Question about house rule

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ckammp

RE: Question about house rule

Post by ckammp »

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

ORIGINAL: ckammp

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

No, these are the kinds of standard game allowable tactics that make it possible for the Allies to stand up to the heavily overpowered Japanese side that is ahistorically capable of conquering ALL of China, or ALL of India or MOST of Australia. [:-]

Try learning a bit more about the game before you start accusing others of unrealistic game tactics. No side abounds with more ahistorially allowable game tactics than the Japanese side.....can anyone say "invasion bonus"? [8|]

Please show an example of a Scenario 01 game in which Japan has conquered all of China, India, and most of Australia. For that matter, show an example of a Scenario 02 game in which Japan has done that.

Excusing a player's gamey tactics merely to defend your own use of gamey tactics speaks volumes about your character, and about your abilities as a player.

Try learning a bit about tactics and strategy, and how to properly employ them in the game, before blaming the game for your poor play.

Grow up you childish POS. I merely defended the gameplay of some one else. For you to make assumptions regarding my game play based on that is about as childish as it gets. I've been wargaming for longer than you have probably been alive and certainly don't have any need whatsoever to prove myself to the likes of you. If you had a bit more longevity on this forum you might have had the oppurtunity to witness the MANY games where China is conquered and the MANY games where India is conquered. Try defending your attacks on the gameplay of others with something more credible than mudslinging.

Name-calling? Yeah, that's so adult.[8|]

You did not merely "defend" another player's choice to use gamey tactics, you acknowledged you do the same. At the same time, you displayed your obvious lack of strategic wargaming ability by decring AE as a game having an impossible-to-defeat-without-cheating Japan. Again, try using actual sound strategies and tactics without cheating; you will be surprised at just how easy it is for the Allies to defeat the "heavily overpowered japanese side".

About my age, you have absolutely no idea how old I am, nor how long I have been playing wargames. Frankly, I don't see what difference it makes, but I will say you have already proven much about your character and wargaming abilities to me. And I am not impressed.

As to how long I have been a member of Matrix Games forums, I don't believe that I am the only member to have read these forums for a long time, even years, before becoming an active member. I realize that concept might be beyond your comprehension level, so I will try to make my next point as simple as possible:

My "official" join date - 30 May 2009
WitP AE release date - 27 July 2009

Note that I was "officially" here before AE was released; thus I have, in fact, "had the oppurtunity to witness" EVERY AAR ever written in the AE forums. And while there are some that do feature Japanese coquests of China, or India, or Australia, they are, IMO, usually due to grossly mis-matched opponents or to flagrant use of gamey tactics, not because Japan is ahistorically overpowered. At any rate, they are hardly the norm.

Finally, if you had bothered to actually read the whole thread, you would have seen that the person to whom I was referring had asked whether or not the changing of the AVG's HQ was gamey. Several other posters said no, I said yes. That was not an attack on his gameplay, simply an expressed opinion on his gameplay. You took it upon yourself to start the mudslinging and name-calling.
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

Get a room you two....

Now as for the original subject.. He used a game mechanic that is available. If you did not agree on a houserule on it he is not cheating IMO. He actually made a very reasonable decision in setting a huge CAP while unloading 18th brit. division. If you do not have the assets in place to stop him from doing that you should simply think about other ways of getting to those troops..

Lock down Rangoon? Use sweeps to destroy AVG? He has only limited replacement aircraft. So you lose 30 or even 40 oscars.. So what? You knock out those fighters and gain AS in Burma...

Play the game, if you aren't winning think of something else..
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
KenchiSulla

Post by KenchiSulla »

ORIGINAL: armin

With one of my opponenets we have rule to pay pp for transfering units across borders.

He did not cross a national border. He simply unrestricted the AVG. If you do not want him to do that, agree on a new houserule..
AKA Cannonfodder

"It happened, therefore it can happen again: this is the core of what we have to say. It can happen, and it can happen everywhere.”
¯ Primo Levi, writer, holocaust survivor
PaxMondo

Post by PaxMondo »

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

With one of my opponenets we have rule to pay pp for transfering units across borders.

