Local Hawaii freighter not in game

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Buck Beach

Local Hawaii freighter not in game

Post by Buck Beach »

Hey can't include them all but I found this video interesting anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxCwpcg-56Y

Buck

I found her in and out of Oahu a couple of times in Dec 1941.
geofflambert

RE: Local Hawaii freighter not in game

Post by geofflambert »

Awesome, I'd have never thought of driving cattle into the sea and then tying their heads to a longboat to get them to the steamer. I wish I was as good at something as those guys on the horses. I expect there were a lot of ships that weren't pressed into military service, especially when they had a specific purpose like that. I think I saw a reference to that same ship doing the same thing in '40.

Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

I also read where that freighter was a part of a big labor dispute on the big island in 1938 where several people were hurt. Called it Bloody something
dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

Did you notice that some of the sailors onboard had "do" rags on their heads? or is that "dew"? I don't know. But it sure predates those that I've seen in the last few years. BTW, how did that name come about? Do or Dew??? or Deph or something?
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Did you notice that some of the sailors onboard had "do" rags on their heads? or is that "dew"? I don't know. But it sure predates those that I've seen in the last few years. BTW, how did that name come about? Do or Dew??? or Deph or something?

geez Dr. Hal, did you get lost on the way to the (correct) forum? None of us old A-***** know anything about that.

dr.hal

Post by dr.hal »

ORIGINAL: geofflambert
ORIGINAL: dr.hal

geez Dr. Hal, did you get lost on the way to the (correct) forum? None of us old A-***** know anything about that.
Well I THOUGHT this was the forum for Monopoly, but I guess not... But I did see some interesting garb on the sailors!
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

A little rough on the poor cattle on their way to the slaughter. I thought that a large, floating platform would've been better to get the cattle to the ship in fewer trips. I wonder if they ever had any visits from sharks between the shore and the ship. It must've happened as it was like ringing the dinner bell.
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

Contrary to what many might think, cattle are good swimmers. Never figured it out myself how (big bodies, short skinny legs, ...etc.), but they are. Maybe they can 'bloat' themselves. Anyway, the technique was commonly used all along the Gulf coast in the 1800's and in west OZ during the same period and later.
Pax
rockmedic109

Post by rockmedic109 »

I was out fishing at a local lake and heard cowbells. I didn't see any cows because I was looking up on the hillsides. Then I saw them. THey were CROSSING the lake. Then I wondered what would happen if a boater decided to go through that area.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”