SS Pampanito

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

CaptDave

RE: SS Pampanito

Post by CaptDave »

And, of course, Bowfin is at Pearl Harbor and Drum is in Mobile.
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

And don't forget Patriot's Point, across the river from Chaleston SC (which has a bit history all its own). There is CV10, the Midway Class 'Yorktown'; and USS Laffey, DD724, a Sumner Class DD.
I often wondered why even Adm. Halsey couldn't save the Big 'E'. I suppose she was so beat up it wasn't worth the investment.
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

Not saving the Enterprise as a museum ship was one of the stupidest decisions that the USN has ever made.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

I'd bet that if she survived the post war era, it would be a toss-up 'tween 'Eterprise' and 'Constitution' for most venerated USN 'ladies'.
mikkey

Post by mikkey »

nice pics, thanks for sharing Roger
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

ORIGINAL: steamboateng

And don't forget Patriot's Point, across the river from Chaleston SC (which has a bit history all its own). There is CV10, the Midway Class 'Yorktown'; and USS Laffey, DD724, a Sumner Class DD.
I often wondered why even Adm. Halsey couldn't save the Big 'E'. I suppose she was so beat up it wasn't worth the investment.

When I was a kid ('70s) we'd always vacation in Hilton Head, and one of the highlights was going up to Patriots Point to tour the Yorktown. It was a blast... one thing I noticed is that "now", all the compartments, knobs, valves, etc. are blocked off by that pexiglass... but back then it was free reign you could turn them all, touch stuff, etc. etc.

On one tour of the YorkTown my older brother and I went commando-ing to "find those Jap bastards that have boarded our ship" and we went through some "doors" into an area that hadn't been touched by the touch up crew. It was the bow of the boat and all rusty... there were a TON of papers lying around, and thus our anti-boarding mission turned into anb intelligence gathering mission. To this day, I have no idea what those papers lying around were, or what they meant, but they were old, I knew that.

And the tour was always topped off by a viewing of "The Fighting Lady".

Great memories!!!
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

Not saving the Enterprise as a museum ship was one of the stupidest decisions that the USN has ever made.

I tend to agree. Though it's been argued that tearing out the reactors destroys so much of the hull that it would be pointless to use as a museum ship, and too prohibitively expensive to repair into one.
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

Though it's been argued that tearing out the reactors destroys so much of the hull that

I'm sort of a literal fellow and can't always tell if someone is pulling my leg. So... are you joking? We're talking about CV-6, right? Not CV/CNV-65. CV-6 never had reactors. The only Yorktown class CV to survive the war, and apart from Ranger the only at-start US CV to survive the war. And they just -- abandoned her.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
pmelheck1

Post by pmelheck1 »

U.s.s. Cod from the street near by.

Attachments
216.jpg
216.jpg (254.12 KiB) Viewed 87 times
SuluSea

Post by SuluSea »

Great looking photos Roger, in Baltimore you have the John Brown liberty ship,

http://www.liberty-ship.com/html/vtour/photos.php  <<---Check the panoramics , view other pics on the site (some renactments) and you can buy tickets and cruise on this girl once a year. (I see now a few cruises)

USS Torsk SS-423 and USCG Cutter Taney which weathered the attack at Pearl.
"There’s no such thing as a bitter person who keeps the bitterness to himself.” ~ Erwin Lutzer
msieving1

Post by msieving1 »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

I'm glad I put 'last surviving' in my text, looks like there's a few contenders for that accolade actually.

Roger

I count 16 surviving WW2 submarines, including U-505 and one former US boat in Turkey.
-- Mark Sieving
jcjordan

Post by jcjordan »

There's also USS Drum in Mobile next to the BB Alabama. So there's a least a few good ones out there left. IIRC even U505 in Chicago for Uboats is still around
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

Though it's been argued that tearing out the reactors destroys so much of the hull that

I'm sort of a literal fellow and can't always tell if someone is pulling my leg. So... are you joking? We're talking about CV-6, right? Not CV/CNV-65. CV-6 never had reactors. The only Yorktown class CV to survive the war, and apart from Ranger the only at-start US CV to survive the war. And they just -- abandoned her.

Sorry. I was talking about the CVN. She's due to retire this year or the next and there's talk of converting her into a museum ship. Some are saying that would be fiscally and physically impractical because of the costs and resultant physical damage to the hull associated with removal of the reactors, and making the necessary repairs afterwards for conversion. I tend not to agree with that argument. Many years down the road many will look back and say "we should have converted the Enterprise"...

Reading your post I thought they had already come to a decision. Wrong boat...[:D]
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Treetop64

Sorry. I was talking about the CVN. She's due to retire this year or the next and there's talk of converting her into a museum ship. Some are saying that would be fiscally and physically impractical because of the costs and resultant physical damage to the hull associated with removal of the reactors, and making the necessary repairs afterwards for conversion. I tend not to agree with that argument. Many years down the road many will look back and say "we should have converted the Enterprise"...

Reading your post I thought they had already come to a decision. Wrong boat...[:D]

We have a trillion-five deficit. Take some pictures and move on . . .
The Moose
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

Just a few notes on the merchant ships:
The Liberty ships were built with 4-cylinder triple expansion reciprocating engines. They averaged about 11 knots. 'Large slow moving target' was an apt descrition for this class of vessel.
Victory ships came along later in the war, when US production was up to speed. These were larger and faster ships, equipped with geared steam turbine propusion; they came basicly in 2 flavors, the 6ooo hp ships could make 15 knots; the 8500 hp ships could make 17 knots. There is an operating Victory ship in the Tampa area, that a retired Cheif Engineer freind of mine voluteers his spare time on. Sorry........ the ship's name escapes me at the moment.
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

SS American Victory.
TSCofield

Post by TSCofield »

The USS Saratoga survived the war. You are right though, one of those two ships should have been saved. The sad part was that the Enterprise had support for preservation but had no one really step up financially to preserve her. Something like what the USS Olympia is going through right now.

Thomas S. Cofield
Feature Editor, SimHQ.com
t.co0field@comcast.net (stopped the SimHq mail since I get nothing but spam)
TSCofield

Post by TSCofield »

An interesting side note. USS Pampanito starred in the comedy "Down Periscope" (with Kelsey Grammer as her skipper) as the "USS Stingray." It is a very funny send-up of WW2 movies that rivals "Operation Petticoat." If you have not seen it you should.

I agree. Good flick, and funny. I understand that Pompanito was actually underway on her own power for some shots in that movie.
Funny how they make the nuke boat on tactical maneuvers while surfaced(!).

Actually she wasn't, she was towed for the at sea scenes. If you look closely you can see where the cable that towed her was attached. I'm not sure there are any Gato or Balao class subs that can still sail. It would be pretty costly keeping them in that kind of condition. Most have had access doors placed in their pressure hulls to allow visitors to see the boats and aren't seaworthy anymore because of it. If I remember right the Pampanito was chosen because she had just gone through an extensive restoration just prior to the movie and was close enough to be filmed.
Thomas S. Cofield
Feature Editor, SimHQ.com
t.co0field@comcast.net (stopped the SimHq mail since I get nothing but spam)
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

ORIGINAL: SimHq Tom Cofield

An interesting side note. USS Pampanito starred in the comedy "Down Periscope" (with Kelsey Grammer as her skipper) as the "USS Stingray." It is a very funny send-up of WW2 movies that rivals "Operation Petticoat." If you have not seen it you should.

I agree. Good flick, and funny. I understand that Pompanito was actually underway on her own power for some shots in that movie.
Funny how they make the nuke boat on tactical maneuvers while surfaced(!).

Actually she wasn't, she was towed for the at sea scenes. If you look closely you can see where the cable that towed her was attached. I'm not sure there are any Gato or Balao class subs that can still sail. It would be pretty costly keeping them in that kind of condition. Most have had access doors placed in their pressure hulls to allow visitors to see the boats and aren't seaworthy anymore because of it. If I remember right the Pampanito was chosen because she had just gone through an extensive restoration just prior to the movie and was close enough to be filmed.

That makes sense. It was years ago when I read about that but even then I was quite surprised, but I still bought it! [:'(][8|]
Mac Linehan

Post by Mac Linehan »

Roger -

Very nicely done!

Thank You, Sir!

Mac
LAV-25 2147

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”