Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

zenryl

RE: Downloads Are Really Terrible For Game

Post by zenryl »

ORIGINAL: mbar

ORIGINAL: zenryl
How so? I don't have a download link in my profile, I can only access the last patch and my keys. I do agree with the OP, the download system is just awful, why can't we simply download the game at all time like in Gamers Gate?

Login to "Members" then select "My Orders" on the right hand panel. You will be able to download the full game from there.

I still have at least 5 games that never made it on that list and were purchased well after Plimus took over.

I have only one of the extension listed there. If I contact the support they can add the rest?
mbar

Post by mbar »

ORIGINAL: zenryl

I have only one of the extension listed there. If I contact the support they can add the rest?

Yeah I'd send an email to Matrix support or contact Erik Rutins. They'll get you setup.
zenryl

Post by zenryl »

ORIGINAL: mbar

Yeah I'd send an email to Matrix support or contact Erik Rutins. They'll get you setup.
Thank you :)
puke

Post by puke »

I had a great experience with the download system when I first purcahsed Distant Worlds, and I have to say that Plimus gave me great support when I first bought a game (their only one...) from Data Realms a long long time ago.

But I have to echo that the Distant Worlds download isn't available on the Members Club downloads section -- only the expansions. When I look at my Registered Products, it says that there are No Downloads Available for Distant Worlds.

My order predates Plimus, and Digital River was unfortuneatly not helpful. I've gotten in touch with Matrix Support just now, and I expect to report that they're totally awesome in all ways and that the issue was easily resolved -- but it sure would be nice if that download was up in the Members Club, would prevent these sorts of things from coming up in the first place.

I'm really keen to buy the two expansions, but it sort of hinges on being able to get my original game working again. Speaking of which, does anyone know if there is a bundle discount for the expansions? I know there was when Legends first came out, but maybe that offer expired? There seems to be a 20% discount on them when you buy the original game, but I already have the original game. If not, no big deal. But it would be nice, you know?
malkuth74

Post by malkuth74 »

I will send you an email erick.. But I have to stress what others have stressed in this game.. Distant worlds The Original Game is not available to me in my Download section.. All I have available for my games is the Patches for The expansions.. I will send email with a picture of what my download section looks like.. And an copy of my emails from the episode.

Thanks for the help.
malkuth74

Post by malkuth74 »

Email sent, with title of this topic in subject.. And all relevant emails, account info and pictures and well everything.

Thanks.

Let me also stress again the downloads in the Members area are patches only they are not the full game. Now on my downloads page I don't have distant worlds available at all... I have the files now.. So distant worlds is 597 megs. Return is 99 megs and Legends is 117 megs. These are the files I finally got after all this...

The only downloads available to me on my download pages for the games are the Updates to Distant worlds Legends and Return... Thats all I can download.. Not the full games.. The downloads on those pages are patches and are only 13 Megs... Not the full on expansions that I needed..
puke

Post by puke »

ORIGINAL: puke
My order predates Plimus, and Digital River was unfortuneatly not helpful. I've gotten in touch with Matrix Support just now, and I expect to report that they're totally awesome in all ways and that the issue was easily resolved

So as expected, Matrix support was totally awesome and sent me a working download link after only a single message. Which is infinitly better than no link after about five messages with Digital River. I should have contacted Matrix first!
malkuth74

Post by malkuth74 »

I must say thank you to Eric and Christian for helping me out on this. Have had the situation explained to me and also the situation is totally solved now.

Basically Digital River is old system... You have to contact Matrix support and they will get you download ASAP.

Plimus is the new system and you have to get the downloads from them..

I still think you should rethink how the downloads are available.. But at this point problem solved.. Still think best idea is to keep a backup somewhere of your files.
Warspite3

Post by Warspite3 »

ORIGINAL: malkuth74

Sorry but I love this game and all, but the system you guys use for downloading your games are totally terrible. I don't understand why its so difficult to re-download your games after either a hardrive failure, or new system or really anything.

The links only last a few days and when you try to Download the games again you have to contact support for help. Well the problem with this is that Distant world now has 3 different downloads! Send my email off with all the proof that I purchased all three products. Get one email back that has new download for Legends... Send off another email saying I need the download for The BASE GAME and shakturi. Get another email back with just shakturi.

Still no base game. Send another email off saying I need the base game! Still after almost 5 days of getting my email off I still can't play this game again.

I don't understand why its so difficult.. If I buy a download game Like on Steam, Gamersgate, or any other didgital download area I can get my game anytime..

But this system is terrible. I sorry, 80 Dollars in games and I have to jump through hoops to get the game. Backups? Sure I do it all the time.. Then when I try to use the DVD it never works. Don't know why, but thats what happens.

The system needs to be changed and be more friendly.. Right now its not anything but a headache for the customer.

At this point I think Im getting the run around on the base game since I bought it before you guys went to this new system. Doesn't matter that I purchased the extended download protection when I bought the original game it seems with the old system.

Grrrrr.

Glad you got your download problems solved. Why are you not able to get your DVD backups to work? What I do is I keep all my Matrix games on a seperate internal HD. I run two HD in my comp. Another thing you can do for convenience is get you a good flash drive (or two), maybe like a 16GB (under $10 now) as most Matrix games are not too large in space then just back them up right on your flash. [:)] Got to love flash storage, best storage technology for backup to come in a long time, why not take advantage of it? There are also some really nice external drives out now that are physically tiny but huge in storage space, plug into a usb, backup files and done.
-Warspite3-
ilovestrategy

Post by ilovestrategy »

I am in total agreement with this. I was fortunate in that I burnt a copy to a blank DVD when I first bought the game because I was having the same problems as the OP.

I do not have this problem with Steam. All I have to do is go to my library and hit install. No looking for serial numbers. And why do I need the last 4 numbers of my credit card for a game I bought over a year ago?
After 16 years, Civ II still has me in it's clutches LOL!!!
Now CIV IV has me in it's evil clutches!

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”