He did not cross a national border. He simply unrestricted the AVG. If you do not want him to do that, agree on a new houserule..
+1

As a couple of us have already said, you may not have a suitable opponent for you. You seem to be taking offense to some of his moves.

Having said that, I would play your opponent. So far he hasn't done anything I would find gamey at all. In fact, he's done a couple of standard moves (re-assign AVG) and at least one novel move (attack Truk). Good Job ALF1.
Pax
JocMeister

Post by JocMeister »

PaxMondo

Having said that, I would play your opponent. So far he hasn't done anything I would find gamey at all. In fact, he's done a couple of standard moves (re-assign AVG) and at least one novel move (attack Truk). Good Job ALF1.

Agreed!
armin

Post by armin »

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

+1

As a couple of us have already said, you may not have a suitable opponent for you. You seem to be taking offense to some of his moves.

Well Alf1 is currently looking for opponent so you may start game with him and write AAR. Im quite sure it will be very interesting one to read.
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Nothing gamey at all about ALF1's moves. Just smart play.

There are effective counters available to the Japanese for all of these moves:

AVG: Sweep them with Zeros, and bomb the airbase at Rangoon (instead of the crap AKs in the port). The AVG P-40s, whatever their designation, has no replacements, so losses are permanent. Atrrite them, and they will go away.

B-17s: 1. Take Rabaul. 2. Don't park valuable ships within B-17 range of any Size-2 or greater Allied base; that's about 20 hexes. 3. In the DEI, LRCAP your troops he is bombing. B-17s are very tough to shoot down, but the achilles heel for those is that a) They are difficult to repair, and most Allied bases in early 42 lack adequate facilities to do so, and b) there are few replacements. Soerbaya has enough air support, but the Allies do not have any way to prevent you from bombing Soerbaya. If you damage the airstrip, B-17s will start to take alot of OPS damage, and struggle to repair it.

HQs: I don't see the problem here; the only gamey issue around HQs is spending discounted PPs to change to an HQ within the same Restricted HQ, then buying the HQ; this reduces the PP spend quite a bit, but is generally considered gamey. It's actually less gamey to buy a unit to an HQ that is not on the map, because it prevents this workaround.
armin

Post by armin »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Nothing gamey at all about ALF1's moves. Just smart play.

There are effective counters available to the Japanese for all of these moves:

AVG: Sweep them with Zeros, and bomb the airbase at Rangoon (instead of the crap AKs in the port). The AVG P-40s, whatever their designation, has no replacements, so losses are permanent. Atrrite them, and they will go away.

B-17s: 1. Take Rabaul. 2. Don't park valuable ships within B-17 range of any Size-2 or greater Allied base; that's about 20 hexes. 3. In the DEI, LRCAP your troops he is bombing. B-17s are very tough to shoot down, but the achilles heel for those is that a) They are difficult to repair, and most Allied bases in early 42 lack adequate facilities to do so, and b) there are few replacements. Soerbaya has enough air support, but the Allies do not have any way to prevent you from bombing Soerbaya. If you damage the airstrip, B-17s will start to take alot of OPS damage, and struggle to repair it.

HQs: I don't see the problem here; the only gamey issue around HQs is spending discounted PPs to change to an HQ within the same Restricted HQ, then buying the HQ; this reduces the PP spend quite a bit, but is generally considered gamey. It's actually less gamey to buy a unit to an HQ that is not on the map, because it prevents this workaround.

However i canceled the game there is no point to talk about it anymore.

The AVG group was realy no problem (but i do not agree with the hq stuff) he conviniently just posted first battle report. The planes he used had service rating 3 and after 3rd raid my bombing group was not engaged by single aircraft.

For Rabaul and MO i need KB, It was busy near borneo where he was mnoving with B around from base to base and bombing landing forces. The cap from mainland cant reach to borneo and the invasion force needs to have more engineers with av to operate squadrons from local fields efficiently. He was moving bombers around in december 41. Thats why i say avoiding the realistical hq approach sucks. Becouse normaly he would need to pay pp each time he would move them. If you just assign units to some future hq you can move now unrestricted group anywhere each second day completly disregarding any reality and you pay for it only once. For example bombers with 20-22 range can switch bases each second day and good luck getting there with TF that has range 8 per day. Imagine having 3 airfields in triangle each around 20-40 hexes in distance Yo would need 2 bs heavy fleets and one kb or split kb to 3 small parts to instantly lock down all airfields and still the unrestricted bombers could make it out before the fleets would arrive. Future HQ are just way how to exploit the pp system.

The truk bombardment i agree with you fully i should move ships deeper to my space.

Everyone completly misses the point about the game time period. This was not done in some advanced time but all in december 41. Thats why i canceled the game at the start and asked for advice if i should continue at first place.

Dan Nichols

Post by Dan Nichols »

Why do you think he would or should pay PPs every time he moves an air group? He can just assign them to an unrestricted HQ that is present and move them where ever he wants.
I think that the two obligations you have are to be good at what you do and then to pass on your knowledge to a younger person
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Well don't cha know, gameyness is defined by the IJ losing a CV in port to a port attack in Jan 42

:D
ALF1

Post by ALF1 »

[/quote]

However i canceled the game there is no point to talk about it anymore.

The AVG group was realy no problem (but i do not agree with the hq stuff) he conviniently just posted first battle report. The planes he used had service rating 3 and after 3rd raid my bombing group was not engaged by single aircraft.
Sorry armin you are doing again assumption without reality really behind , I will post picture of all 4 sqadron involved over Rangoon. Your planes were not engaged after by single aircraft is becouse that there was not any reason to loose my aircaft to your sweeps and raids - I mean division was already unloaded and all ships were on way back. For your info , your first raid come when division was 90% unloaded-too late. I play long enough to now that I should save my plane only for reason I will need them. So they were back deep and in training process again [:)]

For Rabaul and MO i need KB, It was busy near borneo where he was mnoving with B around from base to base and bombing landing forces. The cap from mainland cant reach to borneo and the invasion force needs to have more engineers with av to operate squadrons from local fields efficiently. He was moving bombers around in december 41. Thats why i say avoiding the realistical hq approach sucks. Becouse normaly he would need to pay pp each time he would move them. If you just assign units to some future hq you can move now unrestricted group anywhere each second day completly disregarding any reality and you pay for it only once. For example bombers with 20-22 range can switch bases each second day and good luck getting there with TF that has range 8 per day. Imagine having 3 airfields in triangle each around 20-40 hexes in distance Yo would need 2 bs heavy fleets and one kb or split kb to 3 small parts to instantly lock down all airfields and still the unrestricted bombers could make it out before the fleets would arrive. Future HQ are just way how to exploit the pp system.

The truk bombardment i agree with you fully i should move ships deeper to my space.

Everyone completly misses the point about the game time period. This was not done in some advanced time but all in december 41. Thats why i canceled the game at the start and asked for advice if i should continue at first place.

[/quote]
ALF1

Post by ALF1 »

AVG1

Attachments
AVG1.jpg
AVG1.jpg (17.85 KiB) Viewed 91 times
ALF1

Post by ALF1 »

AVG 2

Attachments
AVG2.jpg
AVG2.jpg (18.1 KiB) Viewed 91 times
ALF1

Post by ALF1 »

AVG 3

Attachments
AVG 3.jpg
AVG 3.jpg (18.43 KiB) Viewed 91 times
ALF1

Post by ALF1 »

buffalo

So in total over Rangoon 27 japs killed: 15 allied aircraft destroyed (any pilot killed/4 wounded)

in this time (december 41) not so bad for UK. And again this "battle over Rangoon" was only becouse the transport of UK division to Rangoon.

Biggest looses were when I already LRCAPed transport ships heading from Rangoon ( 2 hexes away) and they were recalled back over Rangoon - and this "recalling" is not possible to control in game ( at least based on my knowledge-if you know please let me know, at least I will learn something from this discussion)

Morning Air attack on Rangoon , at 54,53
Weather in hex: Heavy rain
Raid spotted at 40 NM, estimated altitude 29,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 13 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-43-Ia Oscar x 22
Ki-43-Ib Oscar x 38
Ki-43-Ic Oscar x 12

Allied aircraft
H81-A3 x 62
Buffalo I x 7

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-43-Ib Oscar: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
H81-A3: 4 destroyed

