Extended and iterative map creation

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario design, art and sound modding and the game editor for WITP Admiral's Edition.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

topeverest

Extended and iterative map creation

Post by topeverest »

I am trying to learn how to build terrain changes into the map with the idea of eventually creating a series of maps with gradually increasing road and rail structures. To this end, I am looking to gather all the necessary information prior to starting. I have jumped to Bowens and dabigbabes sites and read the extended map tutorial.
1. If I download this, will the changes occur in every new and existing scenario / games underway, or only the ones I point the map to, and if so how do I do that.
2. what is the minimum patch I need to run to do this
3. what are the instructions for actually changing terrain / adding subtracting roads, trails, rails, etc
4. if I want to replace a map and iterate a new one while a PBEM game is underway, what would the process be. Is it automated / preloaded, or manual

Any help would be appreciated.
Andy M
witpqs

RE: Extended and iterative map creation

Post by witpqs »

To the best of my understanding, when you run the program it loads the "computer" map files at that time. That is the set of 3 pwhex files. They are in the main AE folder and you should have no trouble locating them, since you already looked at those web sites and (I presume) have the latest pwhex editor. You want the latest one because it handles the optional stacking levels.

The "people" map files are the graphics panels that are in the graphics folder (I forget the exact name of the folder). They are also loaded when you run the program.

So, if you get to turn 137 and put new map files in the folders, AE will pick them up when you start it. And your save game will pick them up.

JWE

Post by JWE »

I will have to answer this sequentially. Witpqs has the system down pat. There is a skoosh of detail hiding in the margins, however.

First, don’t get hung up on terminology. It doesn’t matter if it’s a “patch” or a “beta”. What matters is what file (or files) the thing is modifying. Michael’s “betas” are typically modifications to the “exe” file. Official “patches” from Matrix overwrite “EVERY SINGLE SOLITARY LITTLE THING”. So have an awareness of what needs to be in your mod, so that you can reproduce it in the event of an Official Patch.

Here’s how the program flow works:

When you launch the game, it invokes Mr Exe. Mr Exe can be anything that has the proper title and can range from 1108r9, to 0007r1, to 1999r9. It doesn’t matter. Mr Exe is the God of the Machine, and you may use any God you wish (except if you are playing a human opponent. They must be non-denominational and worship identically the same God).

Next; Mr Exe wakes up and loads a bunch of files into memory, in order to prepare the game environment for a subsequent savegame or scenario selection. These files are all the many and various artwork bmp files (ships, planes, maps, fires, bears, oh my) as well as the ancillary map data files (pwhexe.dat, pwzone.dat, and pwzlink.dat).

So it’s not about Mr Exe. Any Mr Exe will do. And Michael’s betas are all concerned with Mr Exe, so let’s call Mr Exe, Level-1, and the stuff that Mr Exe looks for and loads into game space, as Level-2. Everything else, EVERY single solitary scen mod is Level-3. Level-3 has Jack to do with anything. Level-3 is nothing but DATA. After Mr Exe launches and eats its necessary files, it’s ready to digest “Scenario Data”, which is Level-3.

M’kay? J
JWE

Post by JWE »

Right then. So what Mr Exe does, when the game is launched, is load up all the level-2 files, in order to create the game environment. So all the Ship, Plane, Map, Screen, Candy, Art is loaded into the environment by the time the main screen shows up. Long before one gets to selecting a scenario or a savegame.

So, those level-2 files can be modified at your pleasure and the modifications will port into the game anytime you launch it. Since you are creating a new game environment, you have to relaunch Mr Exe so he can gather up the new stuff, but that’s about it. Any Mr Exe can do it, doesn’t matter what his revision number is.

Level-2 files are non-denominational. One player can have a completely different set from another player and nothing at all will happen. With one caveat – the Map Data files. Everything else can be tweaked to one’s heart’s content.

Map Data files (pwhexe.dat, pwzlnk.dat, pwzone.dat) might be thought of as level-2.5 files because they are not as restricted as scenario files, but are incorporated into a savegame file so tweaking them will cause an alert when you open a savegame “data has changed, do you want to continue?”. If you click yes, the new values get used, whether you are playing a restricted stock scenario, or Babes, or anything. Thus, you can build roads and bridges, and change movement rates on a monthly basis, or anytime you please. Just be sure your PBEM opponent swaps in the identical file set on the same game turn as you.

