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

This forum has an easy to track structure.

You can chose to reply to a specific post by hitting the reply button on that specific post. In the bottom right corner you then see the
original poster in parenthesis, for example "(in reply to mdiehl)".

You can also chose "quote" instead of "reply", in this case the advantage is that it is visible from whose post you are quoting.
For example:

The above makes it easier to track discussions and follow a line of argumentation.

Now, if you do the exact opposite, so chose a random(?) reply button, copy/paste a small snippet of another post which exactly suits
your own line of argumentation, but only if taken out of context, and then leave no reference to the originator of that snippet, this
is what I call manipulation. And selling others knowledge as your own. Both which I don´t like. It is that simple.

You do this too often and are around here for too long that I can be convinced you just do that because you don´t know better.
Anyways, I hope this answered your question.

mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

This forum has an easy to track structure.

You can chose to reply to a specific post by hitting the reply button on that specific post. In the bottom right corner you then see the
original poster in parenthesis, for example "(in reply to mdiehl)".

You can also chose "quote" instead of "reply", in this case the advantage is that it is visible from whose post you are quoting.
For example:

The above makes it easier to track discussions and follow a line of argumentation.

Now, if you do the exact opposite, so chose a random(?) reply button, copy/paste a small snippet of another post which exactly suits
your own line of argumentation, but only if taken out of context, and then leave no reference to the originator of that snippet, this
is what I call manipulation. And selling others knowledge as your own. Both which I don´t like. It is that simple.

You do this too often and are around here for too long that I can be convinced you just do that because you don´t know better.
Anyways, I hope this answered your question.

Huh. I never tried to use that feature before. Thanks for the tutorial.
The problem is that I still do not know what you are referring to.
You do this

"This" what?

Here's what I see. You made a post, beginning with "Some information is lost, true." I read your post, thought it was a good comment, and added to it by way of showing anyone, not specifically YOU, that there was yet more to consider. I don't recall you saying a word about "undiscovered sources that turn up years after the initial histories are written," which was my point.

Did you think I was trying to correct you or something? I wasn't. I was just adding to the general thrust of the observation that you made.

Like I said, if I overlooked something, feel free to PM me. On the whole I'd rather we continue the discussion we were having, rather than continue one about my conversational style.

LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

In this case I retract my comment and apologise.

It did indeed look as you were trying to contradict a purposely chosen part of my post,
I might have overreacted.

But please note that your response and quote stile, as I tried to explain above, increases
chances for such misunderstandings. Maybe changing it a bit helps to avoid them in the future.
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

In this case I retract my comment and apologise.

It did indeed look as you were trying to contradict a purposely chosen part of my post,
I might have overreacted.

But please note that your response and quote stile, as I tried to explain above, increases
chances for such misunderstandings. Maybe changing it a bit helps to avoid them in the future.

I'll do my best. No need to apologize at all. Telling me what got under your skin beats letting me tick you off, especially when I don't mean to. We'll both have less to stress over.

Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Know this, Diehl. You're being watched. You've been lying and trolling for 10 years now, and your time in this place is drawing to a close. Your mission is not a secret to anybody who's paying the slightest bit of attention and it. will. fail.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

The toe of death is hanging above you on just a horse's hair, mdiehl! [:D]
Without any doubt: I am the spawn of evil - and the Bavarian Beer Monster (BBM)!

There's only one bad word and that's taxes. If any other word is good enough for sailors; it's good enough for you. - Ron Swanson
AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

mdiehl, you've been on this forum as long as I've been visiting. But something was said the other day that stuns, dismays and appalled me. Do I understand correctly that you've never played this game? Indeed , that you've never even bought it? If this is true, (an belive me I hope that it's not) how on earth can you justify arguing with, demeaning and insulting those who have? Those people PAID for their privilege to post here. Yet apparently you've stolen yours. You are like the kid who sneaks into the back of the theatre then bitches to management about the show. Please refute this . And tell us that you did pay for it.And play it. [:(]
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

ORIGINAL: AW1Steve

mdiehl, you've been on this forum as long as I've been visiting. But something was said the other day that stuns, dismays and appalled me. Do I understand correctly that you've never played this game?

You understand INCORRECTLY. Thanks for asking. Everything else in your screed is utterly incorrect.

Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

Diehl knows full well how to use the forum software's quoting and reply to features as well.
Historiker

Post by Historiker »

mdiehl, you've been on this forum as long as I've been visiting. But something was said the other day that stuns, dismays and appalled me. Do I understand correctly that you've never played this game?

You understand INCORRECTLY. Thanks for asking. Everything else in your screed is utterly incorrect.
you didn't!
You said yourself, that you supposedly played it at a friends's for a few minutes. You never owned it, you never played it.

Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

correct Historiker. In his own words:
I've not tried to play it save for some introductory messing around with it on the computer of a friend who bought it when it first came out. The basic problems are so legion that at some level even the hideous level of axis fanboy fantasy fetishism evident in the product really doesn't matter. At the root level, who the hell wants to play a game where you have to tell every damb electronic pilot how high to fly his aircraft and the time scale is 1 day = 1 day? It's not what I think of as "fun."

believe at your own peril.
Terminus

Post by Terminus »

Your fancy dissembling footwork won't save you any more, Diehl. You're finished here.
We are all dreams of the Giant Space Butterfly.
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

mdiehl, you've been on this forum as long as I've been visiting. But something was said the other day that stuns, dismays and appalled me. Do I understand correctly that you've never played this game? Indeed , that you've never even bought it? If this is true, (an belive me I hope that it's not) how on earth can you justify arguing with, demeaning and insulting those who have? Those people PAID for their privilege to post here. Yet apparently you've stolen yours. You are like the kid who sneaks into the back of the theatre then bitches to management about the show. Please refute this . And tell us that you did pay for it.And play it. [:(]

A friend who lived in Tucson bought WitP. I was, up until that point, intensively familiar with the game engines on which WitP is based. To wit. Gary Grigsby's Pacific War (GGPW), and Uncommon Valor (UV) (in terms of the basic results in A2A and ship vs ship combat results) both of which I owned, legally, the former as a purchase, the latter as a gift. My friend, who worked then for Raytheon and now works for GE, wanted me to examine the game on his computer on his legally purchased copy to see if I wanted to play it. I tried it out for a couple weeks to evaluate it. I came to the conclusion that it is SUBSTANTIALLY THE SAME AS GGPW and UV. Therefore I declined to purchase it. I do not have a copy on any computer that I own. I don't use it.

I would appreciate it if you would not level accusations of theft at me. That's a new conversational low around here, in my experience.

As to the rest. Yeah, well, OK, errrrm.... Have A Nice Day!

AW1Steve

Post by AW1Steve »

A friend who lived in Tucson bought WitP. I was, up until that point, intensively familiar with the game engines on which WitP is based. To wit. Gary Grigsby's Pacific War (GGPW), and Uncommon Valor (UV) (in terms of the basic results in A2A and ship vs ship combat results) both of which I owned, legally, the former as a purchase, the latter as a gift. My friend, who worked then for Raytheon and now works for GE, wanted me to examine the game on his computer on his legally purchased copy to see if I wanted to play it. I tried it out for a couple weeks to evaluate it. I came to the conclusion that it is SUBSTANTIALLY THE SAME AS GGPW and UV. Therefore I declined to purchase it. I do not have a copy on any computer that I own. I don't use it.

I would appreciate it if you would not level accusations of theft at me. That's a new conversational low around here, in my experience.

As to the rest. Yeah, well, OK, errrrm.... Have A Nice Day!

I won't accuse you of theft. But what ever "brilliant" arguments you make , some of us will balance them against what we suspect of your character. But I'll admit freely that I'm more than a little disappointed in you. I'm sure your not the only one one who "takes a free ride". But you surely must be amongst those who've gotten the most milage. [:-]
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

I won't accuse you of theft. But what ever "brilliant" arguments you make , some of us will balance them against what we suspect of your character. But I'll admit freely that I'm more than a little disappointed in you. I'm sure your not the only one one who "takes a free ride". But you surely must be amongst those who've gotten the most milage. [:-]

You just have a Great Day there wherever you are! May the beer always be just the way you like it etc etc.

Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

I've heard the whole "I owned UV, tried WitP thing" yet Diehl remains as ignorant of the game mechanics as anyone who's never owned the product through it's life cycle. I'll lump that into the "I was asked to be a tester by Matrix" statement he made a couple weeks ago.

Return to “The War Room”