Lunacy on the net, forums, company

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

rodney727

RE: Lunacy on the net, forums, company

Post by rodney727 »

Yes the two schools that hate each other the most is Ohio State and Michigan followed closely by Iowa and Minnesota . It all started back 1889.
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

So football aside - is there any general inter state rivalry? If so, between whom?

Yes. There's a particularly strong one between Wisconsin and Minnesota. Not being a local, it's somewhat amusing. Gross and abjectly unfair generalizations follow:

Minnesotans look upon Wisconsinites as being rustic, beer-swilling hicks, whilest viewing themselves as urbane sophisticates.

Wisconsinites look upon Minnesotans as being poseur urbane sophisticates, whilest viewing themselves as 'salt of the earth' Midwesterners.

Minnesotans look upon Iowans as corn pone hicks without a shred of cultural diversity. Iowans look upon Minnesotans as poseur urbane sophisticates and perhaps ingrates for the low cost of production borne by Iowa's stunning commodity production.

In reality, they all get along pretty well. It's like brothers finding *something* (anything will do) to pick on the other about. You know that they've got your back when you really need it though.

Don't get me started on California... [:D]

Most of the other states have regional or interstate rivalries of some sort too. I suspect that all countries have such regional 'personalities'. I can only imagine the perceived differences between the Welsh, Scots, N. Irish and English. [X(]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

ORIGINAL: nate25

The stench of Ann Arbor, Michigan can be picked out even as far south as Middletown, Ohio. [;)]
How can you differentiate it from the perpetual stench of Cleveland, Columbus or Cincinnati? [&:]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

So football aside - is there any general inter state rivalry? If so, between whom?

Yes. There's a particularly strong one between Wisconsin and Minnesota. Not being a local, it's somewhat amusing. Gross and abjectly unfair generalizations follow:

Minnesotans look upon Wisconsinites as being rustic, beer-swilling hicks, whilest viewing themselves as urbane sophisticates.

Wisconsinites look upon Minnesotans as being poseur urbane sophisticates, whilest viewing themselves as 'salt of the earth' Midwesterners.

Minnesotans look upon Iowans as corn pone hicks without a shred of cultural diversity. Iowans look upon Minnesotans as poseur urbane sophisticates and perhaps ingrates for the low cost of production borne by Iowa's stunning commodity production.

In reality, they all get along pretty well. It's like brothers finding *something* (anything will do) to pick on the other about. You know that they've got your back when you really need it though.

Most of the other states have regional or interstate rivalries of some sort too. I suspect that all countries have such regional 'personalities'. I can only imagine the perceived differences between the Welsh, Scots, N. Irish and English. [X(]
Warspite1

I guess its the same the world over. We have the rivalry between the four countries, then Celts vs English, Catholic vs Protestants, Scots vs Irish, English North vs South, Scots Highlanders and Lowlanders, Yorkshire vs Lancashire, Cornwall (sorry Kernow) vs everyone, blah blah blah. Most of it is good natured and we all rub along, but sadly not all [:(]
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
wodin

Post by wodin »

ORIGINAL: rogo727

Sorry wodin! American humor didn't mean to get this off topic!

Lunacy, so it's not off topic;)
nate25

Post by nate25 »

The first step is to determine the stenchosity of Crookston, Duluth, and Twin Cities, and then subtract by a factor of 10. [8D]
I have a subtle and cunning plan.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

The first step is to determine the stenchosity of Crookston, Duluth, and Twin Cities, and then subtract by a factor of 10. [8D]
Warspite1

May I congratulate you on the use of the word "stenchosity" natester [&o]

nate25

Post by nate25 »

Warspite1

May I congratulate you on the use of the word "stenchosity" natester [&o]

Thanks, W1. It's a commonly used Minnsodan term used in conjunction with "stinkability" and "odorful", When describing their main campus and the satellite campus towns.

Poor sods, they know no better so they just make them up at times. [8|]
rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Warspite1

I guess its the same the world over. We have the rivalry between the four countries, then Celts vs English, Catholic vs Protestants, Scots vs Irish, English North vs South, Scots Highlanders and Lowlanders, Yorkshire vs Lancashire, Cornwall (sorry Kernow) vs everyone, blah blah blah. Most of it is good natured and we all rub along, but sadly not all [:(]
English north vs English south? Are the north people better,smarter and generally better looking than their southern brothers?
"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Warspite1

English north vs English south? Are the north people better,smarter and generally better looking than their southern brothers?
Warspite1

(splutters into his tea) er no - it's the other way around you cheeky $%^& [:)]

rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

Lol W1 :)
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Warspite1

Yes-I'm interested to know if the same holds true in England as it does here in the states. I'd use Minnesota and Iowa as an example that proves this rule here stateside, for example.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I see. As usual, you English bedwetting types have got things all backwards.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I see. As usual, you English bedwetting types have got things all backwards.
Warspite1

Why you picking on me CB - I haven't wet the bed for weeks....

rodney727

Post by rodney727 »

I will give you one example W1. In Des Moines the capital of Iowa there are several captured Missouri and Mississippi regimental flags. These are the property of Iowa. Missouri actually went to court to get them back that was ten years ago and the end result is Iowa still has the Missouri flags. So yes there is plenty rivalry still going on in the states
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

I will give you one example W1. In Des Moines the capital of Iowa there are several captured Missouri and Mississippi regimental flags. These are the property of Iowa. Missouri actually went to court to get them back that was ten years ago and the end result is Iowa still has the Missouri flags. So yes there is plenty rivalry still going on in the states
Warspite1

They went to court?!? Wow... I'm with Iowa on that one.

nate25

Post by nate25 »

No flag that ever graced a Southern regiment belongs to a Yankee state. [;)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

No flag that ever graced a Southern regiment belongs to a Yankee state. [;)]
Warspite1

But isn't Iowa's case that they captured the regimental flag and men died doing so and are therefore they are entitled to keep it? Not taking sides here - it's not my beef - just trying to understand the argument.

nate25

Post by nate25 »

Of course you're right, W1 - just pride pinching a little. [:)]
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Of course you're right, W1 - just pride pinching a little. [:)]
Warspite1

I'm right? Really? Goodness! For years I've been trying to come up with a thought, with an opinion, with an idea, that someone - anyone - agreed with. Hussah [:D]

Return to “General Discussion”