Kudos to Matrix and other ramblings

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Repo Man

Kudos to Matrix and other ramblings

Post by Repo Man »

To begin my first post here, I would like to thank the staff of Matrix games for all their efforts. The free games, the new games in progress, a terrific website, you guys are doing a first rate job.

I can’t say for certain how everyone else feels, but the consensus seems to be that Matrix has filled a much needed place in wargaming. I only recently discovered Matrix, and I have not felt such a rush upon seeing the projects in the works in a long, long time. In fact, the last time I felt this way about a game was the time I first discovered Empires in Arms.

I would like to say that the approach Matrix has been taking has all but assured that the next generation of games will be classics. The re release of Gary Grigsby’s games was pure genius. Not only is Matrix providing us wargamers with a top notch (albeit dated) game, but also you are bringing together what can best be described as the lost tribe of wargamers. When you couple that with a simultaneous update of these two games, you essentially have a group of dedicated gamers giving Matrix constant feedback, most of which will be reflected in the new games. From a dollar and cents point of view, Matrix already has quite a number of presold games.

I do offer a few suggestions to help Matrix grow, and continue to produce the kind of games it is working on now. There is a terrific article on the dying breed of wargamers at the web grognards, www.grognard.com The direct link to the article is http://grognard.com/mike/savewg.html . BTW, Matrix should let grognard.com know of the updates. They do have links to both Pacwar and WIR, both of which should be updated. I would guess that they would link to the new games Matrix has in the works too.

IMHO, I think this article is right on the money, even though it is a few years outdated. Since Matrix has already demonstrated its commitment to wargaming, I think the next short term project should be introductory level games, either as freeware or cheapware. A good, easy to learn and fun to play wargame could be the way to draw more people into the hobby. The next step is up to us who *buy* (or intend to buy) Matrix games. By showing our hobby to new recruits, we can take a positive step towards revitalizing the wargaming hobby.

Well, that’s enough rambling for my first post.
Repo Man

Return to “General Discussion”