AGEOD and Paradox going separate ways

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Jim D Burns

AGEOD and Paradox going separate ways

Post by Jim D Burns »

If I had to read between the lines here, I’d say more than likely Paradox probably let it slip in talks with AGEOD that they wanted to stop all development on the AGE engine and move everyone onto the Clausewitz engine full time and AGEOD wasn’t willing to do that.

The only thing I have to go on is how Paradox has behaved over the years with their practice of releasing crappy unfinished games and then selling us the patches as add-ons. It’s a strictly cutthroat business practice that doesn’t care a bit about customers and that kind of atmosphere would never be kind to a game engine like the AGE engine due to the care and love its designers put into every product they release. Simply put, AGEOD cares about what it is they sell to us and Paradox doesn’t in my opinion.

Personally I’m very glad to see this change. I had feared we’d see fewer and fewer AGE engine titles when it was announced that the AGEOD team was being assigned to work on the Clausewitz engine. So I’ll be voting with my wallet as new AGE engine games are released. I just hope its enough to keep AGEOD alive and well.

Jim

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.p ... dox-France
Gilmer

RE: AGEOD and Paradox going separate ways

Post by Gilmer »

I'm an Ageod person. I learned about Paradox mostly through when they and Agedo merged. I had not seriously looked at any of their titles before that. If they split permanently, my money will go to Ageod over Paradox when there's a choice.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
wodin

Post by wodin »

Hopefully good news for the Rome game!! Yippee...as for them working together for three years...what did they really do together? Nothing as far as I know only NC2 which is now going to be a Napoleon EU game.

Though Paradox have a good catalogue and CK2 is so far my game of the year I don't like them ever since they bought the rights for a computer version of Squad Leader and did nothing with it.

I think Ageod would be better served joining forces with Slitherine\Matrix.
Matto

Post by Matto »

Good news ... I'm AGEOD fan too and have most of their games ... and I hope they will continue in their own development
Excuse my English ... I hope is better then Your Czech ... 8-)
My MatrixGames: WitP, WitP AE, WPO, JTCS, P&S, CoGEE, ATG, GoA, B.Academy, C-GW, OoB all DLCs, all SC, FoG2/E, most AGEOD games ...

Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Same here.
ORIGINAL: Matto

Good news ... I'm AGEOD fan too and have most of their games ... and I hope they will continue in their own development
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
Hertston

Post by Hertston »

From the looks of things it was more Paradox absorbing AGEOD than any real partnership. I've enjoyed some games and not others from both developers, so the retention of real choices such as that between Vicky 2 and Pride of Nations has to be a good thing. Pity about NC2; I have no interest in an 'EU' version. Doesn't EU3 have a Nappy expansion, anyway?

BTW, talking of Paradox it's half-price sale time on all their stuff at both Steam and Gamersgate.

Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Yep, that's a win-win. But I guess no more $5 for AGEOD games anymore [;)]
wodin

Post by wodin »

Also AGEOD are probably in a far less secure financial position now. Which is or could be a massive negative.
Gilmer

Post by Gilmer »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Also AGEOD are probably in a far less secure financial position now. Which is or could be a massive negative.

I have to agree with this. Ageod saw a benefit with being together and for them both to see that it was not a benefit does not necessarily bode well. I fervently hope the two Phils and their company can stay a viable entity.
"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/12/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon
wodin

Post by wodin »

Again maybe join forces with Slitherine\Matrix...for stronger financial security at least.
Arctic Blast

Post by Arctic Blast »

I don't really know why some of you guys seem to be assuming that AGEOD independent again. Paradox bought them. They aren't selling them off. They're giving them development autonomy (which is awesome), but they're still Paradox France.
Meditation on inevitable death should be performed daily.
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

I was wondering that myself with all the posts here and and other forums.

Like you said, Paradox France.

Although if you read the tone of the message it looks like a split.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
shunwick

Post by shunwick »

Corporate restructuring. Nothing more.
I love the smell of TOAW in the morning...

Return to “General Discussion”