Creating maps with the editor

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

Gizuria

Creating maps with the editor

Post by Gizuria »

I'm looking to put together a few smallish maps to start off and I'd like to know if there's any way to adjust a hex's elevation without having to use an input map. I'd like to start with a map of about 20x40 hexes and I'd prefer to do it from scratch. I tried creating a jpeg input map yesterday but got absolutely nowhere with it and I don't want to start with a monster sized map! Anyone had any success with the editor?
general_solomon

RE: Creating maps with the editor

Post by general_solomon »

it would be awsome if some one could create a tutorial. maybe even a video tutorial.
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

It's certainly not the most intuitive scenario editor I've ever worked with, that's for sure.[:D] I'm hoping to create a couple of simple, low unit-density, combined-arms, firefights to be played primarily from the German side over the next few days. I have some map ideas but my efforts yesterday afternoon to produce an input map met with no success whatsoever. I would really like to know how to do the following:

Cut the existing base map so that I can create a flat map 20x40 hexes. I've tried using the Ctr-Shift_M/N combo but that only seems to partition off the playing area from the rest of the board.

Adjust a hex's elevation level directly from the editor. I see we have a 'Create Height by Noise', 'Adjust Height by Noise' option. What does that mean? How does it work? When I click on it, I get water randomly distributed around my otherwise flat map.

I am willing to put in the hard work to learn something new but I'm going to need a start here. My attempts at Parsing my first three input maps were fruitless to say the least.
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

Another question after playing around a bit more with the editor. I haven't been able to place walls with any degree of certainty yet. I can create the wall ribbons and when I click on 'Create Road and Wall Ribbons', I can get the roads to form up, but not the walls. How can I create walls in the editor?

It was not the best idea to get started on scenario construction at a weekend. There's no-one around to help.[:D] Maybe somebody with some knowledge of this editor can give me (us) some pointers so that I can get my first scenario up and working.

FWIW, I LOVE WW2 East Front games. From what I've played (and won) so far, I'm guessing that most of the Firefights that ship with the game have been designed with H2H balance in mind? I'm mainly a single player and so I'm going to concentrate on missions balanced for the German side against the Soviets for the time being.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Walls are created by selecting the wall tile from the menu, then clicking and dragging over hex sides along which you wish to place the wall.

We've talked about putting together a video tutorial for scenario editing. Once we get the next patch or two squared-away I'll see whether we can fit this into our schedule.
Blond_Knight

Post by Blond_Knight »

I have to be honest, Im on the fence until I can see some videos or at least pics of the editor and a tutorial.
Its been my experience that if the developer cant be bothered to make the editor intuitive or at least an editor tutorial then its not worth the time to learn it.
Mr. Z

Post by Mr. Z »

I had thought an editor tutorial was included with the install version; however, even if not, our wiki provides an editor tutorial:'

http://cohwiki.slitherine.com/index.php ... pers_guide

We hope to put up even more details there very shortly.

Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

Isn't that Wiki just the same as the Editor Manual? I've read both several times. It's been my experience in the past with editors and manuals that most of the necessary information is actually there, at least for folks who are already in the know. Perhaps this is the same?

Regarding creating walls. Yup, that's exactly what I've been doing. I get a string of little yellow squares on the hex sides, I click on 'create walls/roads ribbons' and nothing happens. Those little yellow squares remain in their place.[&:]

For the record, here's what I've tried so far.

I usually try to keep things as simple as possible when I start work with a new editor. So my first attempt at an input map was to create a 2048x2048 jpeg map in Photoshop and then draw two straight red lines crossing in the middle of the map. I parsed this in and had a look at the map. No roads. [&:] Okay, maybe the colour was not exactly correct. But regardless of the colour, I can't get those roads to appear. Then I've tried adding forests. Again, no matter how I tinker with the colours, no forests appear when I parse in the map. Do these colours need to be more or less exactly the same as the ones in the manual/wiki? When I tried adding elevations, the effect is spotty to say the least. That's why I'm trying to create a map from scratch without using an input map.

I'm willing to spend a little more time exploring this to see if I can get a breakthrough because I'd like to craft some more challenging single-player missions. If I can't achieve that breakthrough today, then I guess I'll just have to wait for those videos to appear... Or, if you're patching, you might consider adding the following tooltips to your editor:

Raise hex elevation by one level: [clicking on this raises the hex's elevation by one level - default is ground. Click twice to raise it to level 2, etc]
Lower hex elevation by one level: [as above. Only lowers it by one level]
Mr. Z

Post by Mr. Z »

Yes, the wiki is essentially (though not exactly) the Editor Manual :) It seemed some were not aware of the editor manual and we wanted to give everyone the option to use a website in case they found it easier to navigate. This also lets us add more content that isn't in the manual if there is any need for it.

The ribbons need to be drawn--you need to drag your mouse cursor from hex to hex while holding down the left mouse button. You should see the road path appear in red.

