All things Football (soccer) related

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

wodin

RE: European Championships

Post by wodin »

I desperately wanted Croatia to win. I feel the deserved it.

Warspite I'm surprised you never mentioned the amazing footage of Mr Ardellies I put up from his Spurs days. The football was sublime and I reckon that team would win the League if around today.
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

ORIGINAL: warspite1
To be fair how do you judge what is "standard" and what is "exceptional"? You seem to base that on the country not the team.

Not the country [?] and team [the Mongols also have a national team but I doubt they got too far]: the exceptional players [;)] Almost every coach (except perhaps the extravagant primadonnas) will tell you that it's all you really need to win... No rocket science. You still can lose, right, but that is a big advantage.

As regards Italy '82, I remember perfectly a guy called Rossi. They had exceptional players. Same thing with the Germans in 1990: Mattaus, Klinsmann, Voller...

Are you sure the English side in 1966 didn't have exceptional players (er... Robert Charlton)? [;)]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
wodin

Post by wodin »

England should have won Italia '90. Oh and Euro '96. Last time we where any good.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

England should have won Italia '90. Oh and Euro '96. Last time we where any good.
Warspite1

I think Italia 90 is a stretch - we were so so in getting out of the group, VERY, VERY lucky to beat Belgium (remember the first half?) VERY lucky to beat Cameroon (that Mr Lineaker's got big Cajones) and unlucky to lose to Germany (what a freak goal...).

In Euro 96 the game against Holland was the bestest ever. The Gazza goal against Scotland was the bestest ever. We were LUCKY against Spain, and soooo unlucky against Germany - the Gascoigne gnats whisker and Anderton striking the post in extra time - but .......
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: wodin

I desperately wanted Croatia to win. I feel the deserved it.

Warspite I'm surprised you never mentioned the amazing footage of Mr Ardellies I put up from his Spurs days. The football was sublime and I reckon that team would win the League if around today.
Warspite1

Yeah good to see - even if Mr Villa's that you posted were even better. Mickey Hazard said the other day that we should have won the league but let's face it, we weren't exactly close were we?

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: TulliusDetritus

To be fair how do you judge what is "standard" and what is "exceptional"? You seem to base that on the country not the team.

Not the country [?] and team [the Mongols also have a national team but I doubt they got too far]: the exceptional players [;)] Almost every coach (except perhaps the extravagant primadonnas) will tell you that it's all you really need to win... No rocket science. You still can lose, right, but that is a big advantage.

As regards Italy '82, I remember perfectly a guy called Rossi. They had exceptional players. Same thing with the Germans in 1990: Mattaus, Klinsmann, Voller...

Are you sure the English side in 1966 didn't have exceptional players (er... Robert Charlton)? [;)]
Warspite1

Re point in bold - I don't ever seem to make myself understood with you for some reason do I?.....[8|]

As for the rest, depends on what is your definition of exceptional. Sorry, but you discounted Denmark as "standard" but they had the Laudrups, Vilfort, Larsen and another person you may have heard of...Schmeichel.

You discounted the Czechs but they had Panenka, Nehoda and Masny.

Orm

Post by Orm »

Please remember folks to give your quarter final predictions before the kick-off of the first match on Thursday.
What are we predicting? Result after 90 min? After extra time? After penalties?
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I was going to keep it the same 1 point for correct result and 1 extra for score. The guess would be the score (including extra time) or you can say "after penalties". What do you think?

Orm

Post by Orm »

I was going to keep it the same 1 point for correct result and 1 extra for score. The guess would be the score (including extra time) or you can say "after penalties". What do you think?
I think after extra time but before penalties.

If we decide on after penalties then there can be no draw result.
Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett
Orm

Post by Orm »

So how is England this fine evening?
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Orm

So how is England this fine evening?
Warspite1

We are our usual....#%^* [:-][:@][&:][:(][8|]

Walloc

Post by Walloc »

Nice goal, Zlatan.....
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Good man [:)]

Walloc

Post by Walloc »

Warsprite, how is the british faring(playing wise, I know the score)? the usual underpreforming selfs?

Watching the France Sweden game and well i know they are through, but 2nd in group gota play Spain. I would go for a win and the french have been "playing" disappointingly to say the least.

Rasmus
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Ukraine score!

TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

As for the rest, depends on what is your definition of exceptional. Sorry, but you discounted Denmark as "standard" but they had the Laudrups, Vilfort, Larsen and another person you may have heard of...Schmeichel.

You discounted the Czechs but they had Panenka, Nehoda and Masny.

You got excited a little bit as regards Denmark methinks [:D] The only exceptional players I see on that list are Laudrup and Schmeichel... Larsen? Before that Euro Cup he played in Italian Serie B and after that beautiful victory he played in Bundesliga Second Division apparently... That Danish squad had therefore two exceptional players surrounded by standard AND mediocre players... That makes them sort of underdog on my book.

Re Messi as this is the perfect example. The last WC. The guy was surrounded by some standard and a lot of mediocre players! Don Quixote vs the Windmills comes to mind!

As for the Czechs, my bad, I was convinced they had won on the 90s. And obviously no exceptional Czech generation at that time [;)]

Perhaps that's the big difference between the Greatest (Brazil, Germany and Italy) and the rest. They almost always manage to produce minimum a team with standard players. When you add to this an exceptional player (and this is pure luck as no factory can produce talent) that makes them almost unstoppable. It's not only the WCs they have won... It's the finals and semi-finals... Regularity that is.

Whilst the other teams produce [perhaps] one (or two if you're lucky) exceptional players + some standard players + mediocre players...

But in the end the best players must play. Always [8D]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Walloc

Warsprite, how is the british faring(playing wise, I know the score)? the usual underpreforming selfs?

Watching the France Sweden game and well i know they are through, but 2nd in group gota play Spain. I would go for a win and the french have been "playing" disappointingly to say the least.

Rasmus
Warspite1

See post 632

Walloc

Post by Walloc »

Gotcha
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »