Airline Empire AAR

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

2ndACR

RE: Airline Empire AAR

Post by 2ndACR »

Dixie, check in with dealings with TAP in Portugal and Luxi in Belgium.......TAP has requested membership and Luxi is a potential recruit. We are trying to find you some quality partners to conquer Europe with and also some nearby backup if needed.
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Guys,

Just a general question. Would you say that your experience as dedicated wargamers gives you an advantage in Airline Empires?

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

Yes......Well, at least when I played I could stare at a screen for hours plotting and counterplotting my moves. Comes from playing Campaign for North Africa and the Europa series...Patience was and is a virtue in those games
My life is complete. 1000 Matrix posts.....
Chijohnaok2

Post by Chijohnaok2 »

ORIGINAL: shunwick

Guys,

Just a general question. Would you say that your experience as dedicated wargamers gives you an advantage in Airline Empires?

Best wishes,
Steve

As for me, the answer would be a resounding "Yes".

Our alliance in this game is unique as we assist each other, we circle the wagons when an alliance member is attacked by someone and we coordinate our retaliation against them. When we see weakness in another airline we will often coordinate strikes against them so as to take over their routes and weaken them or knock them out of the game altogether. When one player sees an opportunity that they cannot personally exploit, they will often times make another alliance member aware of it, so that they, and the alliance benefits, rather than someone else. To a certain extent, this has generated a level of respect (or fear) to where some airlines will avoid tangling with us so as not to incur our collective wrath.

2ndACR can speak better to this as he has communications with some long time AE game players and they have taken notice of us.

Nearly all other alliance are just a way to gain a bonus in the game, but no other alliance (I am told) works together like ours does.

Our war gaming background has instilled things like coordination, planning, strategizing, intelligence gathering, and (for some of us) patience, when appropriate.

Our core alliance member approach his game differently from most AE players.
THe result speak for themselves.

In most of the game worlds we participate in, we dominate.
There are multiple game worlds where we have 2-4 alliance members in the top 10 player rankings; often more than any other alliance. This despite those other alliance having 2-3 times as many members.
Our alliance is normally ranked in the top 2 or 3 for alliances in each game world.

I only became aware of, and started playing this game in February 2012.
Most of our core alliance members have only started playing this year as well.
We compete against players who have been playing this for several years.

Feel free to drop by and chat about whatever is on your mind.
Dixie

Post by Dixie »

ORIGINAL: chijohnaok
ORIGINAL: shunwick

Guys,

Best wishes,
Steve

As for me, the answer would be a resounding "Yes".

Our alliance in this game is unique as we assist each other, we circle the wagons when an alliance member is attacked by someone and we coordinate our retaliation against them. When we see weakness in another airline we will often coordinate strikes against them so as to take over their routes and weaken them or knock them out of the game altogether. When one player sees an opportunity that they cannot personally exploit, they will often times make another alliance member aware of it, so that they, and the alliance benefits, rather than someone else. To a certain extent, this has generated a level of respect (or fear) to where some airlines will avoid tangling with us so as not to incur our collective wrath.

2ndACR can speak better to this as he has communications with some long time AE game players and they have taken notice of us.

Nearly all other alliance are just a way to gain a bonus in the game, but no other alliance (I am told) works together like ours does.

Our war gaming background has instilled things like coordination, planning, strategizing, intelligence gathering, and (for some of us) patience, when appropriate.

Our core alliance member approach his game differently from most AE players.
THe result speak for themselves.

In most of the game worlds we participate in, we dominate.
There are multiple game worlds where we have 2-4 alliance members in the top 10 player rankings; often more than any other alliance. This despite those other alliance having 2-3 times as many members.
Our alliance is normally ranked in the top 2 or 3 for alliances in each game world.

I only became aware of, and started playing this game in February 2012.
Most of our core alliance members have only started playing this year as well.
We compete against players who have been playing this for several years.

We've got four members in the top 10 in one world, compared to the size of the alliance this is probably a greater percentage of members than any other grouping.

I ran into a problem with another airline attempting to cut in on my routes, with help from the other guys (scouting out his routes, attacking his routes I couldn't and also letting others know when decent planes were available in the used market) the other guy went from top 50 to non-entity in less than a year. Even though I was isolated by being the only member in Europe the direct and indirect assistance from the alliance helped push me from around 30th to 4th position.

The other alliances are just a bunch of players doing their own thing under one banner, think of the Axis powers in WW2, an alliance in name only.
We'll share routes and info. If there are a bunch of almost new planes on the market that one of us doesn't use then that info gets shared so someone from the alliance can use those planes and get stronger.
[center]Image

Bigger boys stole my sig
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

I would say we maybe have more practice at comparing statistics between units, after a long time spent comparing ratings in wargames. Maybe we have more practice also at picking strategies that take a while to come to fruition rather than wanting immediate success.