I'm not sure how the map parser would interpret straight lines without regard to the hex offsets. Also be sure you are using exactly the color displayed on the legend--importing it into Photoshop (just save the image, then Open it in Photoshop), then using the Eyedropper tool to sample the color (select the tool, then click on the color swatch) should do it.

Same for forests--it really does need to be exactly the same color as found on the legend.

Elevation is the one thing that cannot be drawn in the editor--it must be on the input map. Again, it must be the exact same color as on the legend--I would recommend doing that in Photoshop, too. Adding an in-editor tool to change elevation, as you suggest, is high on our list of priorities.

Also high on our list is a video guide to firefight development :)

Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

Yup. Roads I can do But the red ribbon still remains on the map after I've created them [create walls/roads ribbons]. And that's exactly what I'm doing with walls as well. By dragging the cursor, I get little yellow squares on each hexside I cross. Then I press 'create etc' and then no walls appear. The yellow squares remain though.[&:]

I'm solid on CTRL+SHIFT+N and CTRL+SHIFT+M to partition off a section of the huge map for development however and it makes creating a LOS map doable. I've got a rudimentary FLAT map all set up and ready for adding units but when I add the axis units, I'm finding duplicates appearing randomly both on and off map. And they won't go away when I try to delete them but the scenery does![&:]
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Thanks for your interest in this, and for your reports on how things are going.

Aye, the extra units: I found a bug that was making mouse-clicks appear through buttons. This is probably what is creating the extra units you are seeing. We are testing a fix for this for the next patch. (Unfortunately the editor didn't get much testing during the release testing phase of development -- which is when I fixed another glitch in the main game that caused this problem in the editor.)

I'm not sure why the walls aren't appearing when you create ribbons. I will test this. Don't worry about the little yellow and red squares: those are only marks that appear when you are running the game in editor mode. When you load a map in the normal game, those marks won't appear. For what it's worth, you don't need to create the wall ribbons in the editor for the walls to appear in the game: that creation process happens automatically every time a map loads. Creating the ribbons within the editor is just to let you see what the walls will look like in the game.

Please send me your input map (ericbabe@west-civ.com) with which you are having problems creating roads and such, and I'll take a look at it. Yes you should use palette entries that are very close to the ones in the palette guide: there is some tolerance in the import process for different RGB values, but the tolerance is pretty small (like 5% or something.)

We would like to add a height control gizmo to the editor at some point. The mesh does take a fraction of a second to rebuild, so this editor might be a little frustrating to use when trying to create large height structures.
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

I did a test this afternoon. It looks as though the walls are working properly in the editor. I first selected "Walls" and left-click-and-dragged across the hex boundaries to produce a wall template like this:

Attachments
COH_Screenshot_158.jpg
COH_Screenshot_158.jpg (138.22 KiB) Viewed 232 times
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Then when I selected "Create Road and Wall Ribbons" from the Editor menu I get:

Attachments
COH_Screenshot_159.jpg
COH_Screenshot_159.jpg (125.92 KiB) Viewed 232 times
Gizuria

Post by Gizuria »

They say a picture is worth a thousand words. How true. I can see from that screenshot what I was doing wrong. Let's just say that i was connecting hexsides. I'll give it a run through later and no doubt be back with more questions.
Jamm

Post by Jamm »

Spent my day off yesterday playing around with the editor (after I squeezed in a round of golf).

It isn't the most user friendly or intuitive but i managed to create some maps and a couple scenarios.

There was quite a bit of trial and error but it is doable.

Attachments
COH_Screenshot_000.jpg
COH_Screenshot_000.jpg (318.89 KiB) Viewed 232 times
When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-wor ... =bookmarks
ericbabe

Post by ericbabe »

Glad to see you were able to put a firefight together. What were some of the trickier things to figure out? Maybe we can improve the documentation in these areas.
Angiel

Post by Angiel »

I created a small scenarios but I have a problem.
How do I, with the editor, to turn the unit I just placed? [&:]

thanks Angiel

Ok, I solved.....[:)]
Jamm

Post by Jamm »

I think the biggest problem was not being able to access map while designing scenario.

Can overcome this by writing down key hex grids on paper.

Inputting the hex template and color palette from the game made parsing the input maps simple.

Now I'm off to design larger maps with linked firefights (campaign style with carried over units)

PS - love the game
When the going gets weird,... the weird turn pro
Hunter S Thompson

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Jamm-wor ... =bookmarks
Titanwarrior89

Post by Titanwarrior89 »

Were is the link for the editor guys?
"Before Guadalcanal the enemy advanced at his pleasure. After Guadalcanal, he retreated at ours".

"Mama, There's Rabbits in the Garden"
JR5555

Post by JR5555 »

ORIGINAL: Titanwarrior89

Were is the link for the editor guys?

Its a program outside of the game, so its hard to see. When you first load up the game there is a screen that says play Conflict Of Heroes, below that it says "Scenario Editor", click that..

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”