Pledge for (forum) moderation

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

DivePac88

RE: Pledge for (forum) moderation

Post by DivePac88 »

But on a serious note, there are at times some bad behaviour on this site, especially in the opponents wanted section. But I think that some of it can be excused, as we are only human.

Yes there has been a lack of moderator action on the site of late. But this has always been a reasonably behaved site, and perhaps they just give us some slack. Because I'm shore that if things get too out of hand, one will show up.

Also most of us can't help our writings, and we carry French and Norman blood.

Attachments
Smiley_grognard.gif
Smiley_grognard.gif (7.05 KiB) Viewed 74 times
When you see the Southern Cross, For the first time
You understand now, Why you came this way
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Hey Des, hope life is treating you well.

I recall when there was a whole slew of moderators in the forum. If you look now there's only one name against all the forums....

Don't know whether they all just packed in or someone took a policy decision to downsize.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Except for the few Matrix employees who also had moderator authority but spent the vast majority of their time on other duties, all of the regular moderators were volunteers. As they have moved on over the years, there have been no replacements.
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Indeed, a shame there was no replacement policy.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I haven't noticed any immoderation or problems to speak of in this forum....but I've been gone for three weeks.  You guys haven't lost control in the interval have you?  If so, I suspect it was the fault of Q-Ball.  He's a Yankee and is very good at doing the things that Yankees do best.  If it wasn't Q-Ball it was probably Poultry Lad or Bullwinkle.  They are Yankees too and given to similar conduct.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

There seems to be a fair bit of vigilante - ism.
Plus we need grammar police, non-english-first-language excused. (I guess that includes most americans.)
There, their and they're people!!!
cheers
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
DD696

Post by DD696 »

The reasons this forum appears to me to have lost any significant moderator support is due to:

1) The game is not producing enough monetary input to Matrix to continue with it's consistent support.

2) Mr. Wilkerson has primarily moved on to other projects.

3) Many of the main disruptions on this forum are caused by former AE team members: therefore they seem to have immunity and act with impunity and, at times, downright arrogance. Still waiting to know if you want a copy of my DD-214, JWE? But, I guess, you have a method of procuring them whenever you want - however illegal that may be.

As I said not long ago and was criticized by some, the punks are running wild.

I do not think this forum will ever be moderated in the manner in which it should.
USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: DD696

The reasons this forum appears to me to have lost any significant moderator support is due to:

1) The game is not producing enough monetary input to Matrix to continue with it's consistent support.

2) Mr. Wilkerson has primarily moved on to other projects.

3) Many of the main disruptions on this forum are caused by former AE team members: therefore they seem to have immunity and act with impunity and, at times, downright arrogance. Still waiting to know if you want a copy of my DD-214, JWE? But, I guess, you have a method of procuring them whenever you want - however illegal that may be.

As I said not long ago and was criticized by some, the punks are running wild.
I do not think this forum will ever be moderated in the manner in which it should.

The two bolded lines taken in tanden are, if nothing else, a bit hilarious. Give the DD-214 thing a rest, will ya?

For everybody else, how about a group hug and get back to destroying the Japanese Empire?

If you can't do that, look up the Net definition of "troll." It's not "somebody I disagree with." I've been on Usenet about every day since 1992 and what is called trolling here is, with about five mostly banned exceptions, laughably not.

If you're still mad after that, insult me. Mooses got big shoulders. Let the rest of it go, OK? People said things, people are sorry.
The Moose
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

For everybody else, how about a group hug and get back to destroying the Japanese Empire?

HEY! [:@]
If you're still mad after that, insult me. Mooses got big shoulders.

OK-have it your way, long-eared rubber nosed swamp donkey Allied Fanboi!
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

What's everyone got against the USS Tracy (DD-214) anyways? [&:]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel
He's a Yankee and is very good at doing the things that Yankees do best.

What's that? Pleasing Southern women? [:'(]
danlongman

Post by danlongman »

Everybody just light a fire form a circle and sing "Kumbaya".
"Patriotism: Your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it." - George Bernard Shaw
JohnDillworth

Post by JohnDillworth »

I don't know. With a couple of exceptions I find most of the folks here pretty nice. As a rule everybody here is helpful and polite and sometimes outright funny. We have our spats, but I have only occasionally had to use the green button. I think the peace is kept because politics is verbotten. I wonder how long we would last as a group if no topics were forbidden and there was no moderation. I just got on facebook a year or two ago and I was amazed at some of the political views of people I grew up with have. I guess they think the same about me. Anyway, religion and politics leads to no good so I am happy to hang with this bunch
Today I come bearing an olive branch in one hand, and the freedom fighter's gun in the other. Do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. I repeat, do not let the olive branch fall from my hand. - Yasser Arafat Speech to UN General Assembly
Commander Stormwolf

Post by Commander Stormwolf »

You can't fight in here, this is the war room [;)]
"No Enemy Survives Contact with the Plan" - Commander Stormwolf
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

I wonder how long we would last as a group if no topics were forbidden and there was no moderation.

