LOS and multi-level buildings

Panzer Command: Ostfront is the latest in a new series of 3D turn-based tactical wargames which include single battles, multi-battle operations and full war campaigns with realistic units, tactics and terrain and an informative and practical interface. Including a full Map Editor, 60+ Scenarios, 10 Campaigns and a very long list of improvements, this is the ultimate Panzer Command release for the Eastern Front!

Moderator: rickier65

kbrow06

LOS and multi-level buildings

Post by kbrow06 »

Hoping for some input regarding how to target infantry in multi level buildings.

Normally no issues, but as soon as a unit gets stuck up on top of a church steeple, (always seems to be a steeple, but this does apply to any multi level) it seems like they become invisble and can not be targetted by either direct or indirect fire. Which is strange as often there are tracers coming from the 2nd level and it is pretty obvious where the fire comes from.

But, ok, can understand that direct fire against concealed infantry should be limited, hard to spot ect. But a steeple in the middle of an open, flat plain is a pretty obvious target - so why is it that most of my units can not even indirect fire at it?

In those cases where they can indirect target the buidling, they only appear to target the ground level, never suppressing or hitting the unit on the level above.

But, the reverse does not seem true for the AI, who - once the have ID'ed my 2nd level unit, is able to target and suppress as I would expect.

Would be happy to tell you what version I am running, but that seems a bit tricky to find.
Thanks for any advise or input.
junk2drive

RE: LOS and multi-level buildings

Post by junk2drive »

Troops should be able to direct fire above ground. AFVs don't seem to be able to unless they have LOS to the enemy unit.

Version number is on the side of the turret on the tank in the main screen.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
kbrow06

Post by kbrow06 »

Hi - Thanks for the reply!

Interesting - kind of limits the approach of blowing out steeples and high points with AFV's. Hope this is addressed in future updates.

Regarding version - the tank states 329, and I have upgraded to Beta 329d - confirmed install. So this seems well. Thanks for the tip - nicely placed.

Also, now when I check for new Updates from the PCO start up screen it states one is available, but will not download - says error on FTP server. Is this becuase of the Beta or is there an actual update out there?

Thanks again - excellent game!
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

If you have already installed the 329d beta, you have the most current version. These beta updates for Matrix games seem to confuse the auto update feature. The official version is supposed to be released soon but Matrix seems busy with new releases at the moment and staff shortages.
Conflict of Heroes "Most games are like checkers or chess and some have dice and cards involved too. This game plays like checkers but you think like chess and the dice and cards can change everything in real time."
Mad Russian

Post by Mad Russian »

ORIGINAL: kbrow06

Hi - Thanks for the reply!

Interesting - kind of limits the approach of blowing out steeples and high points with AFV's. Hope this is addressed in future updates.

Not as bad as it seems since you can't 'take out' any terrain the game at the moment. You can area fire the steeples as much as you like.
Thanks again - excellent game!

Thank you. For playing and leaving comments. We appreciate all the gamer input that we can get.

Good Hunting.

MR
The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.
junk2drive

Post by junk2drive »

I have seen concerns (complaints? discussions?) at the CMBN forum about tanks firing overhead at troops on upper floors. Sometimes with software, giving "this" gets you "that", and you have to weigh the benefit against any downsides. I would like to be able to area fire my tank gun at an upper floor where I know there is an enemy but can't see him because he was suppressed. I would also like the area fire to chase the fleas off the dog.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

If your units can't see the enemy then they would have to use area fire.
To area fire a unit in a building place your area fire target on the ground near the foot of the building so the area box is over the ground location of the target. If using small arms probably the best you can do is to intermittently suppress the hidden unit. That may gain you time to move some of your units closer in order to get a direct shot on the enemy.

To target enemy units in building when you can see them target their 'coin' rather than trying to target the infantry models as often they are spread around at different locations in the building.

All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer

Return to “Panzer Command: Ostfront”