Next is level-3.
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

Thanks for the help. Been a busy work cycle. I need more help on the PWHEX editor piece. Turns out I didnt find the software that allows me to modify hexes, or if I have it I dont know that I do. I believe this is the missing link that gets me to the finish line.

Please advise.
Andy M
dwbradley

Post by dwbradley »

ORIGINAL: topeverest

Thanks for the help. Been a busy work cycle. I need more help on the PWHEX editor piece. Turns out I didnt find the software that allows me to modify hexes, or if I have it I dont know that I do. I believe this is the missing link that gets me to the finish line.

Please advise.

Check the below linked thread for the link to the latest release of the editor. Questions here or via PM are welcome.

tm.asp?m=3072537&mpage=1&key=&#3072579

Dave Bradley
dwg

Post by dwg »

I'll try coming at it from a slightly different angle to JWE.

BMP files - visual map, no relevance to how the game plays, need a graphic editor (eg MS Paint) to change.
PWHex files - hex data, very relevant to how the game plays, need the PWHex editor to change

The game will automatically use whatever files are in place each time you start it (so these changes will affect every scenario until you swap a new set in - note that small map scenarios are not entirely compatible with the extended map, some cities change locations), and as JWE says the game will flag to the player if the PWHex files have changed from a previous saved game.

There's no automatic update mechanism, so if you want evolving road nets/rail nets/whatever, you'll need a set of PWHex files for each change in the map, and you'll have to swap them into place immediately before the relevant turn.
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

Well talk about your Borked game, I totally borked my existing set up and thought what the hell time for a new beginning.

Did a reinstall of my disk and let it set up a brand new Matrix folder. Decided that the old was to cluttered with mods from around the world and was making things much to complicated.

Sooo, here I was with new game and was updated to the latest official upgrade automatically (which was very cool). So far so good. Now I went to DaBabes site for my preferred cup of tea (or poison, and after a couple of tweaks/correction got the Biggie up and running. At this point I am so very proud of myself I figure I'll go down the street to the liquor store for a couple of brewskis. But first, lets get the old Extended Map with Stacking limits going (which is what I was doing when I borked the last setup.

Well "here I sit all broken hearted when I paid a nickle to s--t and only farted" and without that beer, having spent the last couple of hours trying to get those extended map bases at the top of the map to load right.

Swapped in and out of the Pwhex files a couple of times and still no soap.

Any suggestions before I change my plans to Beefeater and say the hell with it.

Buck
Buck Beach

Post by Buck Beach »

Well I'll be dipped in Bandini. Shutdown, went and got those brews and when I came back and loaded up (the program not me), all was copacetic. Go figure.

Buck
topeverest

Post by topeverest »

OK

Taking the plunge. Seems about as straightforward as a $16 bill having not been a party to any development, so it will be par for a UAT course. I am going to have to play around in a test copy of the game and see things change. I dont yet understand how the editors interact yet and what gets done in what place. That will be step one. If there are any tips out there, I'd like to avoid any minefileds I dont have to experience.

Thanks again all...
Andy M
dwg

Post by dwg »

If there are any tips out there, I'd like to avoid any minefileds I dont have to experience.

Step by step and save and backup often. When you make a change, particularly one you aren't sure you understand, save the scenario off and give it a try to see if it does what you expect. If it doesn't, then it's going to be much harder to track down what's wrong if you've made dozens of changes since you last checked the scenario works.
dwbradley

Post by dwbradley »

ORIGINAL: dwg

If there are any tips out there, I'd like to avoid any minefileds I dont have to experience.

Step by step and save and backup often. When you make a change, particularly one you aren't sure you understand, save the scenario off and give it a try to see if it does what you expect. If it doesn't, then it's going to be much harder to track down what's wrong if you've made dozens of changes since you last checked the scenario works.

Good advice from dwg.

I would say first make sure the mechanics of the process seem to be working for you. After installing a sandbox/test environment, make some simple change, oh say, change the terrain of an ocean hex to desert. Then verify that you can see the change in the game. Hurray! it works!

Where you go from that point is really all about what you are trying to accomplish. That is, what change(s) in the way the game plays out are you attempting to achieve? It can help if you write down your goals/plans as a starting point and as a way of making them clearer to yourself and others.

I can help you with specific questions about the mechanics of the map data files and others here will surely help with the other aspects of any changes you might try.

Dave Bradley

Return to “Scenario Design and Modding”