Depends on the people in the group. I know a forum where it's pretty much all religion and politics, largely composed of people who left the Art of War forum. It gets... contentious, and even flame wars erupt from time to time, but you don't see people carrying it around from thread to thread like you do here. Maybe it is because the other forum is largely unmoderated, so no one is going to lock a thread. You can't just flame someone there and then start demanding that the thread be locked to save you from retaliation, as certain people around here, alluded to tangentially by DD696, have been known to do. So there's less deliberately offensive posting.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Sir, I demand satisfaction! Squirrels at ten paces![;)]
The Moose
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Sir, I demand satisfaction! Squirrels at ten paces![;)]

pfff.....HoneyBadger don't care......Honeybadger just keeps on digging......
comte

Post by comte »

For the OP

Attachments
AE.jpg
AE.jpg (79.31 KiB) Viewed 74 times
LoBaron

Post by LoBaron »

Thanks for your thoughts on the topic everone.

I agree with much of what is said here, as always things are only a matter of perspective.

To adress one frequently mentioned point specifically:

I use the green button myself sometimes, but I have to admit that many interesting discussions and contributions to those
discussions are the result of (initially) highly divergent opinions. If you let your green button list grow above certain limits, or
use GB constantly just because you find specific posters annoying, and everybody does it, this would begin to suppress discussions
between people constantly at oppposing ends of a topic.

This forum is full of teachers, I mean this as a compliment. No place - and no book - has ever shaped my big picture of WWII and the PTO
in general, and every small aspect influencing it, as the WitP posters. I learned much here, and often through very opinionated debates between
forum members with a long - and often difficult - shared past.
The GB prevents those discussions, and it prevents it more likely when people involved have a long forum history. This is why I seldom use it
permanently and do not think it is an optimal solution or replaces a moderator.

I also want to point out that my initial post might be a bit, erm, theatrically, as I agree that the forum easily resides in the top 10% of online communities
nowerdays as far as social competence is concerned. But residing in the top 10% nowerdays is not much of a compliment. I am frequently disgusted
what is splattered around the web, on every topic, asked or not, without any attempt to think about consequences. Its ugly.
So I don´t buy the "we are behaving better than the others" stuff. What is frequently written on the anonymity of the net is beyond everthing I would ever
even think about another person.

We are not unknowns to each other. Some here I view as friends, many as acquainances. And many others, those I constantly disagree with, at least I know
how their clock ticks around here (hope this is the right phrase). So I guess I know them too.

The title of this was chosen on purpose. I do not think we require a moderater to survive as a community, helpful as it would be.
Think of it as a statement on how I think this forum should behave as a community, as there is enough knowledge and decency around here to justify the respect
from all of us.

Finally, I did not want to give the impression this thread is a reaction to some specific post. I thought about posting in those lines for quite some time
now and it was absolutely not intended to attack a specific behaviour. And in fact it is as much a reminder for myself as for everybody else.
Please view it as such. [:)]

Thanks guys, now whats that stuff about VT-8? Pulled the Zekes down to sealevel and saved Midway with their sacrifice, or was only a small sideshow
that did in no way directly influence the general attrition of the IJN CAP umbrella leading to the destruction of Yamamoto´s carriers? [:'(]
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

ORIGINAL: JohnDillworth

I don't know. With a couple of exceptions I find most of the folks here pretty nice. As a rule everybody here is helpful and polite and sometimes outright funny. We have our spats, but I have only occasionally had to use the green button. I think the peace is kept because politics is verbotten. I wonder how long we would last as a group if no topics were forbidden and there was no moderation. I just got on facebook a year or two ago and I was amazed at some of the political views of people I grew up with have. I guess they think the same about me. Anyway, religion and politics leads to no good so I am happy to hang with this bunch

I think everyone has a bad day or takes something the wrong way every once in a while...I know I do. And in those times we post without thinking it through first. And I think that so long as its only a rare occurrence, we are all for the most part fairly forgiving when it happens. It's when it becomes a common thing that it starts to be a problem, as it disrupts the harmony of the boards.

And yeah, religion and politics are two topics best left out of here...or anywhere for that matter. [:)]
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”