sidebar font

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderators: Panther Paul, Arjuna

butch1171

sidebar font

Post by butch1171 »

Just bought the game and i have read all messages but nothing works so what is the bottom line on resolving the issue of the sidebar not being seen so all the info is included. Thanks for a final solution to this issue.
CharlieMike24

RE: sidebar font

Post by CharlieMike24 »

I think it's to do with not all screen resolutions being supported. It's on the forum somewhere. Try changing desktop resolution to something else and see if that works....
butch1171

Post by butch1171 »

Thanks for the quick reply but i have tried all of the resolutions supported by the game with no success. The issue seems to be that the word fonts are too large and they are not contained in the space provided.With Windows 7 i am limited to 96dpi and i cannot manually make them smaller. I think it is a waste of money for no solution to be available from Matrix or Panther Games. This will probably be my last purchase of many games from the company.
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

Try looking through the solutions to sidebar resolution again. I know I answered this for Win 7 recently.
butch1171

Post by butch1171 »

Thanks Lieste for your help. I tried all of the screen resolutions and visited your 100 posts to see if there was any solutions to my situation and found nothing to help me out. I lowered all of the resolutions but in each case there existed the same issue of the words not being inside the area to be read. If there is a solution I have not seen it for most of the afternoon that I have been trying to discover a work around. Thanks again for your possibel solution but none of the screen resolutions solved the error.
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

You'll need to provide more information on your system, what settings you have for display etc. only as an aside do we know that you have Win7, but nothing else. Lacking talent as a clairvoyant I've no real idea what you have actually got as your settings, and how best to adjust them...

One thing that might be worth a giggle - but only because I have it set myself and it doesn't break anything:
Try adjusting the properties - I have mine set to disable display scaling on high DPI settings.
butch1171

Post by butch1171 »

Tried the giggle with no success.Here is info for my system Windows7Home Premium, Service Pack 1,HP Manufacture, Processor(IntelCore 15CPU 650@3.20 GHZ), installed memory ram 6.00GB,64 bit operating system,Intel HD Graphics, resolution set at 1920X1080,display setting at smaller 100% default cannot go lower, custom DPI setting 100% using Windows XP Style DPI Scaling checked 9 point SEGOE UI at 96 pixels per inch,clear type test tuner in use.
I have tried most of the suggestions on forum including turning off clear tuner. MY screen shot would be the same as what has been displayed in the forum. I do have the original Highway to THe Reich and it plays perfect on my system with no problems. If you need more info let me know.

Post by Topo »

Know issue i think:

Try to set the font size on 100% (i suspect now is set to 125%).
Yes, I'm Italian
No, I never voted for berlusconi...
butch1171

Post by butch1171 »

I have tried that in the past but gave it another shot and it was on 100% which is the default. I would love to go below that figure but it is not possible as 100% is the minimum.
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: butch1171

Thanks for the quick reply but i have tried all of the resolutions supported by the game with no success. The issue seems to be that the word fonts are too large and they are not contained in the space provided ...

If this is what I think it is, I too had an issue reading all the text in the side bar; I tried to find a fix in the game's virtual manual and noticed that the pdf was at about 200 magnification, so I put it back to 100%; I later discovered that the side bar's text now fit in the side bar.

Go figure.
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
butch1171

Post by butch1171 »

Joe D.
Not being the most computer expert I need to know if I use word or other source to open files where exactly will I find the virtual manual. THis sounds like what I might need but I need to follow the yellow brick road for directions to the virtual manual. THanks for your help
decaro

Post by decaro »

Joe D.
Not being the most computer expert I need to know if I use word or other source to open files where exactly will I find the virtual manual ...

Start, All Programs, Battles from the Bulge, Documentation, BTFB Game Manual (E-Book).

In the tool bar at the the top of the page click the drop-down menu for percent settings: it should be set to about 100% and FitWidth should be checked.
butch1171

Post by butch1171 »

Joe D.
Easy to find but when I do that and click out on return to the manual it goes back to the original. I can't seem to get the 100% and the FitWidth to stay. It appears there is no way to save the new settings as once the game starts the original settings are being used. Any ideas how to get the changes to stick?
decaro

Post by decaro »

Joe D.
Easy to find but when I do that and click out on return to the manual it goes back to the original. I can't seem to get the 100% and the FitWidth to stay. It appears there is no way to save the new settings as once the game starts the original settings are being used. Any ideas how to get the changes to stick?

If you check/select FitWidth, it doesn't stay checked?

Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Tried the giggle with no success.Here is info for my system Windows7Home Premium, Service Pack 1,HP Manufacture, Processor(IntelCore 15CPU 650@3.20 GHZ), installed memory ram 6.00GB,64 bit operating system,Intel HD Graphics, resolution set at 1920X1080,display setting at smaller 100% default cannot go lower, custom DPI setting 100% using Windows XP Style DPI Scaling checked 9 point SEGOE UI at 96 pixels per inch,clear type test tuner in use.
I have tried most of the suggestions on forum including turning off clear tuner. MY screen shot would be the same as what has been displayed in the forum. I do have the original Highway to THe Reich and it plays perfect on my system with no problems. If you need more info let me know.
butch,

Please try turning off the XP Style DPI scaling. Let me know if that works.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Lieste

Post by Lieste »

I'm wondering if this is windows/nvidia trying to be 'clever' and automagically scaling stuff in the background. I have never seen these behaviours, and am running a fairly small monitor - if one of the affected users sets the run-time resolution to something around 1280x1024 (my maximum res) does the sidebar problem go away?

If it does, it is probably not *the* solution, as LCD screens don't look their best at non-native resolution... but it does allow the program to be used while a better solution is sought. It also points at what area might be fruitful for further investigation in trying to pin down the cause.

So. For an affected user:
Does this only apply to certain (high) resolutions (assuming that DPI=96 is set in Windows) - when starting at a lower screen res, does the display improve? What resolutions are usable?
Graphics Card & Driver type, plus windows version would help.
butch1171

Post by butch1171 »

TO Arjuna and Lieste,
Back to my situation. I turned off XP Style DPI scaling with no effect. As stated earlier I have gone through each of the resolution settings at game start up with no change in the sidebar issue. As stated earlier I am running Windows 7 Home Preium with all drivers updated. I am using the Intel HD Graphics again with all drivers updated.

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 6/2/2012, 11:27:47
Machine name: BUTCHSTOCKLAND
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.120330-1504)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Hewlett-Packard
System Model: 610-1050y
BIOS: OS Date: 01/27/11 22:32:57 Ver: 08.00.15
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 650 @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Memory: 6144MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 5944MB RAM
Page File: 2498MB used, 9386MB available
Windows Dir: C:\Windows
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 64bit Unicode

I am enclosing system info. Again I find it strange that I can run the original Highway to the Reich on my system with no problems...
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

I have started a discussion on this on our Private Dev forum. Paul believes it is a case of MS overriding our text controls. He's off to Europe in a few days but will get onto this on his return.

We had a case previously where the user changed some of the controls in their browser an these fixed the is isue in the game. If you are using IE there are some accessibility options under the Tools/Internet Options/Advanced menu. The ones to disable are:
  • Reset Text size to medium for new windows and tabs
  • Reset zoom level for new windows and tabs

In addition, under the Tools menu, ensure the Zoom level is set to 100% or thereabouts. IIRC one user had this set to 150% and when we changed it back it all worked fine in the game. Now don't ask me why this should have an affect but I believe MS is actually setting some system global variables rather than application specific variables to achieve their desired result in IE.

Please try it and get back to me.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
Arjuna

Post by Arjuna »

Just got this titbit from Paul Roberts on our Panther Dev Forum.

Another trap to look out for is ensuring you have the right system font. This can be set as follows:

In Win 7, do this:

1) Right click on the desktop and click "Personalize" at the bottom of the pop-up menu. (Alternately, you can go to Control Panel and follow links to "Personalization.")

2) You'll see options for changing the visuals and sounds for your desktop. If you click "Window Color" along the bottom of the screen, you get a window for changing appearances.

3) The bottom of this page is a link to "Advanced Appearance Settings." If you click this, a window pops up for changing specific elements of the windows interface, including colors and text for different kinds of frames, titles, and menu text. It's possible, for instance to change the font and size of windows title headers and other interface text. (Note you have to clikc on the windows in the frame to activate the font display. Once activated you can change it.)

The default system font is under Win 7 is Segoe UI 9pt. If your's is different either in terms of size or type, then try changing it back to the default.
Dave "Arjuna" O'Connor
www.panthergames.com
butch1171

Post by butch1171 »

Arjuna Thank you for all the help. I tried the first with the IE disable activity with no sucess. I tried the second possible solution with the default system font being Segoe UI 9pt. I had that as my font display. I also had the zoom level set at 100 % but just for fun I changed it to 75% to see if that had any effect. It did not. Since I know the history of the Battle of the Bulge I can wait patiently for a solution to this concern but I do appreciate your help and any more suggestions you might consider so that I can enjoy the scope of your fine game

Return to “Tech Support”