What IS it about this game...

SPWaW is a tactical squad-level World War II game on single platoon or up to an entire battalion through Europe and the Pacific (1939 to 1945).

Moderator: MOD_SPWaW

Rhodan

What IS it about this game...

Post by Rhodan »

...that makes me keep coming back to it !? Greets to the veterans, I see some names of old are still about!
planner 3

RE: What IS it about this game...

Post by planner 3 »

Because You/We like the damm game, why else ? [:)][8D]
"As Pogo said, 'We have met the enemy and he is us' "
JEB Davis

Post by JEB Davis »

Because there is no better game of the same type.

Welcome back.
Reduce SP:WaW slaughter, "Low Carnage":
Settings: 80Spot,80Hit,100R/R,XXXTQ,110TkT,150InfT,180AvSoft,130AvArm,150SOFire / Command & Ctrl ON / AutoRally OFF
Enhanced http://enhanced.freeforums.org
Depot https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/spwawdepot/
parusski

Post by parusski »

I have been playing this game since it was released. SPWAW is a work of art.
"I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are. If I killed them all there would be news from Hell before breakfast."- W.T. Sherman
Krec

Post by Krec »

Still the best ww2 turn based game around. been playing online with the same guys since it came out and the game is still as good as anything around. i keep seeing new realtime games being made and i just laugh, they dont get it. this is a ww2 chess game and no realtime game can ever match it. For ww2 history buffs like myself that like to play with all the different pcs there is nothing better.
"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

Rosollia

Post by Rosollia »

Online game is the main reason why I keep returning to SPWAW from time to time. I have never gotten into e-mail gaming it is just too slow paced having to wait a day just for the next turn. With a friend of mine we have sometimes played 8 hours nonstop SPWAW over the internet. Great times!

It is really a pitty that SPWAW is not developed anymore. I do know about all the mods available, but I mean the actual game code.
rwenstrup

Post by rwenstrup »

Still my favorite computer game! Wish there was a way to continue updating the code...just love the campaigns...
"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

What are pros and cons of this version vs the winSP game over at another web site?
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
Alby

Post by Alby »

ORIGINAL: jjdenver

What are pros and cons of this version vs the winSP game over at another web site?
the biggest thing for me is the combat routine of SPWAW and it just seems 'smoother'to me somehow but to each his own...

Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

Extra features that are not included in winSPWW2, such as transports, gliders, infiltrators, recon.
Rosollia

Post by Rosollia »

Extra features that are not included in winSPWW2, such as transports, gliders, infiltrators, recon.

ummm... but WinSPWW2 has transports (I assume you mean transport planes?), gliders and recon units. It does not have infiltrators which is not really a great loss since those units work unrealisticaly in a game like this.
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

Well, it has units that are called recon units, but I don't see any setting in the OOB that makes them different from small infantry squads. In SPWAW there is a recon setting that makes them spot better and stay in contact better. I asked about this on the SPWW2 forum and they said there is no such feature in that game.
Rosollia

Post by Rosollia »

Well, it has units that are called recon units, but I don't see any setting in the OOB that makes them different from small infantry squads.

The scout units in SPWW2 are size 0 and are thus harder to spot.
gabeeg

Post by gabeeg »

...much harder to spot (unless moving fast)...and they spot bad guys better than non-scout type troops in WinSPWW2. I do not believe that they have enhanced comms capability in WinSPWW2, at least I have not noticed...but could be wrong.
Kind Regards,

Harry
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

Well anyway, according to the developers on their forum, the SPWW2 recon units do not have increased spotting ability. If there is some setting that you know of that affects this please let me know because that is one of the reasons I stopped playing that game, at least for now.

And maybe I'm just getting old but I couldn't find any air transports or gliders in the German or British encyclopedia.
Cross

Post by Cross »

ORIGINAL: Falcon1

Well anyway, according to the developers on their forum, the SPWW2 recon units do not have increased spotting ability. If there is some setting that you know of that affects this please let me know because that is one of the reasons I stopped playing that game, at least for now.

And maybe I'm just getting old but I couldn't find any air transports or gliders in the German or British encyclopedia.

You are right that in SPWW2 scouts/recon do not get additional spotting ability.

The rationale is: why should 'scouts' get increased spotting ability over say an infantry squad?
Scouts are usually just a few random men sent out from a regular infantry company anyway.
Unless they are part of a special recon regiment, in which case they may get additional experience and therefore additional spotting ability.
Experience - in SPWW2 - is the main factor for soldiers to get additional spotting ability.
As a small unit (4 men) they are size 0 (as pointed out) and harder to spot, so can move slowly or lie up and observe, hopefully spotting the enemy before they are spotted.

SPWW2 Air Transport

All the major powers have gliders and Paratroop transport aircraft.
And some even have helicopters in the late war.

