Suggestions

This exciting new release is a faithful adaptation of the renowned Conflict of Heroes board game that won the Origins Historical Game of the Year, Charles Roberts Wargame of the Year and the James F. Dunnigan Design Elegance Award, as well as many others!

Designed and developed in cooperation with Uwe Eickert, the original designer of Conflict of Heroes, and Western Civlization Software, the award-winning computer wargame studio, no effort has been spared to bring the outstanding Conflict of Heroes gameplay to the computer. Conflict of Heroes includes an AI opponent as well as full multiplayer support with an integrated forum and game lobby. To remain true to the core gameplay of the board game, the PC version is designed to be fun, fast and easy to play, though hard to master. The game design is also historically accurate and teaches and rewards platoon and company-level combined arms tactics without overwhelming the player with rules.

Moderator: MOD_WestCiv

robc04_1

RE: Suggestions

Post by robc04_1 »

ORIGINAL: Lebatron

Part of the strategy of passing when your opponent does is to advance the round. If you are the defender and have to hold something for 5 rounds to win and your opponent passes for some reason you should make him pay the price. When I first played the board game against a stronger player I made this mistake a few times. So in fact it is critical to know when your opponent passes.

I don't have any experience with the boardgame, but I think I will disagree with your disagree (we can agree to disagree too [:)])! My reason is this, you would still see the message that the opponent took some unknown action. You know your opponent either performed an action out of your LOS, or passed. In your scenario above, the defender could take a gamble and pass too, hoping that the opponent did to move to the next round. So there is still the strategy, but you must also take a risk since you don't know for sure.

Now I understand this wouldn't be 100% true to the board game, but in my opinion this makes for a better computer game, taking advantage of the features that could be offered on the computer. I would also be more than happy if this behavior could be added as an option so each player could play in their preferred manner so we both could be happy. [:)]
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

Sure it could be made both ways to make everyone happy, but you don't seem to understand that knowing that your opponent passed is fundamental to this game. There are 3 actions players can perform for their turn. An action, a stall, or a pass. Actions and stalls could be hidden in fog, but not the pass. It's to important to be overlooked and not pondered upon. Since you said you have no prior experience with this game I can understand your idea. However, in this game advancing the round on your opponent when your opponent is trying to squeeze every little AP point out of his units on his terms is not something you just change willy nilly. He may pass thinking he can take better advantage at a latter time and you can respond with 'I don't think so' and pass on him. Making it a double pass and then the round is over. It's a very important part of the deep strategy this game offers. You may not see it yet because, as you point out, you're new to the game, but from us vets of CoH you can take it from us that it is a very fundamental aspect of the game. Playing the passing game is a key part of CoH. At least under the original AP system it is. And once it's really working properly I expect lots of vets to return to that way of playing it because it makes the game way deeper and more satisfying.
Jesse LeBreton, AKA Lebatron
Development team- GG's WAW A World Divided
robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

Sure it could be made both ways to make everyone happy, but you don't seem to understand that knowing that your opponent passed is fundamental to this game. There are 3 actions players can perform for their turn. An action, a stall, or a pass. Actions and stalls could be hidden in fog, but not the pass. It's to important to be overlooked and not pondered upon. Since you said you have no prior experience with this game I can understand your idea. However, in this game advancing the round on your opponent when your opponent is trying to squeeze every little AP point out of his units on his terms is not something you just change willy nilly. He may pass thinking he can take better advantage at a latter time and you can respond with 'I don't think so' and pass on him. Making it a double pass and then the round is over. It's a very important part of the deep strategy this game offers. You may not see it yet because, as you point out, you're new to the game, but from us vets of CoH you can take it from us that it is a very fundamental aspect of the game. Playing the passing game is a key part of CoH. At least under the original AP system it is. And once it's really working properly I expect lots of vets to return to that way of playing it because it makes the game way deeper and more satisfying.

OK, I'll reserve judgement on this part of the game until I am more experienced and see the more board game compliant version of the AP system.
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games
major.pain

Post by major.pain »

This suggestion is not to pick fault with the interface as I like it but more to make better use of the screen space. Running along the bottom of the screen you have the information bar that on the left displays your information about each action in a scrolling list then on the right all that is displayed is a line of text related to the hex that your cursor is over, the rest is blank.
What I would suggest is to merge the information in the left hand box with the information in the right box and the display it all in one box on the bottom right.Now with the empty space on the bottom left you can drop in the row of unit action buttons and the currently selected unit black info bar on top and free up a larger area of the screen to view the map.
I find that while I play at the moment I am always tapping the “I key” to remove the interface as it obscures a lot of the map on the left. Don’t know how much work would be involved to do this or whether its even possible
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

I'd like to see the firefights scenario informations before to play the game, just like the boardgame.
In this way I know what to do at first glance (how many units, their statistics and so on).
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
major.pain

Post by major.pain »

ORIGINAL: Blind Sniper

I'd like to see the firefights scenario informations before to play the game, just like the boardgame.
In this way I know what to do at first glance (how many units, their statistics and so on).
Download the Awakening The Bear firefights PDF from Academy Games, really adds to the flavour and you get to see a discription of the units that you will deploy and face. You haveto log in and create an account though first before you can use there download section.
Blind Sniper

Post by Blind Sniper »

Hello M J R,

already done but I noticed some differences although.
I.e in the 3rd Firefight (General Petrov) the artillery support works a bit differently (no possibile to use all strikes in a single round) and there is another VP hex (IIRC).

I only check the first three firefights, I don't know the others.
WitP-AE - WitE - CWII - BASPM - BaB

[center]Image[/center]
major.pain

Post by major.pain »

Yes there are a few differences between the firefights pdf and the PC versoin of the firefight.
Not sure whether its because the pdf from Academy Games is for the origonal Awakening The Bear and the PC version is using some changes that have been made to the upcoming Version 2 Awakening The Bear boardgame. Maybe they just felt like changing thinks round a bit for balance or whatever on the PC.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

No the FF changes were done by Eric the programmer. Changes were carefully made to work better with the AI. Which is why you will see a human preferred side. I suppose that if the unit scripts get better in time we may see some scenarios return to a more original state. Anyway, I hope that will be the case because when some of these scenarios were modified to make the AI play that particular scenario better it then affected the human vs human balance of the scenario. I have not been playing the game much over the last few months so I can't say for sure whether or not there are two versions of each scenario in the data base. One set of scenarios should be pretty much the same as the most up to date version of the board games for human vs human play because these are very balanced. And then we should have a second set of these scenarios for human vs AI play. That imo is the only way to make it work well all around. Otherwise a clever human opponent that wants to milk every win he can(There are 'Try-hards' out there you know) will want to play the side the AI normally plays so that he could use the AI's free handouts to his own advantage.
darthsmaul

Post by darthsmaul »

like to see how many AP and CAP the opponent has on units, in the board game you can.

some kind of base on sprites (already suggested)

some kind of scenario breakdown with points, starting forces and maybe a pop up screen during the game you can look at for reinforcements, objectives etc... with the tactical map.

regardless, love the game, best board game to computer game I have played yet. [&o]
darthsmaul

Post by darthsmaul »

oh, and I wouldnt mind an option where you can change the boards to look like the actual boards in the board game so easier to see hills etc...
RockKahn

Post by RockKahn »

If someone can tell me this is already possible in the game, let me know. Otherwise, it's a suggestion.

I hitched up a towed weapon to a truck a couple of turns ago. Now I don't know exactly what the towed unit is. I click on the truck and it doesn't say what it's towing. It just says "Truck #2". When I click on the truck, it should say somewhere what unit it's currently towing.

I don't write Universal Law. I just live by it.
robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

- Black smoke obscured wound icon on battlefield over units. Better to forgo smoke.
- the more I play the more I wish I could check LOS from any hex.
- If you can't attack a unit due to LOS and lack of AP, display both messages at top of screen (or give priority to lack of LOS). Is is annoying to add AP or use a free action card and still not be able to attack.
- allow tank to rotate in direction of hexes they can move too. Is odd that I can move to a hex but not rotate in its direction.
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

ORIGINAL: robc04

- allow tank to rotate in direction of hexes they can move too. Is odd that I can move to a hex but not rotate in its direction.

?? You can. When I move a vehicle to a new hex it always faces the way it drove in. What are you asking exactly? Clearly your game does the same as mine.
robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

?? You can. When I move a vehicle to a new hex it always faces the way it drove in. What are you asking exactly? Clearly your game does the same as mine.

I moved into a hex and wanted to stay in place but rotate for my bonus move. The valid bonus move hexes were highlighted in blue, but I couldn't stay in position and rotate towards those hexes.
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

As you move into each hex you can select the direction your unit will face once it gets there all in one click of the mouse. Look carefully at the arrows angle to set the direction you want. You have 6 facing choices in every hex move you make. If you are pointing the wrong way when you moved in you are not using the interface correctly yet.

I think upon reading again you may not know how to pivot. Ok here's what you do. Select the unit then go wide with the mouse out passed the adjacent hexes. Note the change in the arrows graphics. This mode is pivot change mode. Select the direction then.
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

And I think if you just moved you can't use a bonus move to pivot. Bonus moves are only to move into new hexes. You just have to be careful you get each moves facing right because a bonus move will not allow you to correct this.
robc04_1

Post by robc04_1 »

And I think if you just moved you can't use a bonus move to pivot. Bonus moves are only to move into new hexes. You just have to be careful you get each moves facing right because a bonus move will not allow you to correct this.

Exactly, but I think if you are allow to move to a hex, you should be allowed to pivot towards it. It doesn't make sense to allow a move but not the pivot. I don't recall the exact circumstance of why I wanted to do it. It could be that I goofed up while moving (I do know how to set the facing), but it might be that something was revealed by my new LOS that caused me to want to pivot.

Unless there are implantation reasons for why they can't do it, it just doesn't make logical sense that I can move in that direction but not pivot in that direction. Seems like an arbitrary limitation.
Because I play too much,
One Guy, Too Many Games
Lebatron

Post by Lebatron »

I was told an undo button would be hard to implement due to LOS exposing units and then you taking the move back. Would not be fair to opponent. I suppose it could just fail to work when such a thing happens. Anyway, yes it's a small problem to not be able to pivot with a bonus move but it doesn't come into play all that often once you are used to the interface.
Erik Rutins

Post by Erik Rutins »

- If you can't attack a unit due to LOS and lack of AP, display both messages at top of screen (or give priority to lack of LOS). Is is annoying to add AP or use a free action card and still not be able to attack.

When you have the unit selected, the LOS overlay shows you whether you can see the target and the AP cost to fire in the unit stats tells you how many APs you will need to be able to fire. Is there something else going on that's making this confusing?

Regards,

- Erik
Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

Return to “Conflict of Heroes Series”