Turn lenght

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

adsoul64

Turn lenght

Post by adsoul64 »

On the average how long it takes to set orders for every turn? I have the feeling I'm especially slow because I spend several hours (4-5) for every turn and I don't mean first few turns, but average turns from January 42 on. I'm interested in community opinion, about GC only, please. Thx
Dan Nichols

RE: Turn lenght

Post by Dan Nichols »

About an hour to do Allies in May 1942. I think somewhat longer in a couple of years.
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Couple of hours in 44 but I am not the best organized person so I know I could cut the time.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
Knyvet

Post by Knyvet »

Between two and three hours - one significant factor is whether you take the time to watch all the combat animations and if you do, whether you click the upper right button to continue/speed up as you watch them.
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

Playing as the Japanese:

Turn 1: 2-3 WEEKS

Turn 2: 6-8 hours

Turns 3-10: 5-6 hours

Thereafter: It depends on what is happening, but a reasonable average would be 3-5 hours.
Olorin

Post by Olorin »

Seeing your averages, I think I am somewhat fast.

Japanese opening takes me 3-5 days.
First few months of the war: 2-3 hours.
Rest of the war, when everything is streamlined: less than an hour.
Personal record is 25' in a very quiet turn.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

Not counting watching the previous turn, about 20-30 minutes.
The Moose
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

I try to keep it under 20 minutes. 30 max. To move the game along. WitP and AE in particular can allow several hours+ per turn such is the detail level.....but even using multi day turns this can lead to a game forever to get into the later stages. If i miss something when i set myself time limits, i chaulk it up to the FOW and red Tape element. Combined with luck it can still lead to interesting developments.

case in point....my current opponent recently marshalled the bulk of IJN power to invade an undeveloped piece of land called Milne Bay, occupied by a company of Aussies. I took enough time to send some subs and aircraft on attack but still kept my planning to around 20 min. Despite this, one sub got not one but TWO shots at a IJN CV but alas missed. Several B-17 attacks also created tense moments but no joy. So my opponent now owns jungle while i continue to plan for the occupation of the Emperor's palace. :)

Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Wow! I don't even get through altering my LBA orders in 20-30 minutes. Come to think of it, I may not even finish my between-turn-bathroom-break in 20-30 minutes!

I just checked a summary of my Meyers Briggs personality profile - INTJ - and found this quote. INTJs "are the supreme strategists - always scanning available ideas and concepts and weighing them against their current strategy, to plan for every conceivable contingency." That's me as I do my turn - trying to imagine every possible move the opponent (to now just the AI) can make, and developing ideas for dealing with all of those possible moves.

I'm guessing the moose might be an ESTP.

From the same website: "Enthusiastic and excitable, ESTPs are "doers" who live in the world of action. Blunt, straight-forward risk-takers, they are willing to plunge right into things and get their hands dirty. They live in the here-and-now, and place little importance on introspection or theory. They look at the facts of a situation, quickly decide what should be done, execute the action, and move on to the next thing. . . ESTPs have a strong flair for drama and style. They're fast-moving, fast-talking people who have an appreciation for the finer things in life. They may be gamblers or spendthrifts. They're usually very good at story telling and improvising. They typically makes things up as they go along, rather than following a plan."

Is that a close approximation Bullwinkle, or is it way off?
JeffroK

Post by JeffroK »

15-20 minutes.

And often run a turn quickly to keep things running.

From memory the real commanders didnt have forever to plan things and micromanage every soldier.

Except Wavell who got to position the AT gun outside his headquarters.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Icedawg

Playing as the Japanese:

Thereafter: It depends on what is happening, but a reasonable average would be 3-5 hours.
Never been quite this fast, but it looks like a good goal for me. [;)]

PS: my last campaign it took me 3 calendar months to setup turn one. Not sure howmany hours that was ... but prolly +40 hours.
Pax
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

It depends on the turn really, sometimes 20-25 minuts (defending as Japan with nothing big going on) and some monster turns 6-8 hours (setting up the resource and fuel system)...

Once you get it organised you can move along quite fast. Just do major reviews of reinforcements every week orso..
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
wege80

Post by wege80 »

Playing as the Japanese:

Quite applys for me too!
Miller

Post by Miller »

Usually between 30-45 mins most turns. If I know it is the last turn I have to play with that day or weekend I will spend extra time doing things like pilot training or logistics.
obvert

Post by obvert »

Depends on what is going on. My fastest including the replay is about 15 minutes! Literally forwarding any and all reckons/air strikes, then just checking through to make sure a few things are going the way I wanted, checking the sigint and op reports, then exiting and saving. That was in mid-42 after most of the fireworks have slowed down and China had become quiet.

I love to spend a LOT of time though, and for some turns will take a few hours if I have the time. If my CVs are out somewhere I will check EVERY air group to make sure it's doing what it's supposed to do.

