Waterloo BBC2

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

warspite1

RE: Waterloo BBC2

Post by warspite1 »

Are there any other films about the Napoleonic Wars that anyone knows about (apart from War and Peace)? I don't recall any....[&:]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Wolfe1759

Post by Wolfe1759 »

The Duelists by Ridley Scott (I think it was his first feature film as a director)
"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

The Napoleonic Wars at sea

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: redcoat

The Napoleonic Wars at sea

Warspite1

Ah yes of course, Master and Commander. I should really see that - is it any good?

redcoat

Post by redcoat »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Ah yes of course, Master and Commander. I should really see that - is it any good?

Yes, I think it is worth seeing IMHO. It has a good performance from Russell and a period atmosphere.

“‘Who controls the past,’ ran the Party slogan, ‘controls the future: who controls the present controls the past.’”

George Orwell, 1984
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Yes, I think it is worth seeing IMHO. It has a good performance from Russell and a period atmosphere.

Warspite1

Thanks redcoat, I will keep a look out for that.

decaro

Post by decaro »

There, McCauley joins the British Army and enlists in the Guards. When Napoleon escapes from Elba, McCauley demands to sail to the continent to stop the Little Corporal in his tracks. He tells Wellington that a place called Waterloo would make an ideal defensive position ...

Then Wellington loses because the actual battle site was St. Jean, which Wellington's engineers had previously determined to be a good site for a defensive action.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Joe D.

There, McCauley joins the British Army and enlists in the Guards. When Napoleon escapes from Elba, McCauley demands to sail to the continent to stop the Little Corporal in his tracks. He tells Wellington that a place called Waterloo would make an ideal defensive position ...

Then Wellington loses because the actual battle site was St. Jean, which Wellington's engineers had previously determined to be a good site for a defensive action.
Warspite1

Please see post 16 - and it was Mont St Jean. I did not use it in the original because it would not mean a lot to some people, whereas Waterloo - for obvious reasons - does.

british exil

Post by british exil »

Bernhard Cornwell wrote the "Richard Sharpe" series, which was later filmed with Sean Bean as Sharpe. I enjoyed the books but have no idea if the films or series was any good. The series did not run here on the Prussian telly, methinks Rafe had his hand in it again.

Master and Commander was a film I really enjoyed, in fact I may just have to buy it to be able to watch it from time to time.

Look at this link, (NO I AM NOT A SPAMBOT) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:N ... Wars_films . Did not recognize most films, maybe I am just too young.

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

ORIGINAL: british exil

Bernhard Cornwell wrote the "Richard Sharpe" series, which was later filmed with Sean Bean as Sharpe. I enjoyed the books but have no idea if the films or series was any good. The series did not run here on the Prussian telly, methinks Rafe had his hand in it again.

I must have watched the whole series of Sharpe about half a dozen times so far. It's on British telly on a regular basis and people keep on watching it.

As well as Sharpe there is also the TV series Hornblower.

George Orwell, 1984
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: british exil

I must have watched the whole series of Sharpe about half a dozen times so far. It's on British telly on a regular basis and people keep on watching it.

As well as Sharpe there is also the TV series Hornblower.
Warspite1

You've gotta love the uniforms during the Napoleonic age [:)]

andym

Post by andym »

The TV series Hornblower is excellent,shame it had such a short run.Sharpe has yet to be surpassed.The historical accuracy was well done despite you never seeing more than 200 fighting at once LOL.Just wait till you meet up with Obadiah Hawkswell!
Press to Test...............Release to Detonate!
british exil

Post by british exil »

So you all agree it is worth buying the blu ray or dvd of Sharpes tales?

Mat
"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
redcoat

Post by redcoat »

I think it would be worthwhile you getting the DVD/blu ray ... since you like the books and can't get it on the telly.

George Orwell, 1984
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

What I want to know is who Warspite knows that is in high enough position in Hollywood to be able to get his hands on the script for the remake of Waterloo. [:-]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
british exil

Post by british exil »

A very good and interesting question. The world wonders.

Mat

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS
decaro

Post by decaro »

Please see post 16 - and it was Mont St Jean. I did not use it in the original because it would not mean a lot to some people, whereas Waterloo - for obvious reasons - does.

Waterloo meant a lot to ABBA [;)]
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

Joe, that's a really good point. [:D]
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

Sean Bean in a war picture. Surely his character gets killed at some point, right? [:D]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: ilovestrategy

What I want to know is who Warspite knows that is in high enough position in Hollywood to be able to get his hands on the script for the remake of Waterloo. [:-]
Warspite1

Good question ILS. As you may recall, if you followed the Australian Beauties thread, I got the chance to spend a lot of time with Salma Hayek during the competition - and after when we holidayed in Mautitius. Ms Hayek has already auditioned for the part of Mad Princess Lotte of Leipzig - with whom Rafe McCauley embarked upon a torrid love affair in the weeks leading up to Borodino. Salma gave me a preview of the screenplay and I helped her rehearse the love scenes - which was nice....[8D]

Return to “General Discussion”