1.7.0.14 Autosave Crash

Post bug reports and ask for support here.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

MartialDoctor

1.7.0.14 Autosave Crash

Post by MartialDoctor »

DW crashed while autosaving. Here's a picture of the error.

Attachments
AutosaveCrash.gif
AutosaveCrash.gif (162.1 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Bebop Cola

RE: 1.7.0.14 Autosave Crash

Post by Bebop Cola »

I get those when I don't manage the memory leak issue. Basically, seems like 1.7.0.14 has a memory leak that dumps the application every couple hours depending on your system. The only way to avoid it is to quite the application cleanly every couple hours so it can release the memory it has accumulated. Then you can start it back up.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

I'm not convinced that this is a memory leak - I haven't seen the process actually running out of memory (VMMap sysinternals). Two other possibilities are -
  • a problem with the code attempting to erroneously allocate a ridiculously large amount of memory - it's not the first time it's happened, especially if multiple threads are accessing a shared object and the object isn't locking access to a single thread at a time (A and B try to access C - while A is using it, B comes in and messes up the data)
  • memory fragmentation is another possibility
Nothing a user can do about it, however. Elliot has to track it down and fix it.

But imo, DW probably needs a custom memory pool to get around the 2G limit in .Net - but that's just a guess, as I can only guess at how Elliot is handling his memory. There is no real reason why DW should be limited to 2G memory limit imposed by .Net.

A 64-bit version would also be nice, as it's becoming more and more common these days. I have no idea how hard this would be to do with C#. Perhaps food for thought for the next version of DW.

*edit*
Looks like it would be more trouble than it's worth to recompile for 64-bit at this point. If the next version of DW is going to require a major rewrite, it might be worth considering, however.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
solops

Post by solops »

I get the same crash....1000 stars on a 15x15.
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.-Edmund Burke
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; if it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it.-Judge Learned Hand
Ruru

Post by Ruru »

me to. saving issue. sometimes i get one or two saves...sometimes i dont get a save. it mean all the gameplay is lost. had to restart game very frequently but that doesnt always work :(

so i went on medium map, lot less stars. only 4 empires. still problem exists.

Return to “Tech Support”