As far as alliances go, I find it best to ruthlessly exploit the other airlines, then lie about my self-sacrificing behaviour. Obviously things are going well.
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

Anyone doing the special world without leasing?
Chijohnaok2

Post by Chijohnaok2 »

I considered it, and the concept intrigues me. But I have too many airlines, in too many worlds, and not enough time to manage what I already have.

SO I think I will have to take a pass.

Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

It's difficult.....I'll say that much
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Yes, Airline Empires is a lot like war gaming. You have to plan, you can over extend and get crushed.

When we first arrived on scene, Speedy tangled with a old timer, then all the old timers started checking us out, we always have a group online at the same time, in basically a month real time, we had 3-4 airlines in the top 20 ranks in our world. I had to point out to them that overall, the game was not that hard. For us, who play mega war games, it is quite easy. Over time, we have been accepted and other alliances are actually trying to adjust to our play style. As stated, some players actively avoid us at all costs. Others tempt fate.

Some old time players I have contact with, actively work with us in game even though in another alliance just so we don't go out of our way to hurt them too. We call these working agreements. We try to work with them and such and they do so with us. We send them war alerts as a heads up we are on the hunt and they might get hit and to roll with the punches instead of trying to fight back against us.

We are the only alliance that works as a true alliance. As stated above, we are the elite. We are ranked number 1 in 2 worlds, both of these worlds, I have not entered in months.......We are ALWAYS in top 2-3 spots in alliance rankings even with 4-5 members. We have some growing pains at times, we are now admitting non-Matrix members and it is taking some work. Overall, most have worked out very well. One former member from 1 world is a major pain in our butt in another, we extended the hand and he looked at it, that hand is now slapping him across the face every chance we get.
Phatguy

Post by Phatguy »

But it is very easy to burn out....I know. I took a looooong sabbatical for real world medical reasons and now am rearing to get back into it when 02 reboots.....

In 02 I gave up worrying about it and a few months later im still ranked 12th..It was too much off a hassle trying to reorganize everything.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

deleted comms
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Guys,

Thanks for all the responses. I must admit that I have always been intrigued by this thread and will continue to do so.

Best wishes,
Steve
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...
Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

In reply to the new special world S2:

It's really slow paced. The need to get enough money to buy makes expansion very difficult. I have one airline making 0.45m a month, needing 18m to buy a new plane. At the same time some airlines are doing much better; having regular internet access would help.

One strategy that looks doable would be to leave the most expensive aircraft possible, order a prop plane or two, then when the first prop plane arrives sell the expensive jet and order more prop planes. I haven't tried this but have seen at least one player who has done this.

I would recommend joining as large as alliance as possible in S2 purely for the ratings bonus. There is no real competition because competition would destroy all involved.
2ndACR

Post by 2ndACR »

Heads UP........O2 is in restart and MB Global is now active.......Mitch Air and Seibenbergen are active in the US at start.
Chijohnaok2

Post by Chijohnaok2 »

Orbit Airlines:

This little upstart has decided that he wants to spam every route that I am on out of LGB and ONT

He is flying 727-200s.

I sent him one note informing him that if he wants competition, he shall get it. I told him that I would run every route he has spammed me, into the red just to take his market share. And that I would hunt down every other route he may be on, and do the same.

I ended the note by including a famous quote from Bomber Harris:

"They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind"

He promptly replied:

Sender: Orbit Airlines
Subject: Re: LGB & ONT
Date: 2012-06-17 12:26:13

I would only offer that if he happens to jump anyone else's route, to show him no mercy.

Mobeer

Post by Mobeer »

R2 has 10 767-200 in used pool
I will resist
Chijohnaok2

Post by Chijohnaok2 »

ORIGINAL: Mobeer

R2 has 10 767-200 in used pool
I will resist

I couldn't, and they are now mine; along with 5 brand new 747-300s

Speedysteve

Post by Speedysteve »

ORIGINAL: chijohnaok

Orbit Airlines:

This little upstart has decided that he wants to spam every route that I am on out of LGB and ONT

He is flying 727-200s.

I sent him one note informing him that if he wants competition, he shall get it. I told him that I would run every route he has spammed me, into the red just to take his market share. And that I would hunt down every other route he may be on, and do the same.

I ended the note by including a famous quote from Bomber Harris:

"They that sow the wind, shall reap the whirlwind"

He promptly replied:

Sender: Orbit Airlines
Subject: Re: LGB & ONT
Date: 2012-06-17 12:26:13

I would only offer that if he happens to jump anyone else's route, to show him no mercy.

If it's the same Orbit leading in R5 it's not surprising. He's always spammed routes regardless of who you are. I learnt not to even bother talking to him anymore but just to treat him as an enemy straight up.

R5 - not too much to say on my world as 'trapped' in Turkey and just refreshing my constantly ageing fleet now. Settled for 3rd in the game.
WitE 2 Tester
WitE Tester
BTR/BoB Tester
Anonymous

[Deleted]

Post by Anonymous »

[Deleted by Admins]

Return to “General Discussion”