Stopping the Red Horde at the Dnepr - sj80 (Axis) vs Blubel (Sovjet) - Blubel welcome

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

sj80

Stopping the Red Horde at the Dnepr - sj80 (Axis) vs Blubel (Sovjet) - Blubel welcome

Post by sj80 »

Yesterday I discovered an open Server Game "Decision in the Ukraine" of Blubel. I didn't ask him if I can write an AAR. But he mentioned that he likes my other AAR, so here we go. [:)] Blubel don't hesitate to write comments!

OKH gave strict orders that the Dnepr line has to be hold at all costs and retreating is forbidden! [:@] Furthermore OKH promises sending more troops to help the brave defenders.

The current state of my troops is really bad, most inf units are much below 50%. But a bunch of Panzer / Panzergrenadier units are available, they will act as "Frontfeuerwehr" (frontline firefighters) and eliminate every Sovjet breakthrough.

I set most SUs to 50% max TOE to prevent them from eating all replacements, hopefully his will help my poor units.

Here is the overview of Axis turn 3.

Attachments
AxisT3.jpg
AxisT3.jpg (470.61 KiB) Viewed 93 times
glvaca

RE: Stopping the Red Horde at the Dnepr - sj80 (Axis) vs Blubel (Sovjet) - Blubel welcome

Post by glvaca »

Good luck Sebastian!
sj80

RE: Stopping the Red Horde at the Dnepr - sj80 (Axis) vs Blubel (Sovjet) - Blubel welcome

Post by sj80 »

Hey Glenn, thanks! I'm still waiting for your turn. [;)]

Back to the game. The Sovjets attacked the Dnepr line north-west of D-town in several places and forced 2 retreats. But they didn't cross the Dnepr, maybe to few movement points. The area west of the Dnepr is still complete controlled by Axis. The most pressure is south of Z-town, here he pushes very hard.

With turn 4 mud arrives and gives me time to reorg my defenses and create better fortifications.
OKH ordered to create 2 mobile reserve PzCorps. One PzCorps to defend the Dnepr line and the other PzCorps to slow the Sovjets south of Z-town.
Furthermore all units in level 2 forts at Dnepr riverbanks are set to static mode to minimize their attriction losses. Yes, it is a bit risky without a good amount of Admin Points. My adjustments on SU TOE settings seems to work now, 3/4 of the replacements went to normal units.
Furthermore I'm unsure about crimera. Defend land bridges or only defend Sevastopol ... hmm. Any tips?

I forgot to check the weather settings before accepting the game. [8|] So Blubel, I think we play with non-random weather, or?

Here is the area on German turn 4 south of Z-town.

Attachments
AxisT4.jpg
AxisT4.jpg (126.36 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Blubel

Post by Blubel »

Yes, its non-random weather.
Great counterattacks! I thought I would be able to keep the bridgehead the second time...
The Red Army also starts the game in terrible shape. It's way different from what you would have in late 43 in a campaign game. Most Rifle Corps and Tank Corps are around 50%. The game starts with 0 Sapper Regiments and has nothing attached to the Rifle Corps. Someone also should have told the guy building the (real) Red Army, that there are things your simply do not build. AT-Brigades and (lots) of Sapper Battalions for example.
The scenario is great fun.
sj80

Axis Turn 5

Post by sj80 »

The Sovjets gave as us an early christmas preset with moving back most good units (for rest and refit?) and offering nice counterattack possibilities. [:D] With that attacks Germany could re establish the front line at the Molochna river ... the fate of the southern front is decided at this tiny river. Masses of Sovjet units are sitting est of Molochna.
The mud offers my troops a much needed break, but I'm afraid of the winter with frozen rivers. The major order for the German troops is to dig faster, two shovels in front and one shovel in back.

Hey Blubel, the bad state of your forces should simulate the hard fighting all summer after Kursk offensive actions. It's makes me pleased to know that your forces are not perfect organized and equipped with not the best SUs. [:)] The morale level of my forces is good, but the TOE is only around 50%. I've many SUs including StuG IIIG and Tiger tank units available.
Axis troops are preparing for the final strike to smash the Red Army and drive over Stalino towards Stalingrad and then turn north to Moscow. Maybe this message is 90% truth and 10% propaganda. [:D]

Attachments
AxisT5.jpg
AxisT5.jpg (243.27 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Vorsteher

RE: Axis Turn 5

Post by Vorsteher »

is the bug with the german 14. Pzd. on turn 8 fixed ?
sj80

Post by sj80 »

Hey Vorsteher, du meinst die Positionierung der 14. Panzerdiv? Ich sage dir Bescheid, wenn das Spiel Runde 8 erreicht.

Ich lese im Moment das Buch "Erinnerung an die Tiger-Abteilung 503: Die schwere Panzerabteilung 503 an den Brennpunkten der Front in Ost und West" und bin gerade im Abschnitt über den Rückzug zum Dnepr. Sehr gutes Buch, man fühlt die Verzweiflung der Soldaten im Herbst 1943 und deren Hoffnung auf die ultimative Verteidungslinie am Dnepr. Der Rückzug zum Dnepr war wohl eine strategische Meisterleistung von Manstein, aber Hitler hatte ein frühzeitiges Ausbauen der Stellungen verboten und somit konnten die Sovjets den Fluss leicht überschreiten. Das ist zumindest die Sicht der Soldaten der 503. schweren Panzerabteilung.
Blubel

Post by Blubel »

Yes, most of the better Corps are on rest and refit. You will also be happy to hear that the Red Army now features dozens of full strength Sapper Regiments, which will join the Rifle and Tank Corps during mud. Nothing to be done about the C&C chaos. But I'll try to hold you west of the Mius nevertheless.
I've also started a game as Germans against Gids. The situation for the Germans is quite desperate. One failed younterattack can burn your whole repacement pool for the next turn.

As for books, I'm reading Melvins Manstein at the moment and like it quite a bit.
Vorsteher

Post by Vorsteher »

Das Szenario ist hervorragend. Aber das Nichtauftauchen der 14.PD ist eine Schwächung, die das gesamte Szenario beeinflusst. Daher hatte ich mein Spiel abgebrochen.
Joel Billings

Post by Joel Billings »

The fix for the 14th Panzer has been delivered to Matrix and should be out soon with the next public beta or official release. Glad to see an AAR of this scenario. I think this and the Drama on the Danube are great 2 player scenarios that give players a chance to experience the later war battles without having to play 2-3 years through a grand campaign.
All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard
sj80

Post by sj80 »

Hey Joel, thanks for your comments! Yes, Decision in the Ukraine is a really thrilling scenario. I didn't get any partisan attacks the last 12 turns. Are partisans disabled for this scenario?

The game has progressed very good and is now at turn 12. But the AAR is a way behind. Here is a complete map of Axis turn 8 (12. November 1943) with fort levels. This is the first snow turn in the game. All quiet at the Dnepr line, the inf units are digging like crazy. Very strong Axis forces are deployed south of Z-town. Blubel hesitates to attack these strong units and he will wait for blizzard with frozen rivers before crossing the Dnepr. Hmm, I'm not sure if this is the right strategy at victory point accumulation per turn and city.

I know that the Axis side is the defender, but I couldn't resist and started some attacks in the south and routed some weak Sovjet units. [:)] The strong Sovjet corps units are located more behind the frontline.
The Axis strength is slowly increasing. Most inf units are static and the attriction losses are low. Last turn I set all Panzer/Panzergrenadier divs to refit for 1 turn to make them ready for heavy combat!

Attachments
AxisT8.jpg
AxisT8.jpg (563.8 KiB) Viewed 93 times

Return to “After Action Reports”