SS Pampanito

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

RogerJNeilson

SS Pampanito

Post by RogerJNeilson »

Just got back from my epic cross USA holiday tour. More on that later.

Here is the set of picture I took on a visit to the 'last surviving' WW2 Submarine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/didactylos ... 675663566/

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
GenChaos33

RE: SS Pampanito

Post by GenChaos33 »

Never Forget!!!
Empire101

Post by Empire101 »

Welcome back!!

Great photos!!

Was you being depth charged when you took the control room photo??[:'(]

On a more sobering note, it reminds me of how claustrophobic being inside one of these monsters really was.
I went around the U-Boat in the museum in Chicago, and thought then, did they employ midgets??
Hard to imagine what it was like with a full crew, let alone being 200ft down and being depth-charged.

Brave Men All.
[font="Tahoma"]Our lives may be more boring than those who lived in apocalyptic times,
but being bored is greatly preferable to being prematurely dead because of some ideological fantasy.
[/font] - Michael Burleigh

pmelheck1

Post by pmelheck1 »

Funny I thought USS Cod which is just down the road from here was a WW2 era sub...

Was going to tour her sometime this month hopefully. According to her website she is one of the only or only sub where the pressure hull isn't modified for visitors (cut)

http://www.usscod.org/

castor troy

Post by castor troy »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Here is the set of picture I took on a visit to the 'last surviving' WW2 Submarine.

Roger

thanks for sharing these nice pics Roger
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_LionfishThe USS Lionfish is docked at Battleship Cove, in New Bedford, Ma. She is also a surving WWii sub. Information is here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Lionfish
tocaff

Post by tocaff »

The SS Ling resides on the Hackensack River in New Jersey.

Good pics!
Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I'm glad I put 'last surviving' in my text, looks like there's a few contenders for that accolade actually.

Roger
An unplanned dynasty: Roger Neilson, Roger Neilson 11, Roger Neilson 3 previous posts 898+1515 + 1126 = 3539.....Finally completed my game which started the day WITP:AE was released
steamboateng

Post by steamboateng »

Considering the limits of shipboard interior lighting, those are good pix.
I see you included pix of the Jeramiah O'Brian, the WWll Liberty ship.
That reminds me of........................
Way, way, long ago, I honeymooned with my new bride (now called THE Cheif Mate) at San Francisco (and Hawaii). I dragged her butt all over the 'Jeramiah', lecturing her on the engineering details as well as WWll MM history.
She was totally BORED!
I had to buy her a good meal over at Fisherman's Wharf as compensation.
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

ORIGINAL: Roger Neilson 3

Roger

Great pix. This is a warship that looks the part. I just last week completed my fifteenth re-reading of "Run Silent, Run Deep" and seeig these photos I was reminded of Ned Beach's descriptions of WWII fleet boats. They were built to kill, and looked it.

If I may, a few caption terminology quibbles:

After torpedoroom. Stern tubes. The galley is the galley. The officer's is the pantry. Officers ate in the wardroom, even though it wasn't really a room in a sub. Enlisted men ate in a mess (there a few rare cases/usages when officers also eat in a mess, but that refers to how the money and recordkeeping flowed.) Officers slept in staterooms, even when they weren't rooms either. Crew slept in berthing. "Accomodation" isn't a usage Americans employ.

And a water-tight door is a door. Horizontal accesses are doors; vertical are hatches. (With a few exceptions. There are also "scuttles" in some specialized uses.) But a WT door is a WT door. For the trivial inclined, in "Reef Points", the midshipman handbook issued to generations of USNA students, the fictional midshipman used in all the examples was Midshipman W. T. Door.

No critiscism of your captions intended. English, two languages separated, etc., etc. And naval lingo is more separate than the land-lubberly variety.
The Moose
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

Cool pics. I/ve been aboard the Pompanito a few times and took pics, and they're virtually identical to yours, shooting angles and all! Though she's big for a WWII era sub, space is still limited.

Fun fact about the Pompanito - the TDC still functions to this day! It's the world's only operable TDC in a U.S. WWII era submarine.

The Jeremiah O'Brien is a hoot. She was present for the D-Day landings and she still goes underway today. Saw her steaming around the bay during Fleet Week last year. Been aboard her a few times and I'm always amazed to how lovingly she is taken care of, especially the engineering space; it is immaculate. I'm also amazed to how tiny the bridge windows are. There are only four of them, and they are about as small as a cheap motel bathroom window!

Looks like you had a thoroughly enjoyable trip, Roger!
RogerJNeilson

Post by RogerJNeilson »

I bow to your knowledge of naval lingo Bullwinkle.

I guess most people's pix would be the same angle Treetop - as there ain't a lot of give anywhere to get other angles.

I looked at the Jeremiah O'Brien, from the dock, but as the tide was in her gangway (hope that's right) was at a very steep angle and I'm no good with heights so didn't venture. Interestingly the guy on her ticket office was a real enthusiast and chatted for ages. The guy on the SS Pampanito was totally disninterested, I could have been buying an entry to anything for all he cared,

Roger
Q-Ball

Post by Q-Ball »

Hey, don't forget the U-505 here in Chicago! How often can you visit a U-Boat? USS Pampanito looks like a spacious luxury liner compared to U-505.

I also toured the USS Cassin Young, a Fletcher-class DD in Boston. That's worth a look. Only WW-2 era DD I am aware of you can visit
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

USS Kidd is also open. Fletcher class DD. [:D]
Nikademus

Post by Nikademus »

ship i want to see is the Olympia. Sad that she's in danger of being chopped. Very few ships from her era left in the world
Justus2

Post by Justus2 »

ORIGINAL: Q-Ball

Hey, don't forget the U-505 here in Chicago! How often can you visit a U-Boat? USS Pampanito looks like a spacious luxury liner compared to U-505.

I also toured the USS Cassin Young, a Fletcher-class DD in Boston. That's worth a look. Only WW-2 era DD I am aware of you can visit

I have taken my son to the U-505, always a good trip. An interesting comparison, in Long Beach (next to the Queen Mary) they have an old Russian sub (Skorpion) available for tours, same cramped feeling, it's actually in the water, though tied to dock. Compared to those, our modern subs are positively spacious! (I was lucky enough to tour the USS Minneapolis-St Paul while in Norfolk for a course a few years ago).
Just when I get the hang of a game, I buy two more... :)
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

An interesting side note. USS Pampanito starred in the comedy "Down Periscope" (with Kelsey Grammer as her skipper) as the "USS Stingray." It is a very funny send-up of WW2 movies that rivals "Operation Petticoat." If you have not seen it you should.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
mdiehl

Post by mdiehl »

Only WW-2 era DD I am aware of you can visit

IIRC there is one near Buffalo on lake Erie. There is also the Gearing class USS Joseph P. Kennedy parked next to the USS Massachusetts in Fall River, MA.
Show me a fellow who rejects statistical analysis a priori and I'll show you a fellow who has no knowledge of statistics.

Didn't we have this conversation already?
Mundy

Post by Mundy »

ORIGINAL: Nikademus
ship i want to see is the Olympia. Sad that she's in danger of being chopped. Very few ships from her era left in the world

+1. A real piece of USN history there.

You can even see a sub in Wisconsin. USS Cobia in Manatowoc. There were a number built on the Great Lakes.
USS Cobia

Ed-
Treetop64

Post by Treetop64 »

ORIGINAL: mdiehl

An interesting side note. USS Pampanito starred in the comedy "Down Periscope" (with Kelsey Grammer as her skipper) as the "USS Stingray." It is a very funny send-up of WW2 movies that rivals "Operation Petticoat." If you have not seen it you should.

I agree. Good flick, and funny. I understand that Pompanito was actually underway on her own power for some shots in that movie.
Funny how they make the nuke boat on tactical maneuvers while surfaced(!).

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”