CVE and VRF

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DOCUP

CVE and VRF

Post by DOCUP »

I have a CVE with VRF squadrons on board. Both squadrons have 24 planes in each. This makes the CVE maxed out. Do I resize them on the carrier or fly them off and resize?

Thanks
Barb

RE: CVE and VRF

Post by Barb »

VR squadrons are replacement squadrons - they are not ment to fly from carriers.
But if you have your normal carriers squadrons in range and set to take replacements, they will be drawn from these VR squadrons.
kevin_hx

Post by kevin_hx »

IN RANGE?
Not in the SAME hex?
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

In Range.

They can fly planes off when overstacked with two full squadrons but can't land planes so they can't perform "normal" flight ops.
Hans

GreyJoy

Post by GreyJoy »

I find that the utility of the VRF squadrons (and of the replacement CVEs) dipends a lot on the strategic situation you're facing.
If the KB is still intact, a carrier clash becomes a one-shot-fight...so you don't really need replacements...
I used to use some VRF squadrons just for training pourpose, and some more for active LBA groups (it's usefull to support the USAAF with some navy planes that have, especialluy after 1943, some very good replacements rates)
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Early in the game I use them for training squadrons like Greyjoy. However later on when you have massed carriers in sustained operations-especially suporting an invasion then they they are very valuable. The other benefit is that if you have massive air battles (and are not sunk) then you can resupply AA ammo from AEs that are in replishment TFs This is big as a big air fight will eat up AA ammo and this is something the Japanese player can't do.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
DOCUP

Post by DOCUP »

Thanks guys for the advise and answering my question. 
aphrochine

Post by aphrochine »

Strategic situation is everything on how to use VR CVEs. Although I feel 1 or 2 squadrons of Fighter, DB or TB should be dedicated to training at all times until you have literally hundreds of trained reserves. Use the CVEs for those squadrons for ferrying army squadrons or helping the USMC pilots find more excitement than their land legs will normally allow.

As said above, if you're expecting a big battle you need as many flight decks as you can get. Resize or reconfig them to be operation and have them tail your main battle fleet.

If the big battle is over (...and hopefully the good guys won!!) then you need replacements to keep your mobile airfields operational. In this phase, you'll receive plenty of operational CVEs to provide static air support for landings, so the VR CVEs should function in their prescribed role.

...but I'll stress the need for training. I try to keep 3x VRF, 1xDB & 2xTB squadrons on active training. Much of the time, these squadrons are providing Primary Skill training to the endless waves of 50Exp/50Skill pilots you receive from reinforcements. You could remove the DB squadron from the training routine as from '43 and beyond you have plenty of VB and converted FP->SBD (PDU OFF) squadrons for the USN to train dive bomber pilots.
VMF-422 fanboy
Grog Virgin fanboy
pmattiasn

Post by pmattiasn »

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Early in the game I use them for training squadrons like Greyjoy. However later on when you have massed carriers in sustained operations-especially suporting an invasion then they they are very valuable. The other benefit is that if you have massive air battles (and are not sunk) then you can resupply AA ammo from AEs that are in replishment TFs This is big as a big air fight will eat up AA ammo and this is something the Japanese player can't do.

Hi, at what date are the allied AEs enabled for mid-ocean replenishment? I seem to remember it was some time in ´44 but just realised I can't remember what the exact date is...

Sorry for hijack but it's at least partly on topic!

/M
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: PMN

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Hi, at what date are the allied AEs enabled for mid-ocean replenishment? I seem to remember it was some time in ´44 but just realised I can't remember what the exact date is...

Sorry for hijack but it's at least partly on topic!

/M

In 1945, no earlier. And only from AE, not from AKE.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Cavalry Corp

Post by Cavalry Corp »

I think its 45?
pmattiasn

Post by pmattiasn »

Thanks! My memory was completely off then...
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Yeah, me too. I thought it was mid 44 but a quick check shows it is 45.

BTW. VR squadrons seem to send replacement to carriers in range even when stationed at a land base. This is nice to know.

One serious problem is that even carriers that are too damaged for operations will take replacements from your replenishment squadrons. I found this out the hard way as my crippled carriers sucked up all my VR replacements as they passed in range of the VRs. Make sure to turn off replacements for the squadrons that are left on your cripples.....

I will admit that unlike original WITP this feature works very well in AE and it is well worth it for the Allied player to take advantage of it.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”