THIRD REICH 42-45 1.5.2 - mike1984 (Allies) vs USXpat (Axis)

Post accounts of your memorable victories and defeats here for other wargamers to share.

Moderators: ralphtricky, JAMiAM

mike1984

THIRD REICH 42-45 1.5.2 - mike1984 (Allies) vs USXpat (Axis)

Post by mike1984 »

***I'M USING THIS SAME THREAD FOR THE NEW AAR. THIS GAME RAN INTO A SNAG THAT FORCED IT TO END AT TURN 15. SKIP AHEAD A FEW POSTS FOR THE START OF THE NEW GAME.***

Cross-posted from my site.

TR 42-45 1.5.1 - ALLIED vs Mark - T003/22May42

Okay kids, here we go. Not only am I playtesting this scenario once again as the Allies, but it's against the man himself, designer Mark Dabbs. He's in Odessa, while I'm in DC. So the time difference is pretty stark. But we're getting through with about one turn per day, sometimes more.

I've decided to wait until turn 3 to start this AAR because the first two are pretty boring. It starts out the way you'd expect with this one, with most of the action near Kharkov and Rostov on the Eastern Front. Enjoy...

RUSSIA

Sectors: Velikie Luki-Rzhev-Vyazma
This isn't so much a bad situation and just one I must be careful handling. It's a line "correction," pulling back from the bulge I started with. The 39th Army seems to have been caught by the Germans, but I'm sure a few divisions can get out safely. The rest of the line should be fine, particularly if I can get at least one more army in the region to bolster the reserves.

Sectors: Voroshilovgrad-Rostov
In order to hold Rostov as long as possible--delaying the Axis advance into the Caucasus--I've ordered the 2nd Shock Army down from Lenningrad. The 2nd will defend the city, flanked to the north by the 56th Army. This will be pretty much it for reinforcements to the region, as I've had to send the 44th Army farther north toward Yelets. If I can evacuate the 47th Army off the Crimean Penninsula, it will move toward Rostov. But I fear the city will fall by then.

Sectors: Kursk-Voronezh-Kharkov
The larger region north of Rostov is the most volatile right now along the Eastern Front. Two full armies--6th and 57th--are cut off by the Panzer divisions, as the rest of the line begins to form southward from Voronezh. The 47th Army--shipped up from the Caucasus--is staging in the southern sector behind the 3rd Guards Tank Army. I do not expect this long, thin line to hold very long. But delaying the Germans a few weeks would help things all over the theatre.

NORTH AFRICA

Tobruk remains in British hands, but that's only because the Germans and Italians haven't yet attacked. I'm expecting that to come next week(turn), as I've spotted the Afrika Korps forming up west of my disheveled line. I'm currently shipping the British V and VIII Corps down from England. They are laying over on Malta, and will arrive in Alexandria next week.
mike1984

T004/29May42

Post by mike1984 »

Cross-posted from my site.

TR 42-45 1.5.1 - ALLIED vs Mark - T004/29May42

RUSSIA

The I SS Panzers have broken the line between the 18th & 24th Armies, but it should be contained for a little while. No reinforcements are scheduled to arrive for at least two more weeks, so this situation appears to be a perilous one to say the least. I've marked the Brandenberg Commandos that were shipped by rail all the way from Berlin. They are camping near Stalino, and I fully expect them to be used in the likely German breakout attempt. I'm looking for airdrop operations against the bridges and railroads along my lines of retreat and supply. For now, I'm getting rear-guard units ready to control damage.

FINLAND

There is some action coming in the north. But it's just small skirmishes for now. The Germans are taking some units from Norway to push my Russians.

NORTH AFRICA

Rommel and the Italians are in position for their offensive toward Tobruk and Egypt. I'm beginning the evacuation from Lybia, while the lead divisions from the V & VIII Corps are arriving in Alexandria.
governato

RE: T004/29May42

Post by governato »

This is going to be fun! It'd be useful for the other designers to have some update on losses and replacements along the way. And the occasional screenshot of the whole front.
mike1984

T005/5Jun42

Post by mike1984 »

TR 42-45 1.5.1 - ALLIED vs Mark - T005/5Jun42

RUSSIA

The arrival of another SS Panzer division has changed the course of the Battle for Rostov. The hole punched through by the I SS Panzer Korps will likely prove to be the end for my Russian defenders. Still, I'm holding the ground as long as possible. Control of the entire Caucasus and its oil fields hinges on holding Rostov. Reinforcements are slowly arriving from Siberia. Due soon are some powerful formations, including the 60th, 62nd, 63rd Armies. However, the first of those fresh armies won't get to the Eastern Front for yet another month.