Germany
Ju 52 Paratroop Transport
DFS 230 Glider
Gotha Go-242 Glider
Fa 223 Drache Helicopter

Britain
Douglas Dakota Paratroop Transport
Horsa Glider
Hamilcar Glider
Hoverfly I Helicopter
Hoverfly II Helicopter

OOB

SPWW2 OOB are much larger than WaW

Example:

Germany
SPWW2: 980 units
SPWaW: 260 units

Battle Size Formation Limit:
SPWW2: 200
SPWaW: 100

cheers,
Cross
Cross
Conduct youself with honour, and there is victory even in defeat.
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

Well I'm sure it can be argued either way about the recon spotting. One could say that recon units should spot better because they are trained for it. In SPWAW the recon ability can also be given to a vehicle, in which case it wouldn't make sense to give a different size setting from a non-recon vehicle of the same type.

For the transports, I'm sure you are right. I didn't see any of those units when I looked in the encyclopedia just today, but I must be getting old. I also haven't played a scenario or campaign using those features. I'm not denying the benefit of the larger OOB capacity.
Cross

Post by Cross »

Yes, scout/recon ability is probably a personal preference, and it's not like the enemy get better spotting than we do [;)]

If you compare the differences between SPWaW and SPWW2, many are just a personal preference, but there's also plenty of features which are clear improvements:

Screen size
WW2: Up to 1600x1200 or 1920x1080 (with full CD version, or windowed 800X600 without)
WaW: 800x600 (full screen only)

Hill Levels
WW2: 15 hill levels
WaW: 3 hill levels

Seasons (seasonal map terrain graphics)
WW2: summer, fall and winter colours with AFV snow camo

Infantry Uniform Colours
WW2: 5 infantry uniform colours
WaW: 4 infantry uniform colours

Sounds
This is one area where WaW is clearly superior to WW2.

WaW: 600 sounds
WW2: 150 sounds (up to 256 sounds with OOB edits)

The WaW sounds are better quality and a greater variety.
There is a SPWW2 sound mod which improves the quality of the WW2 sounds; and many of these sounds are better quality than the WaW sounds, but the mod is still only 150 sounds.

Artillery
The artillery routine in WW2 is far less gamey. The most significant difference is that your artillery falls at the end of your opponents turn after they have moved; not at the end of your own turn.
WaW unrealistically allows you to adjust artillery directly onto fast moving vehicles.

Armour
WaW measures armour in mm instead of the cm used by WW2.
This makes no difference to most combat resolution results except WaW can model low penetration weapons (like Anti-Tank rifles) against light armour (5mm to 10mm) more realistically.

PBEM Campaigns
for 2 human players:
WW2 only (full CD version)

Online Hot Seat Game
WaW only

Opportunity fire
WW2 has an Op Fire filter (WW2 full version)
This filter allows players to control what targets units will attack and at what ranges.

Unloading units attract ‘opportunity fire’ (WW2)

With WaW you can choose when/if to op-fire against the AI, but some say this gives the human player an unfair advantage over the AI.

Movement Features
Reversing Tanks (WW2)
Load/unload costs (WW2 doesn’t allow gamey relay tactics)
Choose rally/retreat direction (WW2)

Other Differences
Suspension damage (WaW only)
Shoot through smoke/ non-line of sight area fire (WW2 only)
Paratroops draw ground fire while descending (WW2 only)
Guns/vehicles parachute separately from crews (WW2 only)
Company/formation identity numbers (WW2 full CD version only)
Motorcycle troops can dismount and fight (WW2 only)

Cross
Cross
Conduct youself with honour, and there is victory even in defeat.
Rosollia

Post by Rosollia »

I think the most noticeable difference between SPWAW and SPWW2 is that SPWW2 plays alot slower than SPWAW. In SPWW2 the vehicles move shorter distances in a turn and the infantry is alot tougher (especialy if it is entrenched). A battle that could take 10 turns in SPWAW can take 30 in SPWW2. Due to this I usualy avoid large battles in SPWW2 especialy if they are infantry heavy.
Falcon1

Post by Falcon1 »

When reading the WAW manual, which I did again just recently, I remember several times wondering if WW2 had the same level of detail, since i couldn't recall anything similar in the manual when I read it some time ago. But that is just hearsay I know. The armor thickness and penetration, I don't know why but i always liked that WAW had better resolution. For some reason WW2 gave me the feeling of reduced difference between the armor units, especially lightly armored as you said.

It is nice to be able to run windowed mode at desktop resolution with WW2 and keep explorer running. (I bought the CD for both WW2 and MBT) But in general I think the higher resolutions available are a bit over rated. At anything higher than 1024x768, the fonts are too small for my eyes, and I also end up hitting the "+" key to increase the size of hexes on the map.

I think the one main thing that keeps me coming back to WAW is the existence of the megacampaigns and the vast amount of high quality user created content. Maybe some day WW2 will catch up.

Return to “Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns”