Latest Scenario End Date?

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

dwg

Latest Scenario End Date?

Post by dwg »

I'm looking at a AH/scenario concept ('Orient Express') in which the Allied offensive is significantly delayed by a need for an even greater concentration on the European theatre than historically due to a Russian collapse during the Battle for Moscow and in which the Manhattan Project produces a series of fizzles. Obviously this means Downfall will be considerably delayed. I know the game will play into '46 if the scenario is set up for it, but how much later will it play if needed?

I've been through the manual, but the only mentions of later dates I can find relate to how the game handles 'natural' game ends in '46, not to how late a scenario can be set to run. I can set later start dates easily enough to find if a game will run at a later date, but that doesn't guarantee that there aren't built-in end-conditions a game running day by day might trip. Anyone know if there's anything might catch me out?

I can work around it by offsetting dates if necessary (and live with things like director and AA improvements being hard-coded by date), but I'd prefer not to.
JWE

RE: Latest Scenario End Date?

Post by JWE »

LOL .. "How much later will it play if needed?" That's always the question, isn't it.

As Brother Buck Beach says, "Welcome to our Wonderful World". [8D]

[ed] Joshing aside the code has certain things happen in '44 and other things happen in '45. Absolutely nothing happens after that. The game can go as long as you like, but the algorithm for many things will be predicated on a 1944 baseline. As it was in the beginning, is now and ever shall be, world without end, amen, amen.
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

I think he wants to know the latest date which can be entered in the scenario editor.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
JWE

Post by JWE »

ORIGINAL: JeffK
I think he wants to know the latest date which can be entered in the scenario editor.
As I said;
"The game can go as long as you like,"

But I must get somewhat technical, you can't do anything after 1999, because there will be a serious Y2K issue because of a divide by less than zero thing.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

I've safely set one up to go to the end of 1947. And that is far more than is needed TBH, most games won't last that long anyway. [;)]

It's not so much a matter of 'is it possible', rather it is a question of 'is it plausible?' [:)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: JWE
As I said;
"The game can go as long as you like,"

But I must get somewhat technical, you can't do anything after 1999, because there will be a serious Y2K issue because of a divide by less than zero thing.

Great, I thought it had a max of 1947 or similar.

What Matrix didnt get the game Y2K fixed!!
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

I'll bet not on the list for the devs and the fact that the date logic is prolly deeply imbeded into the code. Y2K alone might have taken a month of development for what gain? As JWE states, the game is "pinned" against a 1944 date. Starting much earlier than 12/41 or goiing much later tahn 6/46 and too many assumptions will fall apart.

Ex: if the game seriously went into '47, the allies would be flying almost exclusively jets. I suspect the game air model struggles with the speed difference between Oscars and F-80's. In current scenarios these match ups would be rare. Go into late 46, the allies would be fielding +150/mo jets and it would become pretty common.
Pax
dwg

Post by dwg »

Not quite - it's easy enough to check if you can enter a scenario end date of, say, 6 June 47. It's much more difficult to determine if there is some buried piece of code that means the game will stop dead on, say, 13 Nov 46 just as you're setting up to execute the offensive you've spent several hundred turns preparing - which might be a tad irritating.

The manual doesn't seem to tell me that, but we have a few people here anointed with the secret knowledge of the WITP code base.
dwg

Post by dwg »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo
Starting much earlier than 12/41 or goiing much later tahn 6/46 and too many assumptions will fall apart.

Oh I agree, but if you're willing to work within those limitations then you can still find something to entertain you.
Ex: if the game seriously went into '47, the allies would be flying almost exclusively jets.

Actually it's not that extreme, yes a lot of jets will be in service, but the bottom line is a lot of those don't have spectacularly better performance than the last generation piston designs, while many of those same last generation piston aircraft didn't reach production status until the last months of the war, or even later: P-82, F8B, Skypirate, Destroyer, Mixmaster, B-35, Sea Fury, Wyvern, Brigand, Firebrand, Firecrest, MB-5, CA-15, Spearfish, Lincoln, Hornet and so on. It's not a short list and part of the point is to explore how things change if you have large carrier battles involving late war rather than early war airgroups. For a historical precedent, look at what went into action over Korea, particularly in the opening phases where USAF was dragging the bottom of the barrel trying to find piston fighters to deploy for CAS in preference to jets.
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

I agree, late war fighters are not likely to be an issue. It's when late war fighters go up against early war aircraft in a kami mode. I'm not sure how well the air combat model holds together. But, good luck testing. post results here. [8D]
Pax
dwg

Post by dwg »

>> It's when late war fighters go up against early war aircraft in a kami mode. I'm not sure how well the air combat model holds together. <<

Good thought, having had a carrier group swarmed by kamikazes playing stock Downfall it should be interesting ;)
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

I'll bet not on the list for the devs and the fact that the date logic is prolly deeply imbeded into the code. Y2K alone might have taken a month of development for what gain? As JWE states, the game is "pinned" against a 1944 date. Starting much earlier than 12/41 or goiing much later tahn 6/46 and too many assumptions will fall apart.

Ex: if the game seriously went into '47, the allies would be flying almost exclusively jets. I suspect the game air model struggles with the speed difference between Oscars and F-80's. In current scenarios these match ups would be rare. Go into late 46, the allies would be fielding +150/mo jets and it would become pretty common.
I dont recall buying this before 2000?

Matrix is selling games with oldddddd engines, never!
inqistor

Post by inqistor »

ORIGINAL: dwg

I'm looking at a AH/scenario concept ('Orient Express') in which the Allied offensive is significantly delayed by a need for an even greater concentration on the European theatre than historically due to a Russian collapse during the Battle for Moscow and in which the Manhattan Project produces a series of fizzles. Obviously this means Downfall will be considerably delayed. I know the game will play into '46 if the scenario is set up for it, but how much later will it play if needed?

I've been through the manual, but the only mentions of later dates I can find relate to how the game handles 'natural' game ends in '46, not to how late a scenario can be set to run. I can set later start dates easily enough to find if a game will run at a later date, but that doesn't guarantee that there aren't built-in end-conditions a game running day by day might trip. Anyone know if there's anything might catch me out?

I can work around it by offsetting dates if necessary (and live with things like director and AA improvements being hard-coded by date), but I'd prefer not to.

The only problem is pilot pool, because there are fields only up to IIRC 1948, for pilot replacements (but maybe there is workaround, during working with EXCEL files). You can always drop so much pilots in earlier years, that later 0 will have no influence (except for Japanese economy).
Commander Stormwolf

Post by Commander Stormwolf »

how about a Korean war / French Indo China / Malaya 1946-1953 mod
"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”