Bring me the head of Diego Garcia...and the Mayor of Addu Atoll too!

Post descriptions of your brilliant victories and unfortunate defeats here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Cap Mandrake

RE: Hearts and Minds

Post by Cap Mandrake »

No...turn yet...I think it is crossing the Rio Hondo. Pinhead nearly pulled my arm out of its socket on the trail. She spied a rabbit carcass..or at least that is what she thought. In fact it was a giant road apple with about an inch of fungal hyphae. Without my dog whisperer intervention she would hav eaten it. Stupid coprophage.

SG broiled up some filet mignon last night with melted Roquefort on top. Hory Crap that was good.*

*The editorial board is not certain this post adds to the narrative but we are afraid of being sent to the cornfield so we are going to allow it.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

A guy at work told a hilarious story about Algore.

His friend was a poli-sci major at Vanderbilt and worked as a staffer for Gore after his daddy appointed him Senator from Tennessee.

So the staffer and some enviro-scientist types are working on some proposed legislation on "acid rain". Algore walks in with his gigantic cranium and gets a quick update and pretends to know WTF they are talking about. He slaps a couple of the scientist dudes on the back and pronounces, "FANTASTIC! Let's get that pH down to ZERO!"

[:D][:D]
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Editor's Note: The Board has determined that postings of an overtly political nature are not to be allowed, especially when they demean one of the greatest champions of..<POOF>
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

*********16:20, Dec. 25, 1942(c), a hill on the North shore of Bathurst Is.*********

<Two men are watching a large combat ship on the horizon being attacked by dozens of aircraft. A cloud of smoke rises 3000 ft.>

Ezekial @s&*nt**: Father, it is too bad about the war canoe. Many customers.

Fr. O'Brein: I wouldn't worry too much, son. I think they are Japs. Bad tippers and they would just take all the tee times.

Ezekial @s&*nt**: Tee times?
Moondawggie

Post by Moondawggie »

ORIGINAL: Cap Mandrake

*********16:20, Dec. 25, 1942(c), a hill on the North shore of Bathurst Is.*********

<Two men are watching a large combat ship on the horizon being attacked by dozens of aircraft. A cloud of smoke rises 3000 ft.>

Fr. O'Brein: I wouldn't worry too much, son. I think they are Japs. Bad tippers and they would just take all the tee times.

Hmmm: Do I sense a little bit of literary "foreshadowing" taking place here?
"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

SG broiled up some filet mignon last night with melted Roquefort on top. Hory Crap that was good.*
I see.

So, you turn up your nose at fungi-laden ungulate feces, yet you willingly consumed grilled cow muscle and skimmed whey pressed into a brick, left to rot (with lots of fungae swimming about in the whey sick) and then heated until it loses its (dubious) structural integrity?

Speciesist. [:'(]
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

Editor's Note: The Board has determined that postings of an overtly political nature are not to be allowed, especially when they demean one of the greatest champions of..<POOF>
Man...you better NOT have broken the internet! [:-]
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Moondawggie

Naah - he's just "fore-playing" with us .... making us breath heavy while waiting for the main event ...
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

His friend was a poli-sci major at Vanderbilt and worked as a staffer for Gore after his daddy appointed him Senator from Tennessee.

So the staffer and some enviro-scientist types are working on some proposed legislation on "acid rain". Algore walks in with his gigantic cranium and gets a quick update and pretends to know WTF they are talking about. He slaps a couple of the scientist dudes on the back and pronounces, "FANTASTIC! Let's get that pH down to ZERO!"

Sounds like the sort that would sign a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide. After all, thousands die annually from fatal levels of the substance in their bodies. There oughta be a law! [:@]
Moondawggie

Post by Moondawggie »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

Sounds like the sort that would sign a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide. After all, thousands die annually from fatal levels of the substance in their bodies. There oughta be a law! [:@]

Hey: Dihydrogen monoxide is one of the most potent greenhouse gases out there; much more dangerous and powerful than CO2.

We have no choice but to remove all of it from the atmosphere and planet's surface right after we get the PH in our rain down to zero.

Our children's and grandchildren's survival hinges upon on our willingness to make the right decisions for the future of all humanity! [:-]

"The Yankees got all the smart ones, and look where it got them."

General George Pickett, the night before Gettysburg
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

I had no idea there were so many kindred souls on the subject of dihydrogen monoxide, the dioxin of our generation.

I have taken to sleeping on a bed of sea salt and Sargasso Sea sponges to purge myself of the vile contaminant. There is a clinic in Santa Monica that does hypertonic saline enemas and will throw in a double shot of espresso for free on Sundays. I also found a lab in Berkley that does brain assays for Dihrodogen Monoxide...although I haven't quite worked out how to get the specimem.
Chickenboy

Post by Chickenboy »

I had no idea there were so many kindred souls on the subject of dihydrogen monoxide, the dioxin of our generation.