Aircraft Attacking:
22 x Ki-43-Ia Oscar sweeping at 25000 feet
6 x Ki-43-Ib Oscar sweeping at 25000 feet
2 x Ki-43-Ic Oscar sweeping at 25000 feet
10 x Ki-43-Ib Oscar sweeping at 25000 feet

CAP engaged:
AVG/1st Sqn with H81-A3 (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 3 scrambling)
8 plane(s) not yet engaged, 7 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 29000 and 33000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 38 minutes
AVG/2nd Sqn with H81-A3 (0 airborne, 6 on standby, 6 scrambling)
9 plane(s) not yet engaged, 5 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 29000 and 35000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 36 minutes
AVG/3rd Sqn with H81-A3 (0 airborne, 5 on standby, 0 scrambling)
4 plane(s) not yet engaged, 3 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 29000 and 32000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 38 minutes
No.67 Sqn RAF with Buffalo I (0 airborne, 0 on standby, 0 scrambling)
3 plane(s) not yet engaged, 4 being recalled, 0 out of immediate contact.
Group patrol altitude is 29000 , scrambling fighters between 29000 and 30000.
Time for all group planes to reach interception is 26 minutes

But anyway in my point of view this story over Rangoon was absolutely not important in our game. There were other action important but I do not want blame Armin in front of other people - I wish him good opponent matching to him.

His reason for closing the game is for me strange - he wants in fact not to allowe change the airfield with unrestricted squadron because on second ( or third airfield) this squadron will operate under different HQ ( you can not same HQ in two airfield in same time:-). I newer saw this request by other people - but again I did not play with too many people during my 3 year daily playing becouse I newer close the game for any reason and I prefer to continue the game if possible - becouse I am spending extreme long time with each turn - and I regret this time to close the game. ( For my former opponent Dali ther is different story - I should excuse him I use jap R&D in that time to the limit - which is not really fair ).

This is last post to this topic - thx a lot for everybody point of view and time. I made for me conclusion ,from all posts, that I made nothing unfair in this game.

Bye ALF
Attachments
buffalo 4.jpg
buffalo 4.jpg (17.96 KiB) Viewed 91 times
Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

I don't see anything gamey about either the Rangoon CAP or the B-17s striking Truk.

Unconventional - yes

Risky - yes

Ahistorical - yes

Impossible/unrealistic/gamey - no

However, I do have a problem with the issue that hasn't been discussed much - sending single ships (presumably xAKLs or xAKs) out in front of higher-value TFs to absorb enemy air sorties or SCTF ammo. I refuse to use this technique to draw away enemy air attacks or to suck up SCTF ammo as it takes advantage of a couple of shortcomings of the game engine - it can't properly prioritize air attacks and it unloads too much high-priority ammo (torpedoes and BB/CA main battery) on meaningless ships. Now, sending a substantial diversionary TF out in front of a main body to draw the enemy out - like the Shoho at Coral Sea -that's okay.

I only play against the AI (not enough time to commit to a PBEM yet) and even against the AI, I don't stoop to this tactic. And, if I were to play a PBEM and my opponent tried this tactic, it would be the end of the game. I'd refuse to continue. (On the other hand, it probably would never be an issue, because I would be clear about establishing a HR against it and would be certain my opponent realized how strongly I felt about it.)
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

However, I do have a problem with the issue that hasn't been discussed much - sending single ships (presumably xAKLs or xAKs) out in front of higher-value TFs to absorb enemy air sorties or SCTF ammo

Its worse than this in my limited experince .. single ship TF's really can bork the engine causing BB SAF TF's to spend ops and run away rather than even engage ... Just add an additional ship seems to change the behavior ...
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
scout1

Post by scout1 »

I've exclusively played the Japanese side ......

Relative to your moves/approach ..... my compliments ..... Nothing gamey there
Grfin Zeppelin

Post by Grfin Zeppelin »

Hmmm I sense SCL syndrome. Well played and in my book not gamey at all.

Icedawg

Post by Icedawg »

ORIGINAL: Gräfin Zeppelin

Hmmm I sense SCL syndrome. Well played and in my book not gamey at all.

SCL? What's that?

Return to “The War Room”