Manufacturing Plants

Distant Worlds is a vast, pausable real-time, 4X space strategy game which models a "living galaxy" with incredible options for replayability and customizability. Experience the full depth and detail of large turn-based strategy games, but with the simplicity and ease of real-time, and on the scale of a massively-multiplayer online game. Now greatly enhanced with the new Universe release, which includes all four previous releases as well as the new Universe expansion!

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

weblife

Manufacturing Plants

Post by weblife »

Do you need all three kinds to build something? - Or can, for example, a HighTech Plant build all items?

I think I saw a post somewhere, where it was mentioned that they could, but they would build slower when making components of the "wrong" techtype.

Can anyone confirm or deny this theory? [:)]
Shark7

RE: Manufacturing Plants

Post by Shark7 »

Yep, you need at least one of each type plus the construction module to build ships.

So each ship or Station you want to build/repair with should have at least one of each type of plant, else it won't build or repair anything.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
Lonck

Post by Lonck »

plants build the items while the arms put them together. Each manu builds components of that family. Also, the more manus the faster a component is built.
Astax

Post by Astax »

I been griping about this also.  If you need all kinds, why even make the distinction? Can someone come up with a scenario where you would specificlly install an uneven number of these?
Raap

Post by Raap »

Wouldn't that depend on the actual ship you're building? Most ships have a majority of HighTech( shields, engines, etc.) components, so maybe having more of those would make some kind of sense.

At any rate, right now it doesn't really matter since ship building is so quick anyway, and building more plants if needed aren't exactly going to cripple your economy. Usually the only real delay is with transporting materials to the space port or planet.
onomastikon

Post by onomastikon »

Probably in some prototype of DW, the creator took the mechanics of the predecessor, Space Empires. In its latest iteration, SE-V, things were exactly the same: 3 types of plants for the 3 types of materials. In SE-V, you might actually see a slight difference, depending if you needed more biomaterials etc. This may have been the case in the original workings of DW, but is no longer really relevant. Just my speculation of course, but I really cannot see a scenario where manufacturing need be diversified.
feelotraveller

Post by feelotraveller »

ORIGINAL: Astax

I been griping about this also.  If you need all kinds, why even make the distinction? Can someone come up with a scenario where you would specificlly install an uneven number of these?

At 40+ yards building only (or just about only) civilian ships I would put a second energy plant and a second hi tech plant (but not a second weapons plant). Otherwise building speed would start to slow slightly, or you would have a redundant weapons plant.

Pretty hard to ensure that you would have a sufficient ongoing supply of civilian orders at this spaceport to make that scenario pratical though... Given the low potential cost though it's worth building a second weapons plant just in case (as will happen sooner or later) you decide to use this mega-builder port to construct military.

Other than that you'd be looking at ridiculous numbers of yards before any imbalance of plant types would be useful.
Litjan

Post by Litjan »

It´s another example of where "role-playing" superseeded "gameplay". Just like building a ship from scratch - you can´t build one without a command bridge (or whatever its called) - so why not just do away with that requirement? There is no decision to be made here - just some tedious button clicks for the player. Yes, you could add a second bridge for redundancy - but why not slap on some extra armor instead?

Jan
jpwrunyan

Post by jpwrunyan »

More clicky clicky = moar fun

Return to “Distant Worlds 1 Series”