NORTH AFRICA

Sectors: Tobruk-Alexandria
The arrival of four British Corps from England nearly guarantees the successful defense of Egypt. Tobruk could theoretically hold, but unlike against the PO, Mark should be able to take the city with some effort. I'm only leaving South African troops of the X & XXX Corps in the defense of Tobruk. But they're quality units.

The 1st Battalion of the 1st South African Division has made a gallant stand in Gazala, as has the 3rd Battalion of the 50th Division at Bir Hacheim. These delaying actions--nothing short of suicide missions--have proven frustrating for my opponent, as it deprives him of crucial crossroads, including the rail line to Tobruk.

Meanwhile, the rest of the X & XXX Corps ran like hell back to Alexandria. I'm working on a defensive line along the historical El Alamein positions, sending the I, V, VIII Corps forward from Alexandria.

mike1984

T006/12Jun42

Post by mike1984 »

TR 42-45 1.5.1 - ALLIED vs Mark - T006/12Jun42

RUSSIA

Sector: Rostov
The German panzers have raced around my right flank, crossing the Don east of Rostov. I've fortunately saved the 44th Army in reserve for such a situation, but it's only meant to be a delaying action. Elements of the 56th and 18th Armies have sliced the Germans off from their main force north of the city, but again, this will be short-lived. There are two very easy river crossing points northeast of Shakhty, which are completely undefended by my Russian troops. If Mark realizes this before I can get some screening units there, it's just a matter of time before the entire Don Front comes crumbling back to Stalingrad.

AFRICA

Tobruk remains in Commonwealth control, but the DAK and Italians are marching quickly eastward. I'm expecting a seige of the city in the next week or so, while I continue to dig in near El Alamein.
mike1984

OOF!

Post by mike1984 »

As it goes with playtesting, we've ran aground...

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3098859

We will start a new game once Mark updates the file.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T001: 05.08.42

Post by mike1984 »

T001 05.08.42

RUSSIA
Sectors: Kursk-Kharkov-Rostov
I've tried the fighting withdrawl strategy here before. As a result of it I lost no less than two full armies. This time, I'm not being so adventurous. I've ordered all Armies between Kursk and Voroshilovgrad to evacuate east toward the Don River. Forming at Kursk, the front will make a right-angle (1) to Voronezh. From there, the 38 and 9 armies--the two completely lost last time when I didn't evacuate immediately--will use the cover of the first river as a natural defensive position (2), with the Don behind them as the fallback line. The remaining few armies are evacuating from the Kharkov sector (3), and should be able to get out with minimal losses. A few Op. Groups are holding back to screen the withdrawl. Though I'm not sure what exactly I'm going to do with this part of the front, the 24 Army and 3 Gds Tank Army are digging in (4) while waiting for more orders. They could be sent south to Rostov, or plug holes elsewhere in the line. Finally, the Rostov sector (5) is holding tight for the moment. There is still a great debate at headquarters about whether or not to invest too much manpower into the Rostov defense. But it will significantly slow the Germans and Romanians as they move into the Caucasus. As long as I keep this to a delaying action, and not a full-fledged static defense, it should provide the maximum benefit to the lowest cost possible.

Image (Yes, I know the slide date is wrong)

GLOBAL
No other major movements or actions to report.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T002: 05.15.42

Post by mike1984 »

T002 05.15.42

RUSSIA

Sectors: Velikie Luki-Rzhev
The managed withdrawal from the Vyazma salient has gone well. Not perfectly, but what can you expect in war? The line is forming (1) from the 4 Shock Army to the 10 Guards Army, with the 22, 41, and 39 Armies moving into the void. I'm concerned about the 39 Army (2), which is getting squeezed by the XXIII Korps and XLI Panzer Korps. Once this withdrawal is complete, this sector should remain quiet for a while.

Sectors: Orel-Kursk
I've been caught off guard here, with a much larger attack coming than the last time I played against Mark. He is using the textbook Blitzkreig tactic of punching a hole on both sides of the defenders (1 & 2) using the Panzers, sending them in a pincer move around the flanks (3), and then crushing the pocket with the infantry up the middle. The 3 & 48 Armies are in danger of being completely cut off, as is the 13 Army (4). There is not a single Russian soldier between the Panzers and Yelets. I'm going to have to pull reserves from other areas (like the already-threatened Rostov sectors) to plug this hole until more reinforcements arrive in a few weeks.

