hovering over the buy button

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies and ship designs with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

endoric_MatrixForum

hovering over the buy button

Post by endoric_MatrixForum »

ok so i am a big fan of galactic civilizations, Galactic Civilizations II, Master of Orion and Master of Orion II, the total war series, the civilization series and many other games of that genre.

I am however not a fan of RTS games, i played them all when i was younger and some more recent additions - command and conquer, dune, total annihilation, supreme commander. They had their moments but RTS can occasionally just become too stressful lol.

so in a search for a Galactic civilizations 2 replacement (great game but when will part 3 come out damit?) i came across distant worlds. I also came across Star ruler and tried the demo but it didn't strike home with me, however i will try star ruler some more later to see if I will warm up to it.

So given that how does Distant worlds compare? I love the idea but the RTS aspect turns me off. Should i jump in or maybe just keep waiting for that 4x space opera to be born that we have all been waiting for?

thanks.
Data

RE: hovering over the buy button

Post by Data »

Hi endoric and welcome to the community.
I come from the same background as you and we'd have to wait for a long time for that 4x space opera. So GC 3 is still not out? Damn shame.

In the meantime you can completly trust DW, it's the most TBSish RTS out there [:)]
You can pause it at any time and give any command while paused, you can also adjust the speed as you like...this is one if it's great features that for me makes it the true MOO3. And it's a hard thing to beat MOO2 in my personal top 4x games but this one is the new gem for sure.
...Igniting stellar cores....Recharging reactors...Recalibrating hyperdrives....
endoric_MatrixForum

ok but if you had any other profile pick than data with a beard i would never have trusted you.

i suppose i was just looking for an excuse and - tag your it!
onomastikon

Post by onomastikon »

I agree with Data that this is the most TBSish RTS I've had to date. With that said, I feel that DW does have some issues that keep it from being compelling after a playthrough or two, but hopefully those could be addressed in patches. I wouldn't say "nothing serious", but I would say that nothing that would require a serious overhaul, such as an additional expansion.
endoric_MatrixForum

ok so i am playing the game a bit, i like it but sometimes it annoys the heck out of me, i hope its the learning curve.
Branoic

Post by Branoic »

I'm just getting in to DW myself and am the exact same as you - in fact I could have written your exact post! I think it's great but if you're still looking for that turn based 4X - take a look at Endless Space on Steam. It's in Beta at the moment so you can get it for a reduced price, but it's incredibly stable and full-featured, and is very very MOO2-like.
endoric_MatrixForum

i was reading about that... reduced price you say.. MOO2 you say. ok but beta... so hmmm tempting. i will continue with distant worlds for a bit more. I have had bad experiences with buying my way into a beta game. Making history 2 for one.... no good. real shame great potential
unclean

Post by unclean »

ORIGINAL: endoric
ok so i am playing the game a bit, i like it but sometimes it annoys the heck out of me, i hope its the learning curve.
For me it was the the interface, if you don't really have it down it makes the game pretty irritating.

The learning curve isn't really that bad, big thing is probably just getting the feel of how the private economy works and how much military to build. The game isn't as daunting as it looks when you really get into it.

One thing that helps a lot is setting the planet amount to small for a large galaxy size, or tiny for a medium galaxy, it makes things a hell of a lot easier to manage and doesn't really change the feel of the game.

Another thing is going for lots of smaller fleets instead of the death blobs you'd make in other 4x games, you really need them for defense and doing smaller missions. I mean you need some large fleets if you're at war, but if that's all you have they're constantly going to be out of fuel from running all over the galaxy, and not really going to get much done.

Return to “The War Room”