APOS STRATEGIC MAP - WALK THROUGH

Achtung Panzer:Operation Star is an Eastern Front wargame with solid graphics and sprawling battlefields that really emphasize the scope of WWII tank combat. The gameplay is a remarkably realistic turn-based and real-time operational/tactical hybrid wargame that continues the series begun by the acclaimed Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943.
GBS

RE: APOS STRATEGIC MAP - WALK THROUGH

Post by GBS »

ORIGINAL: redmarkus4

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

I went through first 2 turns,taken Pavlovka and East Pavlovka,got major and minor victories yet when I start next turn they are in Russian hands[&:]I find it a lot easier as well to use "hidden" movement "pepper-potting" for my infantry.First battle 87 casualties,next battle 6 casualties.I am able to move the "reserve" units now.

I am only guessing, but I think that the final control of victory hexes depends on the relative states of the nearby units for both sides. 87 casualties is a lot, so it might be that even though you took the hexes, the game engine ruled that you didn't control the area in enough strength.

I have seen the opposite happen where I failed to take a victory location in the battle, but on the next turn it was showing as being under my control. Obviously, I damaged the enemy very badly, even though I didn't capture the ground.

For those interested...andrey explained on the graviteam forum that you are trying to take ground or large squares areas as shown on the operational map, not victory locations. The importance of the victory locations is that it gives the side who holds it certain advantages in fighting and defense.
"It is well War is so terrible lest we grow fond of it." -
R. E. Lee

"War..god help me, I love it so." - G. Patton
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Not sure I fully understand that explanation... :)
WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2
Dima12345

Post by Dima12345 »

Victory location acts as force multiplier. For example: at the end of battle you have one tank (say 10 points) and enemy have one tank (say 11 points) in square. If victory location is neutral then 11 > 10 and square will be enemy. If victory location is yours then 10 * 2 > 11 and whole square will be yours.
Each victory location have own multiplier value ( depends on size ) in range 1.2 to 10.
Each unit have different points for location control. What is more - bigger control points have commander, then infantry. Technics ( including tanks ) have small location control capability.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: Dima12345

Victory location acts as force multiplier. For example: at the end of battle you have one tank (say 10 points) and enemy have one tank (say 11 points) in square. If victory location is neutral then 11 > 10 and square will be enemy. If victory location is yours then 10 * 2 > 11 and whole square will be yours. Each victory location have own multiplier value ( depends on size ) in range 1.2 to 10.

Thanks Dima. So, if I have a force of, say, 6 squads in the Square and the enemy only has 1 squad but controls the victory location, I can end up controlling the square purely based on points...
Dima12345

Post by Dima12345 »

Thanks Dima. So, if I have a force of, say, 6 squads in the Square and the enemy only has 1 squad but controls the victory location, I can end up controlling the square purely based on points...

Depends on victory location size. If multiplier less then 6 - square will be yours.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

[/quote]

Depends on victory location size. If multiplier less then 6 - square will be yours.

[/quote]

Thanks. Is there any way to see these values on the Operation Map when planning the next move? How do we know which VL has the most value and where to move our forces?
Dima12345

Post by Dima12345 »

Thanks. Is there any way to see these values on the Operation Map when planning the next move? How do we know which VL has the most value and where to move our forces?

No. There is no way to see numeric values, you can estimate them only. It's just need to remember that taking victory location not guarantee then square will be yours, but if you have some forces with commander near flag - then in most cases square will not be overtaken by enemy.
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

ORIGINAL: Dima12345

No. There is no way to see numeric values, you can estimate them only. It's just need to remember that taking victory location not guarantee then square will be yours, but if you have some forces with commander near flag - then in most cases square will not be overtaken by enemy.

Thanks Dima - I appreciate the answers.

Maybe it can be a point for a future patch - indicate the value of each VL on the maps?
jonny211

Post by jonny211 »

Thanks for taking the time to post this Markus, more a AAR in my eyes and very well done.

Also good to find out about how the map squares are 'captured' after battles, I always wondered why my tanks couldn't push infantry out of Taranovka (and thinking about it again why should they?).

Cheers.

Jon
Redmarkus5

Post by Redmarkus5 »

Cheers - glad it was useful

Return to “Achtung Panzer Operation Star”