I have taken to sleeping on a bed of sea salt and Sargasso Sea sponges to purge myself of the vile contaminant. There is a clinic in Santa Monica that does hypertonic saline enemas and will throw in a double shot of espresso for free on Sundays. I also found a lab in Berkley that does brain assays for Dihrodogen Monoxide...although I haven't quite worked out how to get the specimem.
Man, I hope those aren't the rare ENDANGERED Sargasso Sea sponges. Hey man-sponges are people too! [:@]

As for Berkeley and brain in the same sentence? I can assure you-the most "baked" my brain ever was was in Berkeley. Don't know about the Dihydrogen monoxide content on that day though.
sanch

Post by sanch »

An alternative to complete removal of this nasty dihydrogen monoxide might be to simply dilute the stuff with the chemical carbon-trihydroxide-carbon-dihydroxide-oxygen-monohydroxide. There are side effects though, so one would need to be careful.
Reg

Post by Reg »

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

'Tis true... [;)]

The MSDS for Dihydrogen oxide has this information:
Section 8: Exposure Controls/Personal Protection
Personal Protection: Safety glasses. Lab coat.

Section 11: Toxicological Information
Routes of Entry: Absorbed through skin. Eye contact.
Toxicity to Animals:
LD50: [Rat] - Route: oral; Dose: > 90 ml/kg

I'm not touching this dangerous stuff... Gimme a beer!!
Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Wouldn't that mean we know what is going to happen? Let's get serious.

No turn yet. I think Admirar Rord Nerson has been attacked by the Apache while he was out chopping wood. Maybe we can barter for the turn at least. How many beads do you think it would take to get an AE turn back?

I think I know why Mr. Chang has started on a landscape building spree. I beleive he may have discovered oil shale on his property. There is a 60 foot drilling rig up there...I'm not kidding. I am half tempted to stay home, anonymously call the HOA and watch when the HOA/SWAT team shows up.

Probably smarter just to wait and see if he hits anything. If he does, I can drill diagonally from my property and drink his milkshake.
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

Got in a pretty big fight last night with SG. The Challenger disaster came up. She volunteered that her ex worked for Rockwell and the Rockwell engineers warned Reagan the night before the launch but that he gave the go ahead for the political value of the teacher on board.

Well, there you go again, goin' after my boy Ronaldus Magnus. I believe I used the word "preposterous" which was not received well. I was having a blast with the topic but I now realize real life is different from the internet.
Crackaces

Post by Crackaces »

Got in a pretty big fight last night with SG. The Challenger disaster came up. She volunteered that her ex worked for Rockwell and the Rockwell engineers warned Reagan the night before the launch but that he gave the go ahead for the political value of the teacher on board.

Well, there you go again, goin' after my boy Ronaldus Magnus. I believe I used the word "preposterous" which was not received well. I was having a blast with the topic but I now realize real life is different from the internet.

I think stalker girl and I saw the same show CAP on the Discovery Channel .. [8D]

The Wiki entry http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shut ... r_disaster has a great background. The problem with O rings was way before Challanger .. and quite a few shuttles were launched with a known defect. The cold weather fulminated the problem.

From an organizational standpoint there is an interesting study in communication flow. First, executives from Morton Thiokol were putting pressure on NASA to close the issue with possible 'O' ring failure since so many flights have been successful and nothing has happened .. yet ... Then on top of that was the perceived pressure of a scheduled Presidential conference with a teacher in space and that set forth a human dyanmics to shut down the communciation flow further. Though there were engineers within NASA and Rockwell that were quite concenred that the old 'O' ring problem would be newly tested on a fine freezing day in Florida none would state with absoulte certainly that the launch should be scrubbed. Given that engineers were speculating about a problem rather than state we tested 'X' and got 'Y' .. the information was not passed to the executive level. This occured at the middle management level not at the Presidential level .. [;)]

A comparision to Operation Market Garden might be made in that information did not flow to the executives in fear of spoiling the show so to speak ... although here they had pictures of tanks ... a far more serious problem with communication flow ...[;)]

This organizational problem is well known .. the Florida flt 90 disaster is a great example, Boeing had multiple reports that the 737's have very dyanamically unstable pitch up flight characteristics if ice accumulated on the leading edges of the wings with slats extended. One such report from England almost involved a disaster but the pilots firewalled the throttles on first sign of pitch up and retracted the slats ...if such a report got out every 737 would be grounded .. so it stayed quiet .. until a cold blizzardly day in Washington where lots of things went wrong .... The story of heroes and the 3 survivors still sends chills down my spine ...
"What gets us into trouble is not what we don't know. It's what we know for sure that just ain't so"
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

<starts thinking>

I wonder when was the last time Admiral Lord Sprior or I watched a combat replay or took a look at the intel repot. It was a bit disconcerting that something the size of Yamato just showed up without warning.[X(]
Cap Mandrake

Post by Cap Mandrake »

[font="Courier New"]Admiral Lord SPrior
Lord High Keeper of the Star of India
Someplace called Tamworth

My Dearest Spri;

A few of the technical boys were wondering. We don't have any O-rings, do we?

With the most sincere ambivalence;

Fleet Admiral Mandrake[/font]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Why is she talking to her ex?

Return to “After Action Reports”