Subjective races review (in progress)

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

Beag

RE: Subjective races review (in progress)

Post by Beag »

Only problem with the space monkeys is the low reproduction rate. They are pretty good indeed.
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Ok, I'm back here and thinking to continue. A question before I start: should I post in the top article, in separate posts or both? And what kind of formatting should I use to improve the readability of the text here?
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

Yay.

I think the current formatting works. Keep the top post big, and make a new post as you update it.
Harrs

Post by Harrs »

Nice Post..

I like this idea:
Gareth: For instance, having the researched weapon, shield and armor techs reflect themselves on ground troop strength. Or having fighters count as ground troops as long there is at least one unit down on the planet, and no enemy ships in space.
A carrier with a lots of fighter and bombarding ships could have the option support invasion!! That would be nice and realistic..
Make this game harder!
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Gareth_Bryne

A question I also have is how a multiple sided ground combat is resolved? How the fight goes, who gets the planet (it seems who landed the largest force), so on, so forth.

iirc, it's who has the largest number of troops on the planet when the defenders are finished (not strength, just how many) that determines the new owner. All troops belonging to anyone else switch allegiance to the (most numerous) victor.

How combat is resolved, I'm not sure. I think all troops are lined up - attackers v. defender, regardless of owner. Attackers never seem to attack each other (no 5-way mosh-pit).
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

Nice post. I have not noticed it earlier (shame on me for not reading the forum at all times).

I think it would be nice if ships above have some significant impact on ground battles. That way attacking fleets should stay in orbit and defect defenders. And ninja attacks (that players love) would be far less effective.
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Guys, another update. The Ikkuro are so powerful, they don't need weapons[:D]...
"Only an idiot fights a war on two fronts. Only the heir to the throne of the Kingdom of Idiots would fight a war on twelve fronts," - Londo Mollari
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I am pretty sure that the AI designs (other empires) lack weapons too under the policy bug. When I had it only bases packed a serious punch, and the capitals, and maybe cruisers had some ion weapons.
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

You know, I failed to notice that. Since I changed the W7 setting responsible, maybe I should replay the game. I also added a couple of things to opinions, as afterthoughts.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

You do whatever you want, of course, but it makes the game very strange. My quick game (all AI) was invasion mania when the AI battled AI... Maybe it would be even with guns, though...

Wildlife is also lethal, since they can't kill it, and just throws ships at them to die. And carriers rule supreme (they work).
RaffleSnaffle

Post by RaffleSnaffle »

Bingeling, if you have time you MUST do another AAR. PLEASE!!

This is my request and I was actually going to make a request thread about it. Your first AAR was the first one I ever read and I loved it. The Atuuk AAR you mention was also so very awesome.

PLEASE PLEASE do another! Request from a big fan [:)]
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Alright, a replay using Ikkuro has ended in 2780. The game was much more lively, with Silvermist and S**** putting in an appearance. The storyline was run through, the DZ was cleared personally by the D, and with WoA and the 3 drugs it was quite easy, a war with the Dhayut being a minor distraction. The next race will be the Ketarov, I'll be focusing heavily on intelligence missions. And please, post a bit closer to the threads' topic))
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Ok, here goes a report on Ketarov. A flavourful race, unfortunately flawed by the AI.
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Alright, people, here's the next installment. I would really like some feedback and shared opinions. I know that people read this thread. But comments may make it ... seem... more alive.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I can always comment. I am not sure what is new, and you play the game in a way I don't. I don't play a lot, but my DW Ackie game was peaceful, uneventful, and led to victory.

As for the last comment, I would love a simple option. "Play with wonders". They suck. I think quite a few of the characters also land in the category "not making the game better". Mostly economy boosting figures. In general, quite a few bonuses in the form of special colonies or wonders are too large when the human can grab hold of them, but quite suitable for an AI empire. The main problem is probably that the game is too easy. Hoping for Shadows...
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

Sometimes the game plays itself)). You never know who your neighbours will be, for instance, in my current Quameno game I'm in a bloody war with Gizureans right off the start...

Yes, I think that the wonders are too dull and out of balance. Indeed, Bakuras is the only one remotely useful, and it happens to stand in a cheatz position.
Bingeling

Post by Bingeling »

I think the wonders are all nice (far too nice in my empire). Spreading those hefty development bonuses on the best colonies tends to make the economy rather relaxed.

If an empire pulls into the lead, it is likely to get a host of "second tier" wonders, pulling even more ahead. Good if it is the AI, not so good if it is the human.
Arcatus

Post by Arcatus »

This thread is gold. I hope the devs are aware of it.

Wonders; I am a collector. I will likely go to war to gain control of wonders, so for me it's a source of conflict.

However, The wonders-mechanic in DW "suffer" from the same syndrome as in many other games (civilization etc).

If a race get a technological advantage it is going to get to the (good) wonders first, and thus increasing the advantage -
It is very hard for another race to catch up, and it is likely that they will even waste resources attempting to construct wonders the leading race started sooner.

Nerfing wonders is probably a good idea. (or even better - make em moddable [:D])
And, in 1.7.0.16 the ship graveyards have been seriously dumbed down, which makes the gameplay less fun, especially when you can just turn them off. What I propose is to make them all, including Devast**** and random ship events, broken and in need of (prolonged) reconstruction, but not toothless.

You sure about this? When I think about it it's been a while since I found those awesome titan-beam cruisers, but the ships I do find are definitely not toothless.

And there isn't anything about nerfing derelict ships in the patch notes.[&:]
Gareth_Bryne

Post by Gareth_Bryne »

re "dumbed down":

You know, I should retract that statement. I think now what happened there is this: the game sets up ship groups to be potentially assigned as pirates, then someone finds the base through a mission BEFORE they spawn, and that leaves them in a different place for the first finder to get. Then again, I found Cruisers with basic armament. Summing up - it all happened in the beginning of games and then not often enough for me to say the above. Nevertheless, it DID happen and I noticed.

Arcatus, thanks!
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

problems and solutions - best weapon against Silvermist - carriers, not ion cruisers; rail guns = fail in the state that they are now, in the first two playthroughs my fleets were PT from extreme range; Atuuk limited science goal is next to impossible to achieve, even though I tried role-playing.

Opinions - either railguns or engines require a boost, you need a combination of both to use rail guns effectively.

Opinions - ports should be allowed to be taken apart by construction ships for resources and research, or be mothballed. Maybe world destroyers too)))

And again, a planet can have an ion cannon as a building, why can't it have a fighter base and a torpedo launch system?

Good points Gareth!

You can have a base with fighters as armament... but yes, a CHEAP ground fighter base makes HUGE sense. I think that would be the defense of most planets. Most planets probably would not have a heavily armed station in orbit. They might have a couple of orbitting kill-sats
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Return to “The War Room”