Is there a way to speed up constructors?

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: elliotg, Icemania

jpwrunyan

Is there a way to speed up constructors?

Post by jpwrunyan »

I have been meaning to ask:
Is there a way to speed up the construction speed of constructor ships by adding more component fabricators and/or construction yards?

I assume that since a construction ship only builds one thing at a time, multiple construction yards are meaningless. What if I add more component fabricators?

Also, what exactly affects the speed of repairing stations and damaged spacecraft? It appears that when building a new station, the constructor needs to pick up resources. But to make repairs it does not need to pick up anything. Is that really whats happening?!
Kayoz

RE: Is there a way to speed up constructors?

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan
I have been meaning to ask:
Is there a way to speed up the construction speed of constructor ships by adding more component fabricators and/or construction yards?

I assume that since a construction ship only builds one thing at a time, multiple construction yards are meaningless. What if I add more component fabricators?

No, one yard, one of each type of manufacturing plant on the construction ship is all that applies. Multiple plants won't help.

tm.asp?m=3096095
ORIGINAL: jpwrunyan
Also, what exactly affects the speed of repairing stations and damaged spacecraft? It appears that when building a new station, the constructor needs to pick up resources. But to make repairs it does not need to pick up anything. Is that really whats happening?!

I'm not certain, but repairing derelict ships does not seem to require resources. The repair speed is based on how many components need to be repaired and how long the defined manufacturing time of each is set at - but resources aren't required or consumed in the repair process. The only exception I am aware of is the World Destroyer derelict ship type, which does require resources - and thus a trip to a port, and visits from freighters.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

I've had constructors need to pick up resources for repairs other than the World Destroyer on occasion. Usually it's when they run out of resources on a build job and I get tired of waiting for a supply freighter to arrive so I cancel the job. They then have the option to "repair" the rest of the job, so go to pick up the missing resources to do so. Perhaps not really the same situation as a damage repair job, though.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

That is an interesting tip! I will keep it in mind next time that happens to me!
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

ORIGINAL: Bebop Cola
I've had constructors need to pick up resources for repairs other than the World Destroyer on occasion.
You have? I've only seen them do this when dealing with an incomplete base (including World Destroyer and some derelict bases, such as abandoned space ports in asteroid fields). For repairs - of damaged/derelict ships and for bases which I own but are damaged, I have never seen them do this.
Usually it's when they run out of resources on a build job and I get tired of waiting for a supply freighter to arrive so I cancel the job. They then have the option to "repair" the rest of the job, so go to pick up the missing resources to do so. Perhaps not really the same situation as a damage repair job, though.
As a word of caution to jpwrunyan, there is the definite risk that a construction ship from another faction will slide in and start working on the project while yours is away picking up supplies. I only use this trick if I have a space port very close - or I'm prepared to deal with the consequences of shooting up the intruder.
“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens
Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

ORIGINAL: Kayoz
I've had constructors need to pick up resources for repairs other than the World Destroyer on occasion.
You have? I've only seen them do this when dealing with an incomplete base (including World Destroyer and some derelict bases, such as abandoned space ports in asteroid fields). For repairs - of damaged/derelict ships and for bases which I own but are damaged, I have never seen them do this.
Yeah, as I said in the next sentence it's usually when they're repairing an incomplete base. Maybe not quite the same thing so it might be a trivial thing to mention, but I thought it might be helpful to point out that additional construction can also be handled as a "repair" job.

I'm not sure I understand why you felt the need to break that statement in half like that.
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

I'm not sure I understand why you felt the need to break that statement in half like that.
It was for the benefit of the OP. There are two issues:
    [b]1.[/b] Some projects (WD, derelict space ports, incomplete bases) require trips to a port (and freighters) to pick up supplies. There is no benefit to doing this for most derelict objects he runs across. [b]2.[/b] Canceling WD construction carries the risk of another faction coming in during the absence.

I thought it would make it more explicit that there are two issues he should be aware of.
Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

It was for the benefit of the OP. There are two issues:
    [b]1.[/b] Some projects (WD, derelict space ports, incomplete bases) require trips to a port (and freighters) to pick up supplies. There is no benefit to doing this for most derelict objects he runs across.
Right, which is why I pointed it out. The "repair" job on a World Destroyer isn't really a repair at all, it's a construction job like an incomplete base. It's a bit of a side issue, really, but interesting to point out that the interaction with the WD is construction, not repair, despite what the option says.

It helps to understand why resources are needed for the WD where repairing the derelict ships near it do not. If it seems slow, that's likely because it has stalled from lack of resources, not necessarily because there are a lot of complex components to repair. If freighters aren't paying regular visits, which they seem to fail to do all to often, then it is likely a good idea to stop the job and re-queue it so the constructor flits off to pick up needed supplies.
2. Canceling WD construction carries the risk of another faction coming in during the absence.[/ul]
That should be a little obvious, don't you think? [;)]
Kayoz

Post by Kayoz »

That should be a little obvious, don't you think? [;)]

I accept your criticism. In my defense, I must say that I've dealt with far too many illiterate managers (one IT company VP actually complained that my use of the word "mitigate" made my document difficult to understand) to take for granted that what I write is actually understood. Laying out my key points in bullet-pointed lists has become a habit.

The pointy-haired boss is real.
Bebop Cola

Post by Bebop Cola »

Fair enough.

I've been fortunate to have worked primarily with good managers. That said, I just had a conversation today with my father who described the CIO of the company he's working for. The guy threw a fit and locked all the IT staff out of the data center because he found an empty coffee cup in there, then proceeded to try to push for the data center to be shut down and moved with just two week's notice. Luckily it was put off when the plan managed to leak out of his inner circle to the factories that it would impact, being a mission critical file and print center...

So, yes, the pointy-haired boss is definitely real.
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

Guys, what I was taking away as a "tip" was the fact I could stake out a planet in nuetral space by having my constructor go there, start the construction, then push stop to make him run off and build the next thing in queue. The reason for this is to nab scenic spots and research spots before the ai, while not waiting for these lower priority construction jobs to finish before building mining bases elsewhere. After the higher priority jobs finish, I could go back and "repair" my unfinished resorts and research stations. A minor thing, and exploitative, but man the mechanoids are grabby. I hate them. I HATE THEM SO MUCH!

It is a workaround for my construction speed issues.

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”