Early on the turns are longer for Japan. Later from what I've heard, much longer for the Allies. Offense takes more time to get right.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

Thanks everybody. It looks like I could be the slower player around [>:] and I don't even check intel and other stuffs every turn. But what are the first things you use to check out, I mean the ones you regard as unavoidable near every single turn?
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

Wow! I don't even get through altering my LBA orders in 20-30 minutes. Come to think of it, I may not even finish my between-turn-bathroom-break in 20-30 minutes!

I just checked a summary of my Meyers Briggs personality profile - INTJ - and found this quote. INTJs "are the supreme strategists - always scanning available ideas and concepts and weighing them against their current strategy, to plan for every conceivable contingency." That's me as I do my turn - trying to imagine every possible move the opponent (to now just the AI) can make, and developing ideas for dealing with all of those possible moves.

I'm guessing the moose might be an ESTP.

From the same website: "Enthusiastic and excitable, ESTPs are "doers" who live in the world of action. Blunt, straight-forward risk-takers, they are willing to plunge right into things and get their hands dirty. They live in the here-and-now, and place little importance on introspection or theory. They look at the facts of a situation, quickly decide what should be done, execute the action, and move on to the next thing. . . ESTPs have a strong flair for drama and style. They're fast-moving, fast-talking people who have an appreciation for the finer things in life. They may be gamblers or spendthrifts. They're usually very good at story telling and improvising. They typically makes things up as they go along, rather than following a plan."

Is that a close approximation Bullwinkle, or is it way off?

I've taken M-B three times--in grad school, in a job interview, and at a corporate retreat--and I've been an ESTJ every time.

"Practical, realistic, matter-of-fact. Decisive, quickly move to implement decisions. Organize projects and people to get things done, focus on getting results in the most efficient way possible. Take care of routine details. Have a clear set of logical standards, systematically follow them and want others to also. Forceful in implementing their plans."

I am very decisive in my personal life, true, and people who've worked with me would certainly vouch for that last bit, aka " he's an a**hole." [:)]

I'd agree with a lot of what Nik said. Almsot nothing in the game needs to be done every turn. My turns are 20-30 minutes, but every turn is different. You check LBA each turn; I set a good level of Rest, give missions, and check in on the summary sceen every few turns, top-sorting by fatigue and then morale and only fixing what needs fixing. Every game month or so I do a top-down review of target strategy. For evolving campaigns which need to hand-held I do that, but harassment, supply-denial, port damage efforts, etc. the guys in the squadron know what they need to do. I don't have to loom.

I find the ship repair game really fun, so I spend time every turn fiddling there, optimizing and shuffling the queue as needs arise. But if there, as in many places, you aggressively use the sorting funcitons in the interface, you can get in and out of PH's repair plan in sixty seconds a turn or less. Ditto sub warfare, another interest. Three minutes, tops, unless I'm coming off a block upgrade and need to build a lot of zones. Even then though I usually do ten or so a day. It gets tiresome, and even a major fleet base coudln't flush thirty boats in a day.

I spend a decent amount of time on a first turn as the Allies, but there again people reporting they spend eight hours or something is crazy to me. Not everything HAS to be done the first day. It's a long war. I flush the ships out of HK, the DEI, the PI, and set up patrol zones and the like, but if I don't get to re-jiggering Oz port expansions until the end of the first week it's not the end of the world. That's more or less my philosophy on everything--it's a long war. If I was spending four hours a turn I'd stop playing. To me the end is as important or more so than the journey, but I don't collect stamps either. I've known people who can spend hours looking at them through magnifying glasses, marveling at the engraving and noting flaws. That's not me.

Is one or the other "better"? No, but when you're built like me playing fast, aggressively, and keeping goals in front of mind rather than the condition of every pilot in the DEI is the only way to win, and I play to win as quickly as possible and as violently as needed. If I took four hours a turn I'd lose my place in the book, wander off, and be meat on the table for the AI. I sometimes wonder what a PBEM game between me and some of the more introspective types would look like. I'd get creamed on the details for sure. But I might do well on the hey-diddle-diddle-right-up-the-middle parts. Sometimes in war the safest course is the most dangerous course.

Reading the other OT thread on M-B it looks like us E types are thin on the ground in here, let alone ESTJs. Interesting, but probably not surprising given the structure of the game. I would also note that AE gets less than half of my game time. I also play COD and similar high feedback, intense games.
The Moose
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

My turns as the allies can vary. If nothing special is happening I can do it in 20-30 mins. Before a major operation about 1 hour. I´m pretty fast and not too meticulous. Sometimes I pay for that when I forger too stand down airgroups and stuff like that. But atleast the turns keep on going. I think I rather play to turns per day then one...
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: JocMeister

My turns as the allies can vary. If nothing special is happening I can do it in 20-30 mins. Before a major operation about 1 hour. I´m pretty fast and not too meticulous. Sometimes I pay for that when I forger too stand down airgroups and stuff like that. But atleast the turns keep on going. I think I rather play to turns per day then one...

I can do about three before I get too sloppy even for me.
The Moose
adsoul64

Post by adsoul64 »

Thanks everybody and especially the Moose. Alot of good ideas to cut down my gaming time. Now the question is: with the time spared I should come back to RL (you know, family, job, and so on) or starting one more game? [:D]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”