Rookie Allied Player Looking for Sc 1 Jap Player - Closed

Post here to meet players for PBEM games and generally engage in ribbing and banter about your prowess.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

comsolut

Rookie Allied Player Looking for Sc 1 Jap Player - Closed

Post by comsolut »

When I say rookie, I mean to WITP:AE. I have done a PBEM UV and WITP as the Allies. Lost both. Been playing the AI but lacks the spice and challenge of a live opponent. Looking for a reliable and friendly (willing to talk in a general way about how the game works). I am US EST. Good for a turn every two days (except Turn 2 - so many clicks).

Back to WITP:AE after about 10 WITE Pbem's (two still going on).

Send PM and we can see if there is a good match up.

I grabbed the House rules from the AAR's so feel free to discuss.

Scenario 1

Settings:

Realism options:

FOW ON
advanced Weather ON
Allied damage control ON
PDU Off
historical first turn OFF
Dec 7 surprise ON
reliable USN torps OFF
realistic R&D Off
no unit withdrawels OFF
reinforcements VARIABLE +/- 60 days

Game options:

combat reports ON
auto sub ops OFF
TF move radius ON
plane move radius ON
facilities expand OFF
auto upgrade ships and airgroups OFF
air and ground replacements OFF
turn cycle 1 TURN

House rules:

no new Allied TFs on turn 1
only one Japanese aerial port strike on turn 1
cease fire in China until 1 Feb 42
no Allied strategic bombing of occupied Allied territory at any time, Allied strategic bombing only allowed on Japanese held territory of 12/7/41
no Japanese strat bombing in China
paying pp for restricted units crossing borders
4E bombers restricted to 10k or higher for naval attacks (PBY/Mavis types excluded)
fighter sweeps cannot be performed at an altitude higher than at which they have their maximum maneuverability

Hanzberger

RE: Rookie Allied Player Looking for Sc 1 Jap Player

Post by Hanzberger »

ORIGINAL: comsolut

When I say rookie, I mean to WITP:AE. I have done a PBEM UV and WITP as the Allies. Lost both. Been playing the AI but lacks the spice and challenge of a live opponent. Looking for a reliable and friendly (willing to talk in a general way about how the game works). I am US EST. Good for a turn every two days (except Turn 2 - so many clicks).

Back to WITP:AE after about 10 WITE Pbem's (two still going on).

Send PM and we can see if there is a good match up.

I grabbed the House rules from the AAR's so feel free to discuss.

Scenario 1

Settings:

Realism options:

FOW ON
advanced Weather ON
Allied damage control ON
PDU Off
historical first turn OFF
Dec 7 surprise ON
reliable USN torps OFF
realistic R&D Off
no unit withdrawels OFF
reinforcements VARIABLE +/- 60 days

Game options:

combat reports ON
auto sub ops OFF
TF move radius ON
plane move radius ON
facilities expand OFF
auto upgrade ships and airgroups OFF
air and ground replacements OFF
turn cycle 1 TURN

House rules:

no new Allied TFs on turn 1
only one Japanese aerial port strike on turn 1
cease fire in China until 1 Feb 42
no Allied strategic bombing of occupied Allied territory at any time, Allied strategic bombing only allowed on Japanese held territory of 12/7/41
no Japanese strat bombing in China
paying pp for restricted units crossing borders
4E bombers restricted to 10k or higher for naval attacks (PBY/Mavis types excluded)
fighter sweeps cannot be performed at an altitude higher than at which they have their maximum maneuverability

Just a few questions about your house rules and settings..
Advanced Weather should be off, on means bad weather all the time.
Cease fire in China???
Also another question about China if someone could answer, no strategic bombing. Does that mean industry or everything? No ground attacks?
And, IMO, not sure about the variable reinforcements. Japan has a ton of planning to do already. Would like to see some opinions on this.
PDU off? What fun is that [:D]
I think most ppl are going with fighter sweeps no higher then the 2nd best maneuverable band. Zero=20k Nate =15k
Although I have set mine, in my AI game, to that or below and have seen them fly higher for some reason. Would like some input on that also. Don't wanna be accused of cheating should I ever decide to do PBEM. I personally have never cheated purposely in any game I have ever played.
Good luck with your game, you don't sound like a rookie.
Planning for #17 Ironman Tier2

Japan AC wire chart here
tm.asp?m=2769286&mpage=1&key=?
comsolut

Post by comsolut »

ORIGINAL: Hanzberger
Just a few questions about your house rules and settings..
Advanced Weather should be off, on means bad weather all the time.
Cease fire in China???
Also another question about China if someone could answer, no strategic bombing. Does that mean industry or everything? No ground attacks?
And, IMO, not sure about the variable reinforcements. Japan has a ton of planning to do already. Would like to see some opinions on this.
PDU off? What fun is that
I think most ppl are going with fighter sweeps no higher then the 2nd best maneuverable band. Zero=20k Nate =15k
Although I have set mine, in my AI game, to that or below and have seen them fly higher for some reason. Would like some input on that also. Don't wanna be accused of cheating should I ever decide to do PBEM. I personally have never cheated purposely in any game I have ever played.
Good luck with your game, you don't sound like a rookie.

2.4.2 ADVANCED WEATHER EFFECTS
When Advanced Weather Effects are not in use, the weather forecasts will always be clear on
turn 1 and partly cloudy thereafter. This will result in generally better weather. When Advanced
Weather Effects are on, the weather forecasts will have greater variability and generally result
in worse weather. Forecasts impact the actual weather in the hex, but any particular hex can
have very bad weather even when the forecast is clear. For more information on Weather, refer
to Section 12.0.

Seemed more realistic to me, but if most games are adv weather off that is fine with me.

Cease Fire in China - saw that in one AAR - seems like it gives the Allied player a chance to set some sort of defense up - and just getting back to the game - might give me a chance to become familiar with moving the mass of Chinese troops before getting steam rolled. But again up for discussion.

I though most people like variable reinforcements - shows you what I know.

Just industry (VP) in China. Attacks on ground units are fine.

PDU off - well more complicated when on which I am trying to avoid (yeah right with a game like WITP:AE) and also looking for some adherence to history.

No problem on the fighter sweeps, just want to avoid the high alt problem.

You make it sound like I am out to ambush some Japanese player, when really I am trying to recognize that coming back to this game in AE version is going to be a challenge and certainly I am going to make mistakes getting used to the improved but more detailed system. Going up against a more exp Jap player in Scenario 2 is/would be a mistake for me and my opponent, imho.

Hope I answered your questions.

Lee

Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

I can see how you took what I said wrong, you sound like a worthy opponent. Thanks for the clarifications.

Japan AC wire chart here
comsolut

Post by comsolut »

Yes, well I pulled my offer of a game.

If people perceive I am an some kind of Allied shark just stacking the deck I doubt I would get a good game. Finding a friendly (I have made some very good friends playing PBEM with Matrix games, particularly WITE) and RELIABLE opponents is the toughest challenge to enjoying the game. I was hoping to find a tolerant veteran who would enjoy a good old fashioned Sc 1 and the satisfaction of bring another player into the fold, so to speak. And the chance of gaining another good PBEM opponent.

At least there is the AI and it does not quit, and some more learning might be a good thing.

Hanzberger

Post by Hanzberger »

Don't pull your game offer.

Japan AC wire chart here

Return to “Opponents Wanted”