USS Massachusetts

Gary Grigsby's strategic level wargame covering the entire War in the Pacific from 1941 to 1945 or beyond.

Moderators: Joel Billings, wdolson, Don Bowen, mogami

Snigbert

Post by Snigbert »

That'd be worth a ride down to Philly to check out.
"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the
Admiral DadMan

Post by Admiral DadMan »

ROAD TRIP!
Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:
Sam-I-am

The only surviving dreadnought

Post by Sam-I-am »

Ya gotta see this last dreadnought in the whole world!

A Veteran of World War I and World War II!

TEXAS is the only US battleship to see combat in Africa, Europe and Asia!!!

If by chance Ya"ll do git to come visit Houston, Texas.

Be sure to see the one time

"Flagship of the US Navy" BB35 TEXAS :D
Nikademus

Texas

Post by Nikademus »

Have to agree there. Texas is the most interesting of the USN BB's to visit because of her unique-ness....the last surviving example of the 'Dreadnought' era (though technically, modern BB's are also "Dreadnoughts" :) )

For those not fortunate as of yet to see the old girl, Warships1 has posted my photo-tour of the ship from back in 1999. Includes a couple semi-decent shots taken from inside the forward Tripod mast.

:)
mogami

SLEP

Post by mogami »

Originally posted by Proteus
Kitty Hawk is a post WW2 "super carrier" built after 1950. I last saw her in San Diego last year.

I work at the Norfolk Naval Shipyard so I see ships come and go all the time. Currently we have the Big E finishing her availablity. In fact I witnessed her entry and departure from dry dock 8 (the largest dry dock in the USA) this year. About two months ago I had the bow of the Big E facing my work center on one side and the Truman on the other side.

Accross the river lies the Wisconsin in downtown Norfolk and further down the way the worlds largest Naval Base.

Hi, I was stationed at the Ship Yard in Philly and worked on both Kitty Hawk and Independece for their Service Life Extension Programs (SLEP) in 86-87

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!
Ranger-75

Post by Ranger-75 »

When I lived in NY, I used to drive by the Intrepid all the time, but I never went in to see it. There's a couple of WW-II subs moored with it too. It's a real nice museum, but traffic getting to it is hell, it being right at 42nd St & 12th Ave.
Still playing PacWar (but no so much anymore)...
showboat1

Post by showboat1 »

Don't forget about Hornet, Lexington, and Yorktown. All three are preserved as museum ships. If you go visit South Carolina go to Patriot's Point and check out the Yorktown along with the USS Laffey and several other ships. They also have lots of planes.

My fav place to go, though, is the National Museum of Naval Aviation located at NAS Pensacola. It's a truly remarkable location. I heard they were working on getting an example of an F2A Buffalo and a TBD Devastator. Haven't heard any updates in awhile though.
SF3C B. B. New USS North Carolina BB-55 - Permission is granted to go ashore for the last shore leave. (1926-2003)
Mundy

Real old one..

Post by Mundy »

Has anyone seen the USS Olympia in Philadelphia? I'm thinking of a trip to see it one of these years. I didn't know she still existed until I read a flyer I got with the Avalanche game, 1898.
Buchon

About Dédalo

Post by Buchon »

[QUOTE]Originally posted by showboat1
No to mention the recent scrapping of the Dedalo {ex. Monterrey(?)}.

The Dédalo was ex-Cabot
Jeremy Pritchard

Post by Jeremy Pritchard »

You want to see some REAL cool ships, check out...

GEORGIOS AVEROFF (Greek Armoured Cruiser, pre-WW1)

MISAKA (Japanese Pre-Dreadnaught)
jnier

Re: Real old one..

Post by jnier »

Originally posted by Mundy
Has anyone seen the USS Olympia in Philadelphia? I'm thinking of a trip to see it one of these years. I didn't know she still existed until I read a flyer I got with the Avalanche game, 1898.
Yup, I was on the Olympia when I was a kid and drove past it countless times during my Philly days. The museum where its at has recently been renovated. If you're ever in Philly it's certainly worth an afternoon to check out the ship and the rest of the museum, although the Olympia isn't kept up as well as she should be. Here's the link for the museum.
http://seaport.philly.com/
showboat1

Re: About Dédalo

Post by showboat1 »

Originally posted by Buchon
Originally posted by showboat1
No to mention the recent scrapping of the Dedalo {ex. Monterrey(?)}.

The Dédalo was ex-Cabot

You are correct, I stand corrected. I had the Monterrey on my brain becasue my wife's grandfather served on the Monterrey.
SF3C B. B. New USS North Carolina BB-55 - Permission is granted to go ashore for the last shore leave. (1926-2003)
showboat1

Post by showboat1 »

Are there any current restoration projects underway that anyone knows about?
Snigbert

Post by Snigbert »

A couple of the Iowa class BBs are in the process of being turned into museums. Not sure if that counts as restoration really.
"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the
showboat1

Post by showboat1 »

Heard about all of those, but I am mainly looking for former world war II warships that have been day, mothballed for 20 years, or been serving with the Chilean Navy, or something like that. Something old that hasn't been very heavily modified. Like Dedalo before scrapping. I saw photos and I believe there were actual 40mm gun mounts still aboard.

P.S. I am STILL pissed about this and might be for years to come!
Ron Saueracker

Sad

Post by Ron Saueracker »

Does it not suck that money can't be made to preserve "unique" ships such as DEDALO (ex CABOT) and ALMIRANTE SOMETINGOROTHER (ex ST LOUIS) but is available for redundant ships (IE LIKE WE NEED ANOTHER EXAMPLE) such as IOWA, NEW JERSEY, WISCONSIN or yet another ESSEX? People in "the know" just don't get it.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan
showboat1

Post by showboat1 »

As someone who is a historian and has worked hand in hand with archeologists I can say its all about what is stylish. Saving and old hybrid CVL like Dedalo would have been worthy in a historical sense to preserve the last example, but not really stylish enough to get funding. After all, preserved warships can be VERY expensive to maintain and most folks just aren't interested unless it has some flash. Hence, LOTS of battleships, aircraft carriers, and submarines. I used to feel pride that the original Enterprise survived the war, but she was scrapped, dishonored. I now wish that she would have been sent to the Bikini Tests along with the Saratoga. Today you can at least explore the Sara by diving on the wreck. To get a piece of the Enterprise you have to buy razor blades.

Return to “War In The Pacific - Struggle Against Japan 1941 - 1945”