Informal Poll: Random Weather or Not

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

Rufus T. Firefly

Informal Poll: Random Weather or Not

Post by Rufus T. Firefly »

Hi everyone,

I'm about to start a new GC and since I haven't played with random weather yet, I'm trying to decide it I should try it out. I recall reading in some previous post that a least a few people think the random weather option introduces too much randomness. I would hope that the random weather would provide an occasional surprise to spice up the game, but not go so far as to dramatically change the outcome of the game through an excessive amount of freak weather changes benifiting one side or the other.

So I'm interested in seeing what the majority opinion of the more experienced players will be. [&:]

Thanks for your advice!
Rufus T. Firefly: Do you realize our army is facing disastrous defeat? What do you intend to do about it?
Chicolini: I've done it already. I've changed to the other side.
Firefly: What are you doing over here?
Chicolini: Well, the food is better
Schmart

RE: Informal Poll: Random Weather or Not

Post by Schmart »

I play only with random weather. I think playing with non-random weather is far too predictable. Likes seriously, did the Germans and Russians know exactly when there would be mud and clear weather in the spring of 1942 (non-random weather alternates mud/clear from May to mid-June 42) to time their attacks? I don't think so.

Some people say it disadvantages the Axis too much with at least one mud turn in the summer of 1941. Don't forget though, that you'll also get at least one snow turn during the first winter, and that can put a major damper to any Russian blizzard offensive. Also, I once played a game (Russian v AI) where there was snow all through April 1942, allowing the Germans to conduct a spring counter-offensive for a full month longer. Let me tell you, that put a major dent in the Russian lines...
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

IMHO random weather will be somewhat more to the Germans advantage in 1941. As Schmart says, even thoug a mud turn in summer can put a wrench in the Geman machinery, a couple of snow turns during blizzard more than compensates. Later in teh game, I think random weather is an advantage to the Soviets, as they move second in the turn. Random weather makes the game much more unpredictable and enjoyable. However, I do agree with those that think random weather can be a bit too random. I would like to see some kind of light mud or similar during the summer months.
------------------------------
RTW3 Designer
Farfarer61

Post by Farfarer61 »

Random makes it more fun. Who stays in Russia during Blizzards anymore? :)
TulliusDetritus

Post by TulliusDetritus »

Only random weather for me. In fact I am an extremist: death to non-random weather! [8D]
"Hitler is a horrible sexual degenerate, a dangerous fool" - Mussolini, circa 1934
timmyab

Post by timmyab »

ORIGINAL: Tarhunnas
However, I do agree with those that think random weather can be a bit too random. I would like to see some kind of light mud or similar during the summer months.
Yes me too.Also a stage between snow and blizzard.
Ideally the weather would be completely random within historical possibilities, including the first winter.Some sort of VP compensation would be needed for the worst affected player.You'd probably need a next turn weather forecast as well.
The predictability of the weather, even when using the random weather option is a big negative for me.
Flaviusx

Post by Flaviusx »

Tarhunnas, respectfully, I don't see how you can say random weather is in the German advantage in 1941. Mud turns in summer 1941 are like gold for the Soviets. I don't care how many snow turns turn up later. Surviving the summer is the most important thing.

Last game I played I had mud in south and central Soviet on turn 5, and in the north zone on turn 11. This was huge.

WitE Alpha Tester
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

@Flaviusx Of course there is some luck to it, but with average luck there will only be one or two muds in summer, it evens out, you might get a shorter autumn mud period or a mild winter. I think I was lucky as the German with random weather in my game against gids.
RTW3 Designer
Michael T

Post by Michael T »

Non Random only.

In my board games I like the weather tables and rolls. But the WITE version doesn't do it for me.
carlkay58

Post by carlkay58 »

I prefer and mostly play with Random weather. That said, it can truly bite either player in the rear at times. I did my first game of Barbarossa (as the Axis) with random weather (I did not realize it at the time) and had mud straight from the start of September until the end of October and then had snow and blizzard for the rest of it. It really put a stop on the Axis advance and I got totally creamed by the AI in the game!

On the other hand, I was one of the players who discovered the "Axis Spring" problem (where the Axis become supermen instantly in the first non-blizzard turn in 42) when my carefully planned final push of my Soviet winter offensive was totally ruined when I had a snow turn in February and had my three reserve armies that had just come up to the front totally crushed in two turns - over 1 million casualties while the Axis lost less than 25,000!

But I prefer not knowing when the weather will change and be forced to modify my plans accordingly.

I think that the random weather is great for the Soviets in the summer of 1941 - as anything that can slow down the Axis is a great thing. But after that, I think it tilts towards the Axis player. The Axis player is the first player under the turn's weather so it gives them a slight edge on taking advantage of it.
delatbabel

Post by delatbabel »

I prefer only to play with random weather but most of the server game challenges are set for non-random weather.

In fact in a game of this type I can't understand why non-random weather exists. It means that at the start of the game you know what the weather in every turn in April 1944 is going to be. That doesn't make sense.
--
Del
kg_1007

Post by kg_1007 »

I like random just because I think knowing exactly when the blizzard will hit, when the mud will hit, etc, is a bit too much. The first game I played, I did use the "non random" because the scale of the game, etc, was so huge, the last thing I wanted to do was also keep track of possible weather issues while I learned it..but now, I prefer random always.
76mm

Post by 76mm »

In theory I would like to play with random weather, but currently it is just too random. If they can't introduce something between clear and mud, I would like for them to introduce a "random-lite" option in which mud/blizzard can vary by +/- two or three turns, just to keep things interesting...
IdahoNYer

Post by IdahoNYer »

Random all the way. Nothing better to see mud stop an advance cold - whether in 41 or 44-45!
Tarhunnas

Post by Tarhunnas »

I think the preference for random or not depends on if you see WITE primarily as a game to be won or a simulation to be enjoyed.

The impact of weather is different for Axis and Soviet, as the Axis always moves first. I have found that late war, random weather can disadvantage the Axis in that you usually can break pockets and get encircled units out, but if a sudden spell of mud hits, suddenly your encircled units are goners. And late war, you usually have a couple of divisions encircled almost every turn.
RTW3 Designer
cpt flam

Post by cpt flam »

Random too for me.
A bit more fun (except for summer 41 german). [:D]
janh

Post by janh »

Random only. No one ever planned 3 months ahead because they new on week XX mud was coming. The non-random game is a totally different thing, and it is pure fiction.
A few more grades of weather would be nice though (light mud, heavy mud, etc.).
Commanderski

Post by Commanderski »

Random weather only for me. It's more fun and just like real weather, unpredictable. Has no advantage to either side.
heliodorus04

Post by heliodorus04 »

Random. It can definitely do more good for the German than harm.
Plus, it's one of the only things that gives the game better replayability.

Obviously the weather zones could be improved a LOT, and as 76mm said, something in between full-on Rasputitsa and full-on dry would be very welcome in this game.
Fall 2021-Playing: Stalingrad'42 (GMT); Advanced Squad Leader,
Reading: Masters of the Air (GREAT BOOK!)
Rulebooks: ASL (always ASL), Middle-Earth Strategy Battle Game
Painting: WHFB Lizardmen leaders
hfarrish

Post by hfarrish »

Back a year ago random was a death sentence for a German attacker; now I think the game would be almost impossible for the Soviet without it (and it helps to mitigate the blizzard somewhat on the other end)...I'd also note it can hurt the Soviet in '41 as well, particularly in terms of breaking pockets.

So yes, I think random and I agree with prior comments that gradations of weather impact would be nice in the future, so you would likely have more "rain" turns in the summer but many of these wouldn't completely shut down the offensive.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”