Reloading 16" guns

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Charbroiled

RE: Reloading 16" guns

Post by Charbroiled »

ORIGINAL: Icedawg
ORIGINAL: Charbroiled

I'm still a bit confused about the word "squad" in regards to naval support.

The three units I have at Naha are:

101st USN BF - 200 naval support and 10 Rifle squads (only "squads" in the units).

23rd USN BF - (46) x 54 naval support, 10 rifle squads

2nd Eng Amph Bde - 200 Naval Support....no squads.

Looking through units with naval support, there isn't a strong showing of "squads" in these units. I'm not sure if "squads" is the correct term, even though it is in the manual that way.

Different people seem to call "naval support" different things. "Naval Support Squads", "Naval Support", "Naval Support Elements". So, your first and third units are identical in terms of rearming capabilities.

Then, if "Naval Support" is the same as "Naval support squads", per pg 284 "Each Naval Support Squad = 5 rearm points", I should have 2270 (naval support) + 700 (size six port) = 2970 which is not enough by itself to rearm 16" guns with a rearm cost of 5400. Am I reading that correct? If so, I think I have a grasp on it.

As for the AEs, the manual does say the AE needs to be "at anchor in port". I always thought that meant in a TF, but now I see where I have been misreading it.

edit: I reloaded the turn and disbanded all (4) AEs into port. Click "reload from port" on the TF with all 3 BBs in the TF and they all took 13 shells. 3 of the 4 AEs in port dropped their supply load from 6400 to a little over 5000.
"When I said I would run, I meant 'away' ". - Orange
Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

Yes, the AEs and AKEs must be disbanded at the port, not in a TF. As long as they have supply, they can reload. The size limitation is only on the capacity, not the amount of supply loaded. You do need some, but not a complete load. Having multiple AEs disbanded will allow you to rearm more ships as long as there is a ship they can reload based on capacity. For the USN, the 5400 sized AEs can rearm any ship they have. For Japan, the Lima AKE can rearm all but the Yamato class BBs.

And yes, you are reading it right. At a size 6 port you would need 940 Naval Support Squads to load your BBs.
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled »

ORIGINAL: Dan Nichols

Yes, the AEs and AKEs must be disbanded at the port, not in a TF. As long as they have supply, they can reload. The size limitation is only on the capacity, not the amount of supply loaded. You do need some, but not a complete load. Having multiple AEs disbanded will allow you to rearm more ships as long as there is a ship they can reload based on capacity. For the USN, the 5400 sized AEs can rearm any ship they have. For Japan, the Lima AKE can rearm all but the Yamato class BBs.

Thank you....that is exactly what I confirmed as well.
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

Just checked and all (4) AEs are 6400 capacity and are 100% full of supplies....and are not disbanded in port.

The last part is your problem. The AEs should be disbanded in port.
-- Mark Sieving
Itdepends

Post by Itdepends »

Until you get to some time in 1944 from memory when AE's (not AKE's) can (for the allies) replenish other TF's while at sea (i.e. underway). AE's in a TF count as at sea even if that TF is in port. This also affects air targetting of ships- anything in a TF but in the port will be hit by planes set to naval strike while those disbanded in port need a port strike to hit.
Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled »

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

Until you get to some time in 1944 from memory when AE's (not AKE's) can (for the allies) replenish other TF's while at sea (i.e. underway). AE's in a TF count as at sea even if that TF is in port. This also affects air targetting of ships- anything in a TF but in the port will be hit by planes set to naval strike while those disbanded in port need a port strike to hit.

Apparently, the "rearm at sea" doesn't apply at a port and the AE has to be disbanded.....we are in 9/45.
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

ORIGINAL: Itdepends

Apparently, the "rearm at sea" doesn't apply at a port and the AE has to be disbanded.....we are in 9/45.

IIRC, rearm at sea is only up to 5" shells.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

UniformYankee

Post by UniformYankee »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Shouldn't be .... here are 16" on the high line ...

Attachments
WrangletoSODAK.jpg
WrangletoSODAK.jpg (332.53 KiB) Viewed 77 times
Gridley380

Post by Gridley380 »

ORIGINAL: UniformYankee
ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

Shouldn't be .... here are 16" on the high line ...

I suspect this is just another one for the list of "Things that ought to be in the game for historical accuracy but aren't because they wouldn't take effect until 1944/1945 and only benefit the Allies."
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

Of course an AE can reload ANY ammo if it is within the valid time frame and the capacity of the AE is sufficient to handle the required ammo. Capacity check for rearm at sea is the same check made for port rearming.
Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

Of course an AE can reload ANY ammo if it is within the valid time frame and the capacity of the AE is sufficient to handle the required ammo. Capacity check for rearm at sea is the same check made for port rearming.

Why don't AEs reload at sea when in a port hex? Even at 9/45, the AEs need to be disbanded into the port to rearm ships. WAD or BUG?
Don Bowen

Post by Don Bowen »

As designed, but maybe changed sometime during the beta.

We wanted to isolate the "from port" funtion to only use facilities and ships actually at the port. Same for "at sea", to use only ships at sea.

The original version used all available assets as it decided, leaving no options to the player.

I believe you have been having some trouble with AEs. Does this answer your issues?
Charbroiled

Post by Charbroiled »

ORIGINAL: Don Bowen

As designed, but maybe changed sometime during the beta.

We wanted to isolate the "from port" funtion to only use facilities and ships actually at the port. Same for "at sea", to use only ships at sea.

The original version used all available assets as it decided, leaving no options to the player.

I believe you have been having some trouble with AEs. Does this answer your issues?

Perfectly. Thanks for you help Don.

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”