Sectors: Kharkov-Rostov
The evacuation of the entire Kharkov front went splendidly. All five armies (38, 9, 57, 37, 6) made it (1) to safety. However, I'm going to have to order them across the river sooner than expected. This is partly to facilitate the defense of Yelets (previous slide), and partly to help in the south near Rostov. The 1 Panzer Armee is committing itself fully to the push on Rostov. I'm afraid this area will fall into German hands much more quickly than the last game. Compounding this problem is that I'll likely have to transfer the 2 Shock Army (near Stalingrad) and possibly even the 54 Army (east of Stalingrad) to the forward defenses. I don't have enough strength to simply pull back to a defensive line in the east, so delaying the Axis for at least three or four weeks is critical. Otherwise, I'm not sure I can hold the oil fields to the south, or even Stalingrad to the east.

Sectors: Caucasus
I'm getting a bit ahead of myself here, planning the defense of the Caucasus oil fields at Maikop and Grozny. But if I can establish some decent fortifications in these three gaps, I can use the natural defensive positions in the mountains. This should only require about five or six more armies. Unfortunately, I don't have five or six armies to spare right now.

mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T003: 05.22.42

Post by mike1984 »

T003 05.22.42

RUSSIA

Sectors: Veliki Luki-Rzhev
Things are settling down now, as the defensive line forms. The Germans are mopping up the left over divisions that were caught up in the withdrawal. As reinforcements arrive, I'll have to send at least one army to this sector as a reserve.

Sectors: Orel-Yelets-Voronezh
The main objective here is to contain and delay. There are three Op Groups just north of the rag-tag defenders east of Orel (1), that will disembark and enter the battle this upcoming week. There isn't much between the three German Korps and wide open Russian countryside north of Yelets. The 13 and 40 Armies are as good as gone (2), while the 21 Army is trying its best to hold the open space in front of Yelets. Once reinforcements can arrive, the line will form along the railroad (3), hopefully keeping the valuable rail hub at Yelets out of German hands.

Sectors: Kharkov-Rostov
This entire sectors has nearly evaporated in the span of two weeks. I'm not dedicating the kind of force to this area that I did the last time around. But still, I didn't expect three armies to simply melt away. The 12 Army is getting across the river (1) and blowing bridges behind them. The German III Panzer Korps has free reign north of Rostov (2), completely cutting off what's left of the 18 Army. At Rostov, the 56 Army will try to delay the German crossing of the Don River (3). The 2 Shock Army and 8 Army are stationed in Stalingrad, with the 2 Shock fanning out to cover the river crossings. The 54 Army, originally sent to Stalingrad, has been ordered south to Grozny to prepare those defenses.

mike1984

FYI

Post by mike1984 »

I'm trying to get these posted as quickly as possible. We're up to about T019 in real life, while my own blog is up to T007. So I'll get this copy of the AAR up to speed with my blog.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T004: 05.29.42

Post by mike1984 »

T004 05.29.42

RUSSIA

Monthly Review - May '42
Three major stages of action this month on the Russian Front. Near Rzhev (1), I ordered the managed withdrawal from a dangerous salient. This freed up some valuable units, as well as allowed this section of the front to dig in with reserves. The line was entirely too thin before the move.

To the south, German, Romanian and Hungarian forces made a heavy push (2) coinciding with my second managed withdrawal to the Don River. The position was a big problem area from the start of this scenario, and the last time I did this, it wasn't so organized. The result was significant loss. But this time, with plenty of screening units to hold the Axis from getting a solid shot at my armies, only two formations were lost (13 Army, 40 Army) north of Kharkov.

The second stage of the Axis advance (3) pushed my lines farther east, but not farther than the original stop line at the Don. Voronezh remains well-defended with reserves to spare, while the sectors to the south have more time to dig in and develop a plan. The Panzers have had much more success in the Orel and Kursk sectors than those marching toward Rostov and Stalingrad. The defense of Maikop and Grozny in the Caucasus should improve as more units are sent south to dig into the mountains.

mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T005: 06.05.42

Post by mike1984 »

T005 06.05.42

RUSSIA

Sectors: Yelets-Voronezh
Two breakthroughs in this front. The significant break came south of Yelets (1), with the 21 Army melting under the strong pressure from the German XXIV Panzer and VII Korps. The Op Groups shipped down from the northern sectors (embarked east of Yelets) will have to plug the hole for now, until more units are available. West of Voronezh (2), the 38 Army gave way in one small sector, but I expect this one to be covered relatively easily. The 57 Army has units to spare, and aren't facing any real threat due to its position behind the Don River.

Intelligence Report
Recon has spotted at least two full corps, the German LVI and XVII Korps, being shipped by rail from the Rzhev sectors all the way down to the Rostov sector. This could provide a big boost to the German prospects in the North Caucasus.

Sectors: Rostov-Stalingrad
Axis progress has slowed significantly in this part of the Russian Front, but I'm not expecting that to last very long. The I SS Panzer is spearheading a new push across the Don River east of Rostov (1), while three full German Korps, supported by the Romanian II Corps, are near to capturing the city. To the north (2), delaying actions by rear guard has helped hold the tide at bay. Around Stalingrad (3) the 2 Shock Army is all along for now, spread incredibly thinly around the city. The 34 Army has arrived from north of Velikie Luki, and will take up defensive positions along the Don, just west of Stalingrad. This should free up the entire right wing of the 2 Shock to move south, bolstering the rest of the formation southwest of the city.

AFRICA

Sector: Tobruk
The X and XXX British Corps are holding on by a thread. The DAK (Das Afrika Korps) isn't wasting any time advancing on Tobruk, and it's paying early dividends.

mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T006: 06.12.42

Post by mike1984 »

T006 06.12.42

RUSSIA

The dangerous situation here has been contained by the quick arrival of the 3 Guards Tank Army from northwest of Stalingrad. The Guards armor slammed into the XXIV Panzer Korps that was already tired from a strong attack on the 28 Army, pushing back the Axis a few miles. Divisions from the 38 Army's reserve also plugged the gap northwest of Voronezh. These sectors seem stabilized for now.

Sectors: Rostov
Rostov is nearly fallen, but holds on by a thread. There wasn't much need to update this sector, but it's worth mentioning that the Axis could soon posess a valuable rail and supply hub leading into the Caucasus. Progress by the Axis in this part of the Russian Front has slowed so much, I'm wondering if it was a planned time to recoup losses and readiness. Any offensive across a river is tolling, particularly one that was decently defended, as was the case here.

FINLAND

Sectors: Kandalaksha
A new area has erupted in combat, with the German XXXVI Korps supported by an unconfirmed Finish Corps attacking and capturing Kandalaksha. This severs a critical rail line up to Murmansk, but doesn't offer much more to the Axis. Murmansk still has access to the sea. I might have to send an army, or a few Op Groups, up to Murmansk just to play it safe.

AFRICA

Sector: Tobruk
Toburk has fallen within three weeks of the DAK/Italian offensive. This is easily the quickest the city has fallen, and Mark has admitted that it's the first time in more than 20 play tests that Tobruk has been captured by the Axis. Once the rail line can be repaired, this will provide a serious supply boost to the DAK and Italians. Looks like Africa won't bog down this time around.

mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T007: 06.19.42

Post by mike1984 »

T007 06.19.42

RUSSIA

Sectors: Yelets-Voronezh-Stalingrad-Caucasus
Just a quick review of the southern half of the Russia Front. It's been a quiet two weeks since the initial assault on the Yelets-Voronezh sector was repulsed. The Axis are still staging on the far side of the Don River. Once the push south and east begins, however, I'm expecting a tough fight to hold back the tide.

AFRICA

The fall of Tobruk is likely to create a better supply situation for the DAK and Italians under Rommel, but my position in front of El Alamein is incredibly strong. There are Italian paratroopers at the air fields near Tobruk, so that's something to keep an eye on. I'm shipping the VIII Corps down from England, while the I Corps is already in Malta, ready to arrive in Alexandria.

mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T008: 06.26.42

Post by mike1984 »

T008 06.26.42

RUSSIA

With a renewed push on Yelets and Voronezh, the Germans have punched a hole in the line (1) north of Yelets. The reconstituted 48 and 3 Armies have been shipped to the front earlier than I wanted to commit them to battle. Their readiness is in the low teens right now, meaning they are going to face enemy fire with little chance of success. This is all meant to delay the Germans until a large contingent of fresh reinforcements due the next two weeks. The other problem areas are directly in front of Yelets and south of the city (2), where the armored op group has held, but by a hair. The 3 Guards Tank Army is standing firm in the center of the sectors, offering a foundation for the entire line. Near Voronezh (3), the 21 Army lost some ground to a concerted effort by three German infantry corps. The 18 Army is full of reconstituted units, similar to the 48/3 group to the north. No counterattacks were made this turn, but again, it's all about delaying the Axis offensive until reinforcements arrive in bulk over the next two weeks.

mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T009: 07.03.42

Post by mike1984 »

T009 07.03.42

RUSSIA

The Germans actually withdrew (1) from their gains last week. I've sent every single reconstituted unit into this area, hoping to simply clog up the path toward Yelets and/or Voronezh. I think it's worked. Though the Germans still have superior strength and likely readiness, my defensive positions are growing stronger each week. I wasn't able to send the fresh armies (60, 63 Armies) into this area, due to the need for them farther south. However, more armies are scheduled to arrive over the next two weeks. They will have a first objective of relieving the Yelets-Voronezh front line troops.

ELSEWHERE

North Africa - The DAK and Italians are mopping up the remaining Commonwealth troops, but little action otherwise. There are now five British Corps in Egypt.

North Caucasus - The Germans and Romanians are crossing the Don in force now. No major engagements since the fall of Rostov. The Wehrmacht is not making a play for any of the territory on the eastern side of the Don from Stalingrad northward. There were at least two Panzer Korps being shipped by rail to this area, possibly three total. It signals a coming effort to capture the oil fields at Maikop and Grozny.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T010: 07.10.42

Post by mike1984 »

*I'm now caught up with where I am on my web site AAR. Be sure to check out the past turns if you're just joining in on this turn.*

T010 07.10.42

GLOBAL

Aside from some local skirmishes, this week has been eerily quiet. Nothing to report. Some Russian reinforcements have arrived and are being moved toward the front. The RAF has busted a few bridges in Holland. And the Afrika Korps is still massing after the fall of Tobruk.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T011: 07.17.42

Post by mike1984 »

T011 07.17.42

RUSSIA

Two fresh armies (60, 7 Gds) have arrived, but I've only committed one to battle so far. The 60 Army has bolstered the buckling center, between the 3 Gds Tank Army and the 38 Army. The 7 Gds Army will disembark next turn and build up its readiness. If the front lines can hold long enough, I'm hoping to use the 7 Gds in a counter offensive to drive back some of the most forward German divisions. This should give me more time to gather reinforcements as they arrive, and relieve the exhausted front line armies in this bloody stretch of the Russian Front.

Sector: Maikop
With three armies digging in, I'm confident this positions can hold off a mid-sized offensive for at least a week or two. If I must fall back into the mountains, so be it. The terrain south of this sector is so brutal, I don't imagine the Germans continuing any attack immediately following the eventual capture of Maikop. There are plenty of fresh German corps moving into this area via Rostov. I'm anticipating an impressive offensive southward from the Axis armies. Also to note, the Brandenbergers haven't been used yet. Could this be the first instance? It wouldn't make much sense to me. Capturing Maikop is good, but not like capturing Stalingrad or even Grozny.

mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T012: 07.24.42

Post by mike1984 »

T012 07.24.42

RUSSIA

Sectors: Maikop
What was once a stable situation in the south has suddenly turned dangerous. Mark even admitted he wasn't expecting such an easy breakthrough at Krasnodar, but has taken advantage quickly. There are three Panzer corps now pressing across the river, and the Brandenbergers have been deployed to take advantage of my fragile situation. Since the Germans have already crossed two full Panzer divisions, and are pressing in two other spots along the river, I have no choice but to fall back into the mountains. The passes along the Black Sea coast offer a fantastic defensive opportunity for me, but the trick is getting as much of my force out of here as possible.

A few gains by the Germans in these sectors, but nothing major. The Russians should be able to push back next week.
mike1984

TR 42-45 1.5.2 - ALLIED vs Mark - T013: 07.31.42

Post by mike1984 »

T013 07.31.42

RUSSIA

Sectors: Maikop
The German breakthrough is gaining steam with each shot fired. My lines are shattered, and now it's just a great race to the mountain passes and the sea. At first, I counted only three Panzer corps, but now I see that four were waiting to pounce. This, combined with the infantry corps, was too much for even my three armies plus another two to defend against. My hope here is to salvage a few divisions to defend the mountain pass along the Black Sea. Worse yet, the mobile supply points have been caught up in the panic, and are likely going to be destroyed in retreat.

Though it looks dangerous, the small breakthroughs by the Germans are only more of the same in this part of the Russian Front. I should have little trouble plugging up the two open holes (1 & 2), while still maintaining my reserve force of the 7 Gds Army. My plans for a counter offensive hinge on the front line divisions holding off the Germans for at least another two weeks. Somewhat surprising is how well my Yelets Sector forces have held against the 2 Panzer Armee, which wasn't able to puncture the defenses.

Sectors: Murmansk
Last week, I had the 33 Army all ready to sail from Archangelsk, but completely forgot about them. So now the Germans and Finns are pressing on Murmansk. The 33 Army won't arrive until next week. I should be able to hold until then. This would be a major loss for the Allies.

Return to “After Action Reports”