Hmm..sounds like swords and shields..

Sovereignty: Crown of Kings is a turn-based fantasy strategy game for the PC. It offers a intuitive yet deep province system, allowing you to raise armies, conduct diplomacy, scout enemy battle lines, rally heroes to your banner, send them on quests, cast spells and go to war. In Sovereignty, the player chooses one of 35 Realms in a bid for dominance of the map. Play is conducted in a series of turns as a single player game. Each Realm has a unique culture and history, which translates directly into different play-styles. Each realm has its own mix of unit types and spell trees. Their diplomatic relations, economies and histories vary. A player may choose a new realm and experience the game in a very different way. Fantasy heroes, troops, races and spells complement the rise to power.
wodin

Hmm..sounds like swords and shields..

Post by wodin »

Sounds like a game set during War of the Roses or something. I fancy a wargame set in those times as it would make a change. Though if i'ts grand strategy I'd be a touch disappointed. I want both GS and Battlefield play aswell.

I'm probably wrong and it's set in space or something.

Even a fantasy setting would be cool aslong as it had some realism thrown in. Maybe King Arthur or something.
wodin

RE: Hmm..sounds like swords and shields..

Post by wodin »

Well looks like I was right about the Fantasy setting. If it plays like Dom 3 I'd be very happy indeed.
jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley »

Sovereignty will set in the fantasy realm, with orges, humans, unicorns, walking trees, complete with diplomacy and world campaign map.

This could be interesting but it seems that it will "be perfect for the I-pad" which tends to suggest that it will be 'Lite', in common with the vast majority of games that are being developed now.

Still, will wait and see and judge when more details become available, although my money is on something fluffy and 'fast-paced'
Cheers

Jim
wodin

Post by wodin »

Thats what I thought. I don't want a lite fantasy game. Loads of them already. I want something with some weight to it. A game like Dom 3 but abit better looking and moddable would be awesome. I love Dom 3 as you watch the battles play out. I much prefer that over RTS gameplay.

In my mind tablets and mobiles are really having a negative effect on games. The latest game by illwater is typical. A streamlined cut down and lite version of Dom 3. More games are coming out that are classed as lite all the time and anything with some depth seems to be a very rare thing these days.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

Master of Magic crossed with Risk is probably a good way to imagine this. It's not the "War in the East" of fantasy games, but it should be a great deal of fun for war/strategy gamers. If you had fun with games like Warlords, Age of Wonders, Master of Magic, etc. then you should enjoy this one.

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.
Anguille

Post by Anguille »

look forward to see more of this...i hope it's going to have some mood from Lord of the rings, Rising Kingdoms and Armies of Exigo.
wodin

Post by wodin »

Erik please try and find some who will develop a fantasy game as deep as WITE.
Skeleton

Post by Skeleton »

I could not agree more Wodin; something along the lines of the original War of the Ring boardgame, with hexes...ahhhh to dream!
*Formerly known as Marcus the Leper, time has taken a toll and now I am simply a skeleton...*
wodin

Post by wodin »

Yes there is a massive gap in the market for a game like that. Infact I can't really think of one ever being done. I'd buy instantly.
Joram

Post by Joram »

Description has been written in. Is this an attempt to make Dominions more affordable and less esoteric? Or at least a better GUI!
jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley »

This is starting to sound intriguing. It will be interesting to see the the product information and some sreen shots.

If the combat mechanics are half decent, I may well be up for this one.
Cheers

Jim
wodin

Post by wodin »

James we seem to have similar tastes and opinions on games.
jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley »

Hi Wodin, indeed we do.

I am an old time tactical level gamer. Anything above battalion level and I feel a disconnect - moving regiments, divisions and corps does little for me.

I think the type of game that we both want is rapidly becoming a quest for the holy grail. Mobile compatibility, fast pace, easy to learn and flashy graphics are the key components for most games now and that is only going to intensify going forward because, sadly, that is where the money is. And that is in common with the general 'dumbing-down' evident in almost all forms of entertainment, particularly TV and films.

My only hope is that, in the same manner as Kickstartrer is giving old fashioned hard core RPGs a new lease of life, perhaps we may see a similar trend in wargames.

My personal 'grail' would be along the lines of the MMP platoon level WW2 boardgames wherein you have to write down your plan of attack or defense, in detail, and deviating from the plan is as difficult as it was in reality. At this time there is no PC wargame that comes even close to that level of historical integrity and very few boardgames for that matter.

I suppose the closest is either Combat Mission Normandy which is quite good but is both frustrating and hard work in equal measure or Panzer Command:Osfront which still needs a lot of work on it's infantry model.

I live in hope but see little to encourage optimism.
Cheers

Jim
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: James Crowley

Hi Wodin, indeed we do.

I am an old time tactical level gamer. Anything above battalion level and I feel a disconnect - moving regiments, divisions and corps does little for me.

I think the type of game that we both want is rapidly becoming a quest for the holy grail. Mobile compatibility, fast pace, easy to learn and flashy graphics are the key components for most games now and that is only going to intensify going forward because, sadly, that is where the money is. And that is in common with the general 'dumbing-down' evident in almost all forms of entertainment, particularly TV and films.

My only hope is that, in the same manner as Kickstartrer is giving old fashioned hard core RPGs a new lease of life, perhaps we may see a similar trend in wargames.

My personal 'grail' would be along the lines of the MMP platoon level WW2 boardgames wherein you have to write down your plan of attack or defense, in detail, and deviating from the plan is as difficult as it was in reality. At this time there is no PC wargame that comes even close to that level of historical integrity and very few boardgames for that matter.

I suppose the closest is either Combat Mission Normandy which is quite good but is both frustrating and hard work in equal measure or Panzer Command:Osfront which still needs a lot of work on it's infantry model.

I live in hope but see little to encourage optimism.

Love your personal grail game. Yes you want what i want. Maybe we shoudl learn how to programme and make them oursleves.
jamespcrowley

Post by jamespcrowley »

ORIGINAL: wodin

Love your personal grail game. Yes you want what i want. Maybe we shoudl learn how to programme and make them oursleves.

Ha! With my technical skills the game wouldn't be coming out until the next century! It's a nice dream though.
Cheers

Jim
heckler

Post by heckler »

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Master of Magic crossed with Risk is probably a good way to imagine this. It's not the "War in the East" of fantasy games, but it should be a great deal of fun for war/strategy gamers. If you had fun with games like Warlords, Age of Wonders, Master of Magic, etc. then you should enjoy this one.

Regards,

- Erik

It sounds like I'll love it! Ideally the combat system/unit selection borrows from the best of MoM and AoW! I liked the feature in MoM where units had varying 'figures' in them (spearmen having more than a unit of cavalry, and monsters being just one) and that lower level troops could retain relevance when you augmented them with enchantments.

I also enjoyed from AoW where units used MP in 'fighting back', and so a surrounded unit could be beaten down by numbers.

Very excited for this to hit the 'shelves'!

And yes, I'd also buy the hypothetical World in Flames in a fantasy setting...

Return to “Sovereignty: